Why are bikes much more expensive in the UK than US? (Transition, for example)

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Why are bikes much more expensive in the UK than US? (Transition, for example)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 3, 2012 at 6:17 Quote
I was recently having a gander at the transition website, looking at the Transition TR450 2 which is about $4399 USD. Converted to pounds that's £2745 GBP. I then realised this was in my price range so took went looking for UK distributors...
Oh my... £4470... that's equivalent to $7163.40...

Seriously, what the actual flip? If somebody could shed some light on this (and maybe a US distributor that sends bikes to the UK) it may put my mind at ease... but wow. It's absurd.

Posted: Nov 3, 2012 at 14:19 Quote
Tax and shipping and what ever else they want too add on top
Shocking ain't it

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 3, 2012 at 14:34 Quote
What would be interesting to see, if if Transition imports all of their bikes to the states and then exports them from there to the Uk. Right there you are going to have to absorb two points at which the product will be taxed for import. Then there is the extra distance the product must travel to Europe.

And of course, every company that touches the bike along the way is going to want to get the maximum amount of profit they can from it.

Posted: Nov 3, 2012 at 14:53 Quote
Yes, import duty and VAT seems to have the effect of converting dollar prices in to GBP without any reduction whatsoever.

If you're spending a large amount you might consider going on holiday with an empty bike bag and bringing it back full. Not legit but the saving might pay for the trip at least!

Posted: Nov 3, 2012 at 15:09 Quote
twebeast wrote:
Yes, import duty and VAT seems to have the effect of converting dollar prices in to GBP without any reduction whatsoever.

If you're spending a large amount you might consider going on holiday with an empty bike bag and bringing it back full. Not legit but the saving might pay for the trip at least!
Bring a few back Wink sell them at daft prices

Posted: Nov 6, 2012 at 12:12 Quote
I think it must be import tax or something to do with that. Ive just brought a gopro 3 off the gopro website, it was listed up as $270 so when i converted it using different online $ - £ converters it was saying it would be £180 which seemed to good to be true but when i was going through the check out stages it was actually £280.

Posted: Nov 9, 2012 at 8:50 Quote
What would the 'politics' of holidaying out in say, Canada then coming back with le bicycle? If it's used, do I still have to pay tax etc?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.037491
Mobile Version of Website