Brand new avid elixer already leaking from the lever *Update: Video*

PB Forum :: SRAM
Brand new avid elixer already leaking from the lever *Update: Video*
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 23, 2013 at 21:44 Quote
Hey, so recently I thought that I would get myself back in the mtb scene and picked up a transition top, I haven't even used it yet and I already remember why I ditched them for bmx bikes. Long story here.. I got the trail or park from a buddy who had it sitting brakeless but also had an elixir 5 lying around for it. Of course somebody had to go squeeze the lever while the brake was off so the pads ended up basically so close they were touching each other. After a good half hour of trying to pry the pads apart I decided to just stick 2 butter knives in between the pads and leave it, hoping they would retract. Then I made a dumb decision and was curious about the brakes being mushy so I carefully and slowly gave the brake a squeeze. It felt as if the lever poped in and it also made a popping sound, now it seems to be slowly leaking from the master cylinder, mainly when the lever is released. If you give the lever the slightest squeeze in a silent room you can hear a tiny pop, and if you squeeze the lever continuously, you can hear a slight wheezing/bubbling sound when you've stopped. My question is will the master cylinder rebuild kit that is available fix this, or did I seriously screw something up? The oil builds up mainly in the circled area, around the base of what the pushrod is inserted in to, I am wondering if anybody has had any experience rebuilding an elixer lever. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Brett

[PI= size=l0 align=c][/PI]
Leaking avid elixir... Will a lever rebuild kit fix this

Posted: Jun 24, 2013 at 15:03 Quote
Bump
Views: 2,448    Faves: 0    Comments: 6

Posted: Jun 26, 2013 at 11:56 Quote
Alright mate. Yeah I remember (just!) Going through some similar issues.

Basically, I just got a new lever internals kit and it was surprisingly easy to install. I bought some circlip pliers (spelling?!) to make the job easier too. Fixed the problem for me. I took note of a few things from reading the forums like not setting the reach adjuster to full either end but yeah, worked for me and was a relatively cheap fix compared to buying new brakes. haven't had to bleed or adjust for over a year and I do a lot of riding.

Hit me up if you need more info or links to where I got the kit.

Jim

Posted: Feb 6, 2015 at 14:51 Quote
Just received my 2014 Norco Range 7.2 after waiting 6 months for the shop to get it in. Not even had chance to ride it yet an Ive got this problem.

Took it back to Evan they drained it put new fluid in, bled it sent me in my way happy 3 squeezes of the lever later it's pissing oil out the lever again. Pretty annoyed

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011999
Mobile Version of Website