Official Ghetto Parts Thread

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Official Ghetto Parts Thread
Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 5:42 Quote
It's gonna take a freak accident to bend the cogs on a cassette. Either that or extreme hack riding.

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 7:19 Quote
Wasmachineman-NL wrote:
dingus wrote:
It's gonna take a freak accident to bend the cogs on a cassette. Either that or extreme hack riding.
Those XTR cassettes bend way too easily.

Actually, many pros sponsored by Shimano use Dura-Ace cassettes.

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 7:30 Quote
mnorris122 wrote:
iffoverload wrote:
love this threadtup ,

not really very ghetto

bailout gear

how well does it shift?

using it with a mid cage X9, took it for a little workout today.
it shifts up quick n clean, i was very surprised, shifting down feels a bit slow but is OK,takes a good 1/2 to 3/4 revolution at least to for the chain to drop, maybe an extra link would help it? as the cage is pretty streched out, otherwise did not have any probs with it at all. (did not use the granny ring at all today!Big Grin )

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 12:39 Quote
Saw this on FB! Pretty ghetto for a chain guide, almost to the level of that wooden one! Wonder how it would last but for a bottle top and some tie wraps it's pretty dang good!

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/64890_509224012446255_2057997882_n.jpg

Posted: Mar 10, 2013 at 21:47 Quote
Wasmachineman-NL wrote:
I wouldn't use a ExTeeAr cassette on a DH bike, the titanium cogs bend way too easily, I unknowingly assume
fyp. You should stop that.

Posted: Mar 11, 2013 at 3:21 Quote
SamDF wrote:
Saw this on FB! Pretty ghetto for a chain guide, almost to the level of that wooden one! Wonder how it would last but for a bottle top and some tie wraps it's pretty dang good!

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/64890_509224012446255_2057997882_n.jpg

thats point and win fer ghetto right there bro, its ace Smile

Posted: Mar 11, 2013 at 20:55 Quote
Wasmachineman-NL wrote:
willy94 wrote:
Wasmachineman-NL wrote:
I wouldn't use a ExTeeAr cassette on a DH bike, the titanium cogs bend way too easily, I unknowingly assume
fyp. You should stop that.
Go read Mtbr and see for yourself.

because everything on the internet is true Rolleyes

my slx was ti cogs (the lower 6) never bent one tooth even with power shifting.

Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 3:19 Quote
dude please show us all of your supposedly bent cassettes, i know tons of people who run 10spd XTR working at a shop and literally none have bent a cassete f*ck off with the MTBR crap

Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 4:41 Quote
thebillygoat6000 wrote:
dude please show us all of your supposedly bent cassettes, i know tons of people who run 10spd XTR working at a shop and literally none have bent a cassete f*ck off with the MTBR crap

jerrey, jerrey, jerrey, jerrey. ya do have a point though. well on both counts actually, unlees anyone shifts like an idiot sprocket do not bend, ive only ever bent two, thelowest two and that was only because of a crash n i shift hard Smile
seriously though............................................jerrey, jerrey, jerrey, jerrey.......lolSalute Helmet Salute

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 5:29 Quote
whoa whoa whoa everybody calm down. lol. That's true imo though. Bent cogs happen due to improper set up, or improper technique. That being said, Ive never ridden with any "superlight" cassettes, SRAM 990's and Shimano XT are what I have run mostly. But I find it hard to believe that an XTR would just bend under power...

Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 5:41 Quote
DARKSTAR63 wrote:
whoa whoa whoa everybody calm down. lol. That's true imo though. Bent cogs happen due to improper set up, or improper technique. That being said, Ive never ridden with any "superlight" cassettes, SRAM 990's and Shimano XT are what I have run mostly. But I find it hard to believe that an XTR would just bend under power...
they dont just happen but he reads mtbr stuff so he thinks it must happen all the time

Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 6:33 Quote
thebillygoat6000 wrote:
DARKSTAR63 wrote:
they dont just happen but he reads mtbr stuff so he thinks it must happen all the time

That is often the way some make things look at EmptyBeer (formerly known as MTBR).
It's the same place that is the origin of the "X0 cranks explode if you look at them wrong".
What is mostly forgotten there during the product bashing, is that the product in question was sold in huge numbers, so that it's possible to find 10 that has failed, makes it a very fine product, as that will amount to a 0.01% failure rate Wink

I am quite certain that is the case here regarding the XTR cassettes as well.

Magura Smile

Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 6:48 Quote
No, xo are to the point where at a nationals race 10-12 sets are snapped. Even at a local competition I saw 4-5 snapped pairs in a singe weekend, they literally drop like flies. again you are wrong, 99% sure we started the xo jokes and they followed suit.

And what about sixc cranks? Not one set has been warrantied that was soley from riding (ie no crashes) I'd say that's a little better than SRAMs quality control.

Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 7:08 Quote
willy94 wrote:
No, xo are to the point where at a nationals race 10-12 sets are snapped. Even at a local competition I saw 4-5 snapped pairs in a singe weekend, they literally drop like flies. again you are wrong, 99% sure we started the xo jokes and they followed suit.

And what about sixc cranks? Not one set has been warrantied that was soley from riding (ie no crashes) I'd say that's a little better than SRAMs quality control.

This is not a discussion about cranks.

I simply pointed out that in most cases, 1 feather turns into an entire chicken farm, when something broken is posted on MTBR, and here as well from time to time..

I very much doubt you're right about the X0, as they would have stopped making them if 10% failed within one race.
Just as I doubt Shimano would continue to make XTR cassettes the way they do, and have been for like 10 years at least, if they failed left and right, and had to be warrantied.

Companies in that scale, are not quite as ignorant as some people tend to expect.
They monitor failure rates closely, as they have no benefit from keeping on shipping products that fails.

Magura Smile

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2013 at 7:17 Quote
Yeah except you don't see carbon race face cranks at the races....... The XO DH crank is ridiculously light for it's purpose. It pushes the envelope when it comes to duribility. But it's stiff and light and therefore finds a home on many a race bike. Does that make it a defective product? No, I don't think so. It part of your personal responsibility to choose parts that meet your needs. If you need your DH bike to be super f'in light. You can do that. But it comes at a price. People destroy wheels on a regular basis too...amongst other things. DH racing put's a bike to it's limit, weekend after weekend. Adverse conditions don't help either. I never blew apart/wore through so many bearings in my life untill I started racing DH often in the pouring rain. But to get back on topic.... You can build a crank that will last forever (Saint :lolSmile or you can build one thats lighter, but maybe not as strong. Your riding style and weight factor in too. 250 lbs vs 150 .... who's breaking carbon cranks?? Prob not the little guy.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015467
Mobile Version of Website