Anyone still riding Giant AC? post them here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Anyone still riding Giant AC? post them here!
Posted: Jul 21, 2017 at 2:41 Quote
Have you heard of 27.5 in those forks or in AC frames in general. Or do i just buy a Trance at upgrade time. ???[/Quote]
If you are going to upgrade from the AC buy a REIGN.[/Quote]

I dont go hard or big enough to warrant a Reign.
A trail bike will do me fine. Maybe even the Anthem X.

Posted: Jul 22, 2017 at 18:12 Quote
https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/14967884/ About to try some 27.5 rims on the AC. These are a pair of 26 x 2.5 tioga white tigers. they fit easy.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 10:04 Quote
Does anyone else run a giant ac internal routing? New car so using a carrier instead and cables getting caught/stretched so looking to change to internal routing..

Just wanna know if anyone else has done it?

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 17:41 Quote
frenzi365 wrote:
Does anyone else run a giant ac internal routing? New car so using a carrier instead and cables getting caught/stretched so looking to change to internal routing..

Just wanna know if anyone else has done it?
I never got around to doing it but I looked into it. If you drill in the right places far enough from the welds it should work. I would get some internal routing plastic/rubber inserts for the hole and glue them in place.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 15:59 Quote
photo
photo

Thanks for lots of helpful info in this thread, was useful in fixing up this 2004 AC2 that I picked up from a friend.

The bearings that were in the rear of the original rockers were disintegrated and the outer race looked welded in. Saw these new rockers on ebay with bearings installed.

Still need to replace rest of pivot bearings and fork seals with parts that I ordered from RWC. I'm waffling on whether I want to try to use sockets or order some of their bearing guides.

Posted: Aug 30, 2017 at 7:58 Quote
Took the plunge today and decided to go all internal on the routing. I'm running remote front shock, remote rear shock and just bought a nukeproof oklo internal dropper post too. I'm converting to 1x11 shimano slx so one cable removed.

I'm also gonna be getting it resprayed too, filed away all the cable holding points and the stupid giant bash guard mounts) just can't decide on colour (disadvantage of working in a car body shop) I have stencils cut that are same size as the existing. I'm thinking doing them in Kashima gold to match the forks/rear shock. Headtube badge and pivot same gold and the rest of the bike matt black.

Now all the points are gone and the stripping started, drilling starts next day work is quiet! Got all the cable routing points off crc so watch this space...

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 at 21:29 Quote
Good start on your conversion timecop & frenzi365 the internal routing sounds awesome, lets see some pics. Keep the AC builds alive!

Posted: Aug 31, 2017 at 22:45 Quote
Haven't posted here for awhile but I've lurked. I'm really stoked on seeing your finished build frenzi, internal cable routing DIY, ambitious..ill buy your chainstays off you when your bike crumples like a pop can lol...just kidding...make it so and post pics! Color choices sound awesome, when I repainted my AC I had the entire pantone catalog at my disposal and then some, so I feel your pain on picking colors.

My ac is enjoying life at ease on the wall in my garage, but I wish that I could get some non cracked chainstays to build her back up...maybe one day.

Posted: Sep 2, 2017 at 20:17 Quote
Davschall wrote:
Haven't posted here for awhile but I've lurked. I'm really stoked on seeing your finished build frenzi, internal cable routing DIY, ambitious..ill buy your chainstays off you when your bike crumples like a pop can lol...just kidding...make it so and post pics! Color choices sound awesome, when I repainted my AC I had the entire pantone catalog at my disposal and then some, so I feel your pain on picking colors.

My ac is enjoying life at ease on the wall in my garage, but I wish that I could get some non cracked chainstays to build her back up...maybe one day.

Risse Racing can make just about anything, machine shop that does bike stuff & builds their own forks & shock.
I've had bushings made and sent several people there for chain-stays.
www.risseracing.com

Posted: Sep 3, 2017 at 0:19 Quote
E-ROG wrote:
Risse Racing can make just about anything, machine shop that does bike stuff & builds their own forks & shock.
www.risseracing.com

I may give them a call but I imagine prices will be through the roof eh? Custom work is never cheap I love y ac lol but not enough to drop 500-1K on it just for the chainstays. Ill call em Tuesday though just to get a quote. Thanks erog, always there with an answer!

Posted: Sep 3, 2017 at 12:28 Quote
Davschall wrote:
E-ROG wrote:
www.risseracing.com

I may give them a call but I imagine prices will be through the roof eh? Custom work is never cheap I love y ac lol but not enough to drop 500-1K on it just for the chainstays. Ill call em Tuesday though just to get a quote. Thanks erog, always there with an answer!

There is a pic on here somewhere of a stock AC chainstay with extra bracing welded on underneath, looks simple, strong and cheap.

Posted: Sep 3, 2017 at 21:37 Quote
Gotcha so that was risse racing that welded those? One thing I've always been confused on is once you weld t-6 does it stay t-6 or do you have to reheat treat it...IDK, I shot them an email so we will see what they quote me...if it's a good deal I'll do it, otherwise I'm not sure. The build for the AC could be great, if my brother would do some necessary upgrades to his bike for his Clyde butt lol. I also have a talas 34 I got for a steal from a buddy last year that I want to build a bike around so we will see I guess. Thanks for the info!

Posted: Sep 4, 2017 at 17:36 Quote
Davschall wrote:
E-ROG wrote:
www.risseracing.com

I think to repair was in the 200s and to fabricate a new one probably 400. But I'm not sure.

Posted: Sep 5, 2017 at 10:55 Quote
Davschall wrote:
Gotcha so that was risse racing that welded those? One thing I've always been confused on is once you weld t-6 does it stay t-6 or do you have to reheat treat it...IDK, I shot them an email so we will see what they quote me...if it's a good deal I'll do it, otherwise I'm not sure. The build for the AC could be great, if my brother would do some necessary upgrades to his bike for his Clyde butt lol. I also have a talas 34 I got for a steal from a buddy last year that I want to build a bike around so we will see I guess. Thanks for the info!

Generally speaking you can assume the whole part goes to anneal condition whenever you weld unless you know exactly what you are doing and know where the failure points are. So yes, you will need to re-heat treat.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015865
Mobile Version of Website