does anybody else know the truth about global warming

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
does anybody else know the truth about global warming
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 at 8:18 Quote
Exactly... One thing people don't usually think about when they are trying to help people in third world countries is if they become first world countries we will run out of resources much quicker than we can find alternatives to these resources. There are more than 2 billion people in poverty and millions die each day and ya it'd be great solve those problems but there will always but unintended consequences that we will have to deal with

I just don't have enough faith in humanity that people will be able to manage their resources properly so as to stay in existence

Posted: Jul 1, 2010 at 14:03 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
Exactly... One thing people don't usually think about when they are trying to help people in third world countries is if they become first world countries we will run out of resources much quicker than we can find alternatives to these resources. There are more than 2 billion people in poverty and millions die each day and ya it'd be great solve those problems but there will always but unintended consequences that we will have to deal with

I just don't have enough faith in humanity that people will be able to manage their resources properly so as to stay in existence
And we have a winner.

Posted: Jul 1, 2010 at 14:10 Quote
As said, countries like India, China, Nigeria, even some European countries, just have way too many people. You'll start to see that change as we run out of food (right now we have enough to feed everyone.)

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 at 0:11 Quote
marty660 wrote:
As said, countries like India, China, Nigeria, even some European countries, just have way too many people. You'll start to see that change as we run out of food (right now we have enough to feed everyone.)
No, we don't.

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 at 0:29 Quote
thecollonadekid wrote:
marty660 wrote:
No, we don't.
Yes we do, its just not distributed to the places that need it most.

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 at 1:43 Quote
@rob: No, we don't. The best estimates for what the Earth can supply adequate food for is around 5-6 billion, the current population is 6.85 billion. We are already starting to see the efects of this as people are starting to starve in a lot of third world countries and in the next 20 years or so I reckon we will see the largest humanitarian disaster of all time.

@marty: Most European countries' populations are fairly stable, if not decreasing, and there are plenty of supplies to go around, the main problem is that a lot of European counties have an aging population as people are living longer and as a result of the baby boom after WW2, meaning that there is a greater proportion of elderly people.

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 at 2:24 Quote
[Quote="chrisispringles"]@rob: No, we don't. The best estimates for what the Earth can supply adequate food for is around 5-6 billion, the current population is 6.85 billion. We are already starting to see the efects of this as people are starting to starve in a lot of third world countries and in the next 20 years or so I reckon we will see the largest humanitarian disaster of all time.

@marty: Most European countries' populations are fairly stable, if not decreasing, and there are plenty of supplies to go around, the main problem is that a lot of European counties have an aging population as people are living longer and as a result of the baby boom after WW2, meaning that there is a greater proportion of elderly people.
bigquotes The world produces enough food to feed everyone. World agriculture produces 17 percent more calories per person today than it did 30 years ago, despite a 70 percent population increase. This is enough to provide everyone in the world with at least 2,720 kilocalories (kcal) per person per day (FAO 2002, p.9). The principal problem is that many people in the world do not have sufficient land to grow, or income to purchase, enough food.
Granted this is old data.

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 at 8:22 Quote
chrisispringles wrote:
@rob: No, we don't. The best estimates for what the Earth can supply adequate food for is around 5-6 billion, the current population is 6.85 billion. We are already starting to see the efects of this as people are starting to starve in a lot of third world countries and in the next 20 years or so I reckon we will see the largest humanitarian disaster of all time.

People aren't starting to starve in a lot of third wold countries, they've been starving to death for decades already at this point. Meaning the problem has been around since before we exceeded said estimated threshold.

In most of the countries affected, poverty and a lack of education is the driving force, not the world's abiliity to sustain food growth. In other nations political factors and civil unrest are large contributors as well.

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 at 10:29 Quote
The food source problem is one that will become apparent soon. Right now it is mainly the political factors that fuel starvation. One of the big problems is desertification. Poor farming techniques and droughts create land that cannot be farmed. And that's happening at a rapid rate

Sry for typos or Anything else like that. I'm on a iPhone

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 at 13:38 Quote
The reason European populations are stable is because we reaped the benefits of being the first to industrialize.

Colonization anyone? If it hadn't been for the New World and World Wars Europe would've had ridiculous populations and would look like India right now.

I've heard we're at the maximum we can feed the world right now.

Europe is ridiculously overpopulated, and this is even when Russia is included - there's no way that European farming alone could feed all those people with such little land.

Like pre-industrialization populations for England in 1740 was 6 million; 160 years later it was like ~million I believe.

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 at 13:41 Quote
The most important thing to help third world countries is probably education.

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 at 16:33 Quote
I agree that we have enough food worldwide (look at how much food is wasted in America alone from people buying too much and then having to empty out their fridge), but it is not distributed equally among all. Because the food industry is privatized, it is sometimes impossible for poor families in countries around the world to get what they need to survive (this is why we have soup kitchens, etc).

And we could probably GREATLY increase the worldwide food production too through utilization of hydroponics and other technologies (such as stacked growing greenhouses). Growing stuff in the ground has been surpassed and is spectacularly inefficient. There was an article on this in the Scientific American; I'll try to find it again.

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 at 16:37 Quote
Hydroponics might be better, but if you look at a mass scale, it would be very hard to implement I think. That AND it costs a lot more money.

Even if we DO have enough food to feed the world, people would most likely get enough to survive, not enough to be comfortable.

Posted: Jul 9, 2010 at 7:38 Quote
I think global warming = Bull crap!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013194
Mobile Version of Website