DH tyres help?

PB Forum :: Downhill
DH tyres help?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 7, 2012 at 14:56 Quote
so i'm looking to get a good pair of mud tyres, i've got a dirty dan 2.35 wired at the front but seems to not have much grip anymore.
so i'm looking around for something to do me in the real irish 3inchs thick mud real nasty mud something thats gunna run throw the mud like a knife going through butter but keeping its grip

cheers
alan

Posted: Nov 14, 2012 at 15:20 Quote
rufo wrote:
so i'm looking to get a good pair of mud tyres, i've got a dirty dan 2.35 wired at the front but seems to not have much grip anymore.
so i'm looking around for something to do me in the real irish 3inchs thick mud real nasty mud something thats gunna run throw the mud like a knife going through butter but keeping its grip

cheers
alan

What did you end up getting? I got home a week ago and went riding and there is no two ways about it, you need mud tyres in Ireland!! It was close to unrideable on my minions. I'm thinking Swamp things. Heard nothing but good about them. Dirty Dans are very expensive.

Posted: Nov 14, 2012 at 15:33 Quote
What did you end up getting? I got home a week ago and went riding and there is no two ways about it, you need mud tyres in Ireland!! It was close to unrideable on my minions. I'm thinking Swamp things. Heard nothing but good about them. Dirty Dans are very expensive.[/Quote]

i didn't buy anything yet mate, i've my old dirty dan from last year. using that on the front with a 2.3 highroller on the back. back wheel slipping all over the place.
i don't really care to much for the price just so long as its good and lasts. i dont think i'm gunno bother getting swamp things as there nobs are small and the dirtydan ones are bigger, but they slow you down and its hard to pedal onces it's after getting into the dry section.

Posted: Nov 15, 2012 at 0:00 Quote
I run Maxxis wet screams when it's wet and minions In the dry. High rollers when it's hard packed. These three have never failed me

Posted: Nov 15, 2012 at 2:39 Quote
I've got a few sets of tyres, Wetscreams for super muddy conditions, Swampthing for damp conditions, and a Minion DHF/Highroller for anything else.

The wetscreams have yet to let me down Smile

Thing is I got them both in 42a, I might have gotten a 60a for the rear...

Posted: Nov 16, 2012 at 0:46 Quote
I'm running wet screams at the moment and they are fine in the mud, but they done like anything hard. They still grip ok but the get chewed up quickly.

If you like the tread pattern on the dirty dans then try a wider tired to spread the blocks further, getting more grip and spreading the load over more mud, so that you sink in less.

Posted: Nov 16, 2012 at 10:28 Quote
Don't skimp on the compounds , you cant have super soft rubber grip AND good wear life , it's one or the other regardless of what the companies tell you.

Posted: Nov 16, 2012 at 10:31 Quote
You need to stick to the tyre suited to the conditions, it doesnt take long to change them if it dries. 2.5s are much better in all condtions especially in the wet, but that may be personal preference

Posted: Nov 16, 2012 at 10:33 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
I've got a few sets of tyres, Wetscreams for super muddy conditions, Swampthing for damp conditions, and a Minion DHF/Highroller for anything else.

The wetscreams have yet to let me down Smile

Thing is I got them both in 42a, I might have gotten a 60a for the rear...
For regular dry tyres 60a on the rear is a good idea but I think in the cold when you run a wetscream, 42a for front and rear tyres are better Ive heard

Posted: Nov 16, 2012 at 10:47 Quote
five-10 wrote:
For regular dry tyres 60a on the rear is a good idea but I think in the cold when you run a wetscream, 42a for front and rear tyres are better Ive heard

I'm just slightly worried they won't last long Big Grin

Posted: Nov 16, 2012 at 10:52 Quote
Yeah I know mine are pretty done lol especially since they have been cut down.

Posted: Nov 16, 2012 at 10:57 Quote
I've got the swampthings for "less" muddy trails Smile

Posted: Nov 16, 2012 at 11:26 Quote
Muddy marys are the best allround wet tyre I have used so far , great in the wet , great in the dry , be sure to buy them in vert star.

Posted: Nov 16, 2012 at 13:06 Quote
i've used the dirty dan now for the year and never onces has this tyre slipped on wet rock but roots, i always find it slipping.
i haven't got a rear mud tyre either i'm using a highroller at 2.5

was thinking about the intense dh tyre system ones

Posted: Nov 16, 2012 at 13:23 Quote
You won't find any tyre that actually grips on wet roots ... Maybe the snow spiked ones, but not even sure ...

Dirty dans, wetscream, they're all pretty good Smile

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013746
Mobile Version of Website