The Zerode Thread.

PB Forum :: Other
The Zerode Thread.
Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
jmartinbiking wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:

Don't know if this guy is still around... Got my finger on the trigger to get a Taniwha or Katipo.. I see people who dual crown them seem to be fitting custom crowns? Will something like a regular Boxxer not work?

Also who has long stroked their bikes and what size did you go to?

he's still active on PB, try shooting him a message.

Ahh nice to see this thread isn't dead, hard to find anyone with these bikes...

So is the hype still real with the rear suspension or have other bikes like the new Specialized Enduro now caught up? I read the Zerode is good at small hits but on square edge hits some other bikes fair better due to their more rearward axle path?

What are peoples weights and what coils are they using?

Or if anyone knows of a more active forum?

Well, I had a 2018 Zerode Taniwha in a size LG. I have had numerous other bikes. All 3 Evil's, GG Smash and Megatrail, then also a Devinci Django as well as a Stumpy Evo 2019 which I am on now. The Zerode handles rough chatter better than any of those. It is smoother because the weight off the rear so traction is pretty good on it. But I had a build that had ENVE, Chris King, Hope, Fox 36, X2 and light stuff and mine was high 34 pounds with like 950 Gram tires. So a pretty spendy build on it.

The geometry just wasn't aggressive enough and the no shift under load is annoying but you get used to it. I think the cost is the main issue really.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 13:35 Quote
downhillnews wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
jmartinbiking wrote:

he's still active on PB, try shooting him a message.

So is the hype still real with the rear suspension or have other bikes like the new Specialized Enduro now caught up? I read the Zerode is good at small hits but on square edge hits some other bikes fair better due to their more rearward axle path?

Well, I had a 2018 Zerode Taniwha in a size LG. I have had numerous other bikes. All 3 Evil's, GG Smash and Megatrail, then also a Devinci Django as well as a Stumpy Evo 2019 which I am on now. The Zerode handles rough chatter better than any of those. It is smoother because the weight off the rear so traction is pretty good on it. But I had a build that had ENVE, Chris King, Hope, Fox 36, X2 and light stuff and mine was high 34 pounds with like 950 Gram tires. So a pretty spendy build on it.

The geometry just wasn't aggressive enough and the no shift under load is annoying but you get used to it. I think the cost is the main issue really.

I spoke to Rob and I asked why the head angle wasn't so slack.. he said because he needs to sell bikes. He told me he runs a minus 2 degree angleset on his own bikes. I see the Katipo is slightly slacker and has a steeper seat tube. What is your main gripe with the geometry?

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 7:25 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
downhillnews wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:

I spoke to Rob and I asked why the head angle wasn't so slack.. he said because he needs to sell bikes. He told me he runs a minus 2 degree angleset on his own bikes. I see the Katipo is slightly slacker and has a steeper seat tube. What is your main gripe with the geometry?

The HA is a bit steep, the XL has a reach shorter than my former Large bike that was 490 and its wheelbase is also a bit short. Not sure what BB height on the bikes are but felt it could drop down some. Just an FYI the current 29r I am on has a 63.5 HA and a 475 reach which I really wish was 490 but they don't make them that long yet so. Also, it's WB is 1260 and this is a 130mm 29r. I just think he can for sure go more aggressive GEO wise especially since they are 150+ trave bikes.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 9:04 Quote
downhillnews wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
downhillnews wrote:

The HA is a bit steep, the XL has a reach shorter than my former Large bike that was 490 and its wheelbase is also a bit short. Not sure what BB height on the bikes are but felt it could drop down some. Just an FYI the current 29r I am on has a 63.5 HA and a 475 reach which I really wish was 490 but they don't make them that long yet so. Also, it's WB is 1260 and this is a 130mm 29r. I just think he can for sure go more aggressive GEO wise especially since they are 150+ trave bikes.

Well the new Katipo is more agressive than the Taniwha and is over 500 reach in XL. You can also add a. Angleset and change from 64.5 to something slacker?

https://99spokes.com/compare?bikes=zerode-katipo-performance-2020;*z.LG|w.29,zerode-taniwha-signature-2020

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 9:28 Quote
Oh cool, Its actually really weird that they wouldn't use the same front triangle for the two frames and just use different stays. Seems you could save a bunch of $$ that way. I told Rob he should just use FLIP chips on the rear to allow the consumers to decide if the bike should be a 29" or 650B long before the 29" was announced.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 10:17 Quote
downhillnews wrote:
Oh cool, Its actually really weird that they wouldn't use the same front triangle for the two frames and just sue different stays. Seems you could save a bunch of $$ that way. I told Rob he should just use FLIP chips on the rear to allow the consumers to decide if the bike should be a 29" or 650B long beofre the 29" was announced.

