Demo 8 double or triple crank options?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Demo 8 double or triple crank options?
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 29, 2013 at 17:17 Quote
You CAN put a front derailleur on a 2007 Demo 8!! I think up to a 2010. I have had many Demos. Look near the BB shell (above and under). See that tiny hole? ....it's for a cable! ....see the round tube above the BB? The one that looks like you can CLAMP a FD on? ....thats because you CAN!!
Don't use a Triple, just a DOUBLE. You will only need a "granny gear" for climbing. You will need: Cranks that allow for a small ring, front shifter and derailleur. You will be able to use your Rear derailleur as long as you don't use a large ring/triple. Good luck, and go for it!! Not everyone has lift service. It will only make you a stronger climber!!

Posted: Sep 29, 2013 at 17:20 Quote
Oh, and hopefully you have a FOX DHX w/Pro Pedal. Learn how to use the blue knob!

Posted: Sep 29, 2013 at 19:23 Quote
[Quote="Meyers39"]
pm148 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

What is this guy not understanding. At least four people have said it already! You can't use a demo for climbing up hills! It's not even about the fact that it's a single chainring, it's the geometry of the bike, the weight of the bike, it's not made for what your doing. I can't imagine that you need 8 inches of travel on the way down, get a 160mm travel bike and you'll be fine. Stop wasting your money trying to get the bike to climb, it won't. You bought the wrong bike and it sucks. Sell it and start looking for an all mountain bike.

What do you recommend I look at then?

A trek fuel or a trek remedy, somthing similar to that. You'd be surprised at what you can ride with those bikes. Not sure if the remedy is a single chainring though. I own a fuel and it's a triple chainring. I've ridden some lift accese downhill with is even. And I do lots of climbing as well. Not sure if your looking to buy new or used. What's your budget?

Posted: Sep 29, 2013 at 20:06 Quote
Well my budget would be whatever I can scrape up from the demo 8 I have, maybe a bit more. So probably up to about 2k tops.

I'd like something that can climb with ease, but still have a good amount of suspension for downhill.

Posted: Sep 29, 2013 at 23:27 Quote
adkrider wrote:
You CAN put a front derailleur on a 2007 Demo 8!! I think up to a 2010. I have had many Demos. Look near the BB shell (above and under). See that tiny hole? ....it's for a cable! ....see the round tube above the BB? The one that looks like you can CLAMP a FD on? ....thats because you CAN!!
Don't use a Triple, just a DOUBLE. You will only need a "granny gear" for climbing. You will need: Cranks that allow for a small ring, front shifter and derailleur. You will be able to use your Rear derailleur as long as you don't use a large ring/triple. Good luck, and go for it!! Not everyone has lift service. It will only make you a stronger climber!!
What hole?
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://getoutsidemore.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/demo8.jpg
Can't be done buy a reign x

Posted: Sep 30, 2013 at 4:35 Quote
Oops. Sorry. Was not expecting that. My 2006 was front der. compatible. See what happens when you assume? I believe even the 2010 is also.

Posted: Sep 30, 2013 at 4:41 Quote
...or is it near that chain stay pivot? a small hole to guide the cable. ...are their cable braze ons on the frame for the housing?

Posted: Sep 30, 2013 at 4:43 Quote
adkrider wrote:
...or is it near that chain stay pivot? a small hole to guide the cable. ...are their cable braze ons on the frame for the housing?
as for as I know the demo was NEVER compatible with multiple chain rings even on the old frames (pre-2007 redesign)

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.specialized.com/media/2006/bikes/06Demo8Frame_Avo_l.jpg

Posted: Sep 30, 2013 at 4:52 Quote
That photo shows the routing for it. The rear der. routing is on the top right. The brake is on he left top. .....and the front derailleur is on under the downtube. just need to leave a larger gap between the ring and the cage, 3.5mm or so, because of the rear wheel travel.

Posted: Sep 30, 2013 at 4:59 Quote
.....even has a mount for a water bottle (for climbing) your going to need it!! My 2005 P3 had a bootle mount there. I tried to use it and the front wheel travel SMASHED it, after the first drop/jump. haha

Posted: Sep 30, 2013 at 10:19 Quote
Meyers39 wrote:
Well my budget would be whatever I can scrape up from the demo 8 I have, maybe a bit more. So probably up to about 2k tops.

I'd like something that can climb with ease, but still have a good amount of suspension for downhill.

Trek fuel ex 5 or 6. I have the 5 and I use it for XC and a little bit of dh.

Posted: Oct 4, 2013 at 10:18 Quote
Get a Santa Cruz nomad imho

Posted: Oct 8, 2013 at 20:41 Quote
Speaking from experience (I ride a Trek Session with a HammerSchmidt FR crankset), go for it! My drive train is 2X9, with 22/36 teeth up front, and 11-32 teeth out back with a Sram X9 short cage derailleur. The chainguide on the HammerSchmidt is just as secure as the e-Thirteen guide I used to run on my single ring set-up, and the HammerSchmidt can take a beating. I like to pedal up the all-mountain trails, then take the DH runs down. It's a ton of fun! I can't pedal up extreme climbs, but moderate climbs are no problem. Obviously, this isn't what a DH bike was made for, but who cares? It's fun! If you have any questions on how to set it up, message me.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012489
Mobile Version of Website