Do i grease the freehub when fitting a cassete?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Do i grease the freehub when fitting a cassete?
  • Next Page
Mod
Posted: Jan 3, 2008 at 18:59 Quote
evan547 wrote:
kakah wrote:
Billfromthehill is on it. No grease on the outside ever. Its not needed and will just make a huge mess when it gets dirty.

This is not true! Try running an aluminum freehub with a steel cassette. In this case only apply a light layer of grease (to keep dirt to aminimum). The steel cassette will chew into the aluminum bodymaking it really tough to remove. A light layer of grease here is helpful. As an alternate fix, forget about aluminum freehubs!

I would still not recommend using any grease on there, aluminum f/h or not. My last 4 wheelsets have all used al. f/h bodys and I've had no trouble whatsoever. In fact, I will pretty much only buy hubs that have aluminum f/h's as its an easy way to save a bunch of weight (I know, I'm a nerd!).
Thats not to say I've never seen any trouble with them though. In nearly a decade I've come across a few customers that I've had trouble removing their cassettes from their wheels, not because of their al. freehubs but because they were using cassettes that did not have the cogs mounted to a central spider on their al. freehub bodys. Instead of the carrier putting a wide load on the cassette body each cog was loaded onto the f/h body. The same amount of pressure but centralized onto a tiny spot = trouble! It only took a few minutes to get it off and then a few more with a file to sort out the damage but it still wasn't great.

So if you have an al. freehub just use a regular SRAM or Shimano cassette and you won't have any problems. Still no grease is my opinion no matter what. Just one mans opinion!Big Grin

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 at 17:59 Quote
dude on the fundamentals vid the mechanic said not to grease the freehub. its is pointless because all it will do will attract dirt...i gues what you could do is lightly grease you cassette but in my mind, greasing a freehub or annything around it is pointless, unless you are winter biking.

Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 3:36 Quote
-eric- wrote:
dude on the fundamentals vid the mechanic said not to grease the freehub. its is pointless because all it will do will attract dirt..if you are affraid of rust well fear not because the freehub is platic. i gues what you could do is lightly grease you cassette but in my mind, greasing a freehub or annything around it is pointless, unless you are winter biking.

plastic freehub,where do you get your bikes airfix kits.

Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 3:48 Quote
marquis wrote:
-eric- wrote:
dude on the fundamentals vid the mechanic said not to grease the freehub. its is pointless because all it will do will attract dirt..if you are affraid of rust well fear not because the freehub is platic. i gues what you could do is lightly grease you cassette but in my mind, greasing a freehub or annything around it is pointless, unless you are winter biking.

hahahahahah my thoughts exactly. This guys on crack!

Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 5:43 Quote
huckoveraduck wrote:
marquis wrote:
-eric- wrote:

hahahahahah my thoughts exactly. This guys on crack!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha plastic freehub lol

Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 7:25 Quote
Intentionally adding grease to the external of the free hub body is not necessary, as no mater how hard you try to keep it grease free, there is always going to be a thin layer on there, whether it needs to be or not.

If you are worried about there not being enough grease on it, rub your fingers all over it. The thin film of grease thats on your fingers is all that is needed for most parts that are questionable as to whether or not they need greasing.

As for the aluminum freehub body and a steel cassette, grease is going to do little to nothing to prevent the two from sticking together. Thats like saying you can hold water in a sieve.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012428
Mobile Version of Website