Well he has updated the geo but yea he could have used the Katipo frame I guess and made it 27.5 compatible. Maybe there is some technical reason, kinematics or whatever why he chose not, guess if he did that he could also run more than 160mm on the 27.5 at the rear but maybe he doesn't want more travel at the back than tge front as putting a longer fork to match the back would mess up the geometry too much.

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 13:21 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
downhillnews wrote:
Oh cool, Its actually really weird that they wouldn't use the same front triangle for the two frames and just sue different stays. Seems you could save a bunch of $$ that way. I told Rob he should just use FLIP chips on the rear to allow the consumers to decide if the bike should be a 29" or 650B long beofre the 29" was announced.

Well he has updated the geo but yea he could have used the Katipo frame I guess and made it 27.5 compatible. Maybe there is some technical reason, kinematics or whatever why he chose not, guess if he did that he could also run more than 160mm on the 27.5 at the rear but maybe he doesn't want more travel at the back than tge front as putting a longer fork to match the back would mess up the geometry too much.

I run a 170mm fork with a single -0.5 offset bearing in my taniwha...lower BB, slacker HA...it’s a sweet spot for me. Wouldn’t want any slacker tho-running the full 1 degree offset feels horrible.

Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 18:22 Quote
Anyone tried dual crowns or overforked to 180? What about getting more travel at the rear too?

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2020 at 19:20 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Anyone tried dual crowns or overforked to 180? What about getting more travel at the rear too?

This guy runs a dual crown:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-0ImtbHOcv/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Dunno about more length in the rear though.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 5:04 Quote
I run dual crowns with no problems. run a 2.75x8.75 in the rear for 170mm of travel. doesnt fit it stock tho i machined offset bushing to make it work or else it hits the seat tube. Since a few people were talking about it too i made a 29er rear triangle for my taniwha but havent had time to get it wrapped up yet

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 6:36 Quote
ktm87 wrote:
I run dual crowns with no problems. run a 2.75x8.75 in the rear for 170mm of travel. doesnt fit it stock tho i machined offset bushing to make it work or else it hits the seat tube. Since a few people were talking about it too i made a 29er rear triangle for my taniwha but havent had time to get it wrapped up yet

Ahh that's cool, have you put much riding time on the dual crowns? Debating between them or a linkage fork like the Motion ride or possibly even Adroit if I can get hold of one. I asked Rob at Zerode about the dual crowns and he didn't seem to want to just say yes you can use them, I told him I might use a Boxxer as they are not too heavy. He goes how much do you weigh, I told him 80kg, he goes dual crowns will be ok for some riders, a Boxxer will probably be fine, I wouldn't use a Burlier fork like the 40s though. Just scared of putting too much stress on the headtube, I know bikes like the Capra rated gor dual crowns are a lot more beefy around the headtube.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 7:56 Quote
no problems for close to 2 years with dual crowns. they have ll been lowered to 170 or 180mm tho.

photo

photo

trying out this 240mm rotor

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 10:19 Quote
something else yal might find interesting. its on the back burner for awhile but 29er g1/g2

photo

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 10:38 Quote
I was thinking of going with the new Katipo over the Taniwha due to the slightly updated geometry. Did you have any intenions to make any extra of those chainstays for the Taniwha to sell? I take it, it raises the bottom bracket with the bigger wheels on the Taniwha? Anyone know if you can get an angleset that fits the Zerodes that will both slacken the head angle whilst also being compatible with the Dual crown fork? Is it a case of one or the other or can you get an angleset that will work for both?
Also gearbox durability/preferences aside, what is the other positives about the Zerodes, does the rear suspension really feel much different with only 400 grams of cassette amd derailleur knocked off, considering that difference can be made up in tyre and wheel choice is there more going on here than meets the eye? My main reason for wanting a Zerode is simply people say the suspension works better, but is it better enough to say purchasing a normal derailleur bike with 180mm travel and a more rearwards axle path combined with a lightweight wheel and tyre combo to still not be on par or better? My research shows it's only a single pivot with not much rear axle trajectory, so I can only assume the only difference is the sprung to unsprung mass, but say I bought a heavy frame like a Geometron with better suspension kinematics and put on a lightweight rear wheel wouldn't that be even better? Would be interesting to know if thise alloy chainstays you made KTM affect the unsprung mass too and if it is noticeable compared to the carbon stays.

Posted: Jul 12, 2020 at 23:09 Quote
Anyone think a 230 x 65 shock could be made to fit in a Taniwha with offset bushings or is this too much a difference?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017736
Mobile Version of Website