Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 15:50 Quote
Cracked spectral .... only 5 months old .... how disappointing. What is even worse is canyons service is absolutely Sh##t . I have been waiting for their response for 6 weeks... has this happened to anyone else?

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 8:26 Quote
EmzGiant wrote:
Cracked spectral .... only 5 months old .... how disappointing. What is even worse is canyons service is absolutely Sh##t . I have been waiting for their response for 6 weeks... has this happened to anyone else?
After my 3rd cracked carbon strive I moved on, got it warranted and sold it. To be fair the service wasnt too bad, but always took a couple of weeks.
Is it alloy or carbon?

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 12:08 Quote
yeti-monster wrote:
EmzGiant wrote:
After my 3rd cracked carbon strive I moved on, got it warranted and sold it. To be fair the service wasnt too bad, but always took a couple of weeks.
Is it alloy or carbon?

What year and which parts of the frame have you cracked?

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
breakthebeta wrote:
yeti-monster wrote:
EmzGiant wrote:
Is it alloy or carbon?

1 Chainstay (2nd week of ownership) and 2 bottom bracket seat tube interfaces. Posted photos of first bottom bracket crack here a few years back. Actually got a call from a canyon rep to say they were aware of the issue and would resolve in future layups. The second one they replaced with a new frame from a different MY. Anyway it happened again. I recommended everyone checked there frames in this area. Its hidden behind the chainstay bracing, and actually a highly stressed area where there are rotational forces at play. The chainstay is forced up at the same time the shock and rider pushes down, where the seat tube is the fulcrum

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 13:05 Quote
constantly-broken wrote:
Made the call and ended up pulling the trigger on a Marzocchi Bomber CR coil. Cant wait to get out and see how it performs
Marzocchi Bomber CR now handles the rear end squush
photo

Any update on how you’ve experienced the coil? DH performance? Pedalling performance? Have you had any issues? What’s your overall impression?

I have a 2020 Spectral CF 8.0 and I am seriously considering upgrading to a coil as I am not at all impressed by the stock Fox DPX2 shock so any feedback you could give would be great.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 17:12 Quote
Garnhog wrote:
constantly-broken wrote:
Made the call and ended up pulling the trigger on a Marzocchi Bomber CR coil. Cant wait to get out and see how it performs
photo

Any update on how you’ve experienced the coil? DH performance? Pedalling performance? Have you had any issues? What’s your overall impression?

I have a 2020 Spectral CF 8.0 and I am seriously considering upgrading to a coil as I am not at all impressed by the stock Fox DPX2 shock so any feedback you could give would be great.

Sorry, been a bit hectic of late.

Raced a local Enduro with the new shock, and I am surprised. Minimal pedal bob and the rear wheel stays glued to the trail while pedalling up. Having only Compression and Rebound, with no other fine tuning adjustments on thia shock, I have found that once I found a base tune, it worked flawless. While I had the stock DPX2, I was struggling to find the right balance of the shock and would blow through the travel and bottom out frequently despite fiddling with volume spacers and different air pressures.

The coil makes it sit a bit higher in the travel whole pedalling, and this has improved my climbing times (I always hate pedalling up hill). With the air shock, it would sit lower in the dag point, slackening the head angle and made a couple of tight uphill turns difficult while seated (or maybe I am just a muppet when it comes to setting up air shocks, IDK).

Only thing I need to change is a slightly stiffer spring. I dont bottom out as frequently now, but I have gone through the full stroke on a couple of the larger hits on one of my local trails.

Overall, I rate going to a coil as it has turned this bike into the weapon I wanted it to be, an enduro rig that is comfy to ride and super fun and playful when its pointed downhill.

Next upgrades will be on my Sender. Not a fan of the SRAM stoppers, so on the hunt for some XTR brakes

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 22:17 Quote
constantly-broken wrote:
Garnhog wrote:
constantly-broken wrote:
photo

Raced a local Enduro with the new shock, and I am surprised. Minimal pedal bob and the rear wheel stays glued to the trail while pedalling up. Having only Compression and Rebound, with no other fine tuning adjustments on thia shock, I have found that once I found a base tune, it worked flawless. While I had the stock DPX2, I was struggling to find the right balance of the shock and would blow through the travel and bottom out frequently despite fiddling with volume spacers and different air pressures.

The coil makes it sit a bit higher in the travel whole pedalling, and this has improved my climbing times (I always hate pedalling up hill). With the air shock, it would sit lower in the dag point, slackening the head angle and made a couple of tight uphill turns difficult while seated (or maybe I am just a muppet when it comes to setting up air shocks, IDK).

Only thing I need to change is a slightly stiffer spring. I dont bottom out as frequently now, but I have gone through the full stroke on a couple of the larger hits on one of my local trails.

Overall, I rate going to a coil as it has turned this bike into the weapon I wanted it to be, an enduro rig that is comfy to ride and super fun and playful when its pointed downhill.

Next upgrades will be on my Sender. Not a fan of the SRAM stoppers, so on the hunt for some XTR brakes

Thanks! Sounds like coil is that way to go (as seems to be the case most of the time). I will need to take a deeper look at which coil to opt for and what spring rate. What spring rate did you opt for and what is your riding weight if you don't mind me asking?

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 0:40 Quote
yeti-monster wrote:
breakthebeta wrote:
yeti-monster wrote:

Is it alloy or carbon?

1 Chainstay (2nd week of ownership) and 2 bottom bracket seat tube interfaces. Posted photos of first bottom bracket crack here a few years back. Actually got a call from a canyon rep to say they were aware of the issue and would resolve in future layups. The second one they replaced with a new frame from a different MY. Anyway it happened again. I recommended everyone checked there frames in this area. Its hidden behind the chainstay bracing, and actually a highly stressed area where there are rotational forces at play. The chainstay is forced up at the same time the shock and rider pushes down, where the seat tube is the fulcrum

A month ago I broke the seatstay of my Strive 2016 and I had to ride home with the rear wheel rubbing and damaging the chainstay. Canyon Spain was excellent with warranty as I got a new full rear triangle in just a couple of days.

photo

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 1:25 Quote
Garnhog wrote:
constantly-broken wrote:
Garnhog wrote:

Thanks! Sounds like coil is that way to go (as seems to be the case most of the time). I will need to take a deeper look at which coil to opt for and what spring rate. What spring rate did you opt for and what is your riding weight if you don't mind me asking?

I am currently on a 400lbs spring. I am 90kg on a good day and its just a little soft. Going to go up to a 450lbs.

Posted: Sep 28, 2020 at 10:48 Quote
Hi all,

I have a question I hope you all can help me with, I've just bought a 2018 AL Strive frame which came without a headset.
Doing some research online I got a Cane Creek top Headset, no issues there, but the bottom Headset is confusing the hell outta me.
It was suggested the Cane Creek 40 series IS52-30 Bottom Assembly is what I needed so I purchased it.
Looking at it today it fits in (very snuggly) maybe with some help, but there would be no room for a bottom cup!

I hope I don't sound silly here but all my bikes have had a bottom cup....does the Strive not need one? does the bearing fit into the frame and then slide the forks through on to the crown race?
Or have I just purchased the wrong thing entirely, it seems wrong having no room for a bottom cup.

If I've purchased the wrong thing, could you guys possibly send me details of what I need to buy. Bottom measurement is 52mm, top is 44mm.

Thanks very much in advance.

Posted: Sep 28, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
Hi all,

I have a question I hope you all can help me with, I've just bought a 2018 AL Strive frame which came without a headset.
Doing some research online I got a Cane Creek top Headset, no issues there, but the bottom Headset is confusing the hell outta me.
It was suggested the Cane Creek 40 series IS52-30 Bottom Assembly is what I needed so I purchased it.
Looking at it today it fits in (very snuggly) maybe with some help, but there would be no room for a bottom cup!

I hope I don't sound silly here but all my bikes have had a bottom cup....does the Strive not need one? does the bearing fit into the frame and then slide the forks through on to the crown race?
Or have I just purchased the wrong thing entirely, it seems wrong having no room for a bottom cup.

If I've purchased the wrong thing, could you guys possibly send me details of what I need to buy. Bottom measurement is 52mm, top is 44mm.

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 15:42 Quote
My 2018 Strive (carbon) uses a ZS 44 upper and an IS 52 lower (just a bearing that drops into, not presses into, the frame). There is no 'cup' for the bottom. What you have is correct! The crown race should fit up against that bearing directly.

Duffsmtb wrote:
Hi all,

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
thegb1212 wrote:
My 2018 Strive (carbon) uses a ZS 44 upper and an IS 52 lower (just a bearing that drops into, not presses into, the frame). There is no 'cup' for the bottom. What you have is correct! The crown race should fit up against that bearing directly.

Duffsmtb wrote:
Hi all,

Can confirm this is correct, I owned a 2016 Strive AL, you need a ZS 44 upper and a IS 52 lower, you can buy them seperately, the IS 52 lower just drops into the head tube, there is no need for a cup, it should sit in the head tube. You will only get a bearing and the crown race in the set.

O+
Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 10:35 Quote
I’m curious about the ability to use the new 9point8 slack r since the bottom cup is IS but the top is ZS. Any one have an educated guess?

O+
Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 12:13 Quote
breakthebeta wrote:
I’m curious about the ability to use the new 9point8 slack r since the bottom cup is IS but the top is ZS. Any one have an educated guess?

Depends on the frame. I am assuming you are referring to pre-2019 Strives. The Slack-R requires IS top and bottom, so it won't fit here. Works components makes a 1 degree headset for the pre-2019 Strives that others have tried out on this forum. The name is: 1.0 Degree ZS44-EC52 Angle Headset

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.071244
Mobile Version of Website