Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 22:04 Quote
Hi Pinkbike! Been a lurker on this thread since I got my Trance 2 late last year, and for my first post I wanted to say...

First of all -- Thanks, guys! I got so many good ideas translated into stuff onto my bike from going through this thread. :-D

And secondly, I wanted to add some more validation on the following:
1. Fox Float X in 7.875x2.25 in (200x57 mm) fits on a small size Trance 27.5. It's a tight fit, but it fits. The piggyback reservoir has about 6mm of clearance from the frame, rear triangle to seat tube has a little more. But you still need to double check whether your saddle will clear your tire (dependent on saddle size & position, tire size, seat post length)

2. I swapped out the 140mm Float for a 160mm Pike Solo Air. I did notice the 1 deg slack change in HTA in climbing, but the change in body position when climbing is very minimal. I just need to be a little more mindful to shift my weight further up front on steep climbs, which I should be doing anyway.

160mm front and back conversion complete and it rides great!

photo

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 4:31 Quote
ddfc wrote:
Robino113 wrote:
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think its possible to but a 200x57 shock on a 2015 giant trance. I was told by my local IBD that the stroke is too much. I wanted to get a longer stroke shock for my 2015 giant trance 27.5 2 but probably just get a new fork instead.

In terms of warranty, your LBS is right. It kinda goes down to whether you feel you need the extra travel. What sort of upgrades have you done already to your Trance?

Thanks for the reply. I have only upgraded the stem and bars for the trance so far because I have only had it a few weeks but I do feel like I would benefit with a bit more travel and a better quality fork and shock.

Any suggests for a new fork? I love the new pike but its probably out of my price range.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 5:10 Quote
surinkt wrote:
Hi everyone,

So I ride a 2015 trance 1 and I was told by my local Giant dealer that a 150mm fork is the max this frame can take. Is this true? Anyone out there riding a 160mm on this bike? The staff at my LBS told me that the HTA between the regular trance and trance sx differs because the frames aren't identical, but aren't they in fact the same? I thought the difference in HTA was caused by fork travel differences between the two models using the same frame.

I'm planning to purchase a 150 or 140-160mm pike and 200x57 float x so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Enjoy the current set up you have atm. Theres no need to go upsize on the shock based on our trails. I had the same exact thoughts before buying and reading the threads here.
So far i've only managed a day in ubin and there's still sometime before I can fairly comment if there's a need to change the rear.

@im on 160 front and loving it so far.
lets see if we ever meet on the trails...

ddfc wrote:
I know as a fact that the SX runs on the same frame as the 1. You can run up to 160mm forks without voiding warranty.

Our dealer here has specified clearly not to use a 160 or they will void your warranty (surinkt same dealer). Cry
There's always ways around it but hell, the 160 option for me was due to previous bike parts porting over.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 5:15 Quote
alecdy wrote:
Hi Pinkbike! Been a lurker on this thread since I got my Trance 2 late last year, and for my first post I wanted to say...

1. Fox Float X in 7.875x2.25 in (200x57 mm) fits on a small size Trance 27.5. It's a tight fit, but it fits. The piggyback reservoir has about 6mm of clearance from the frame, rear triangle to seat tube has a little more. But you still need to double check whether your saddle will clear your tire (dependent on saddle size & position, tire size, seat post length)

[/PI]

Im always concerned about getting another shock replacement with a different tune, will it ride differently?
Thats what most LBS would say too.

We do not have a professional tuning shop here which means shipping out a shock the states and back?

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 6:00 Quote
Ussr wrote:
surinkt wrote:
Hi everyone,

So I ride a 2015 trance 1 and I was told by my local Giant dealer that a 150mm fork is the max this frame can take. Is this true? Anyone out there riding a 160mm on this bike? The staff at my LBS told me that the HTA between the regular trance and trance sx differs because the frames aren't identical, but aren't they in fact the same? I thought the difference in HTA was caused by fork travel differences between the two models using the same frame.

I'm planning to purchase a 150 or 140-160mm pike and 200x57 float x so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Enjoy the current set up you have atm. Theres no need to go upsize on the shock based on our trails. I had the same exact thoughts before buying and reading the threads here.
So far i've only managed a day in ubin and there's still sometime before I can fairly comment if there's a need to change the rear.

@im on 160 front and loving it so far.
lets see if we ever meet on the trails...

ddfc wrote:
I know as a fact that the SX runs on the same frame as the 1. You can run up to 160mm forks without voiding warranty.

Our dealer here has specified clearly not to use a 160 or they will void your warranty (surinkt same dealer). Cry
There's always ways around it but hell, the 160 option for me was due to previous bike parts porting over.

Yeah, I thought about it and I'll just stick with 140mm on the rear and 160mm on the front. Thanks!

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 6:14 Quote
Ussr wrote:
alecdy wrote:

[/PI]

Im always concerned about getting another shock replacement with a different tune, will it ride differently?
Thats what most LBS would say too.

We do not have a professional tuning shop here which means shipping out a shock the states and back?

Hi Ussr, thought about that too, but then again the shock that the built bike came with wasn't tuned for me either.

I'm pretty sure the over-stroked shock I have on right now isn't at the right tune yet, because it just came in the mail and got onto the bike last Friday. Does the bike, with the new shock and geometry ride differently? Yes Wink , Yes IT DOES! And I love it! Big Grin

I'll write back more once I get to tinker more with the built in adjustments, and if I decide to add some volume spacers later on.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 6:28 Quote
[Quote="alecdy"

Hi Ussr, thought about that too, but then again the shock that the built bike came with wasn't tuned for me either.

I'm pretty sure the over-stroked shock I have on right now isn't at the right tune yet, because it just came in the mail and got onto the bike last Friday. Does the bike, with the new shock and geometry ride differently? Yes Wink , Yes IT DOES! And I love it! Big Grin

I'll write back more once I get to tinker more with the built in adjustments, and if I decide to add some volume spacers later on.[/Quote]

Hi Alecdy, the stock shock should be tuned for the way Giant would like it to perform, I could be wrong though. Getting another which may not be shimmed or tuned the same as most would be based of generic tune unless we're discussing canecreek's range of adjustments.

I would probably need lots of guidance if im to figure out how to use those volume spacers.Eek

looking forward to your review though.. have more time to ride the bike.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 6:49 Quote
Ussr wrote:

Hi Alecdy, the stock shock should be tuned for the way Giant would like it to perform, I could be wrong though. Getting another which may not be shimmed or tuned the same as most would be based of generic tune unless we're discussing canecreek's range of adjustments.

I would probably need lots of guidance if im to figure out how to use those volume spacers.Eek

looking forward to your review though.. have more time to ride the bike.

Hi Ussr, the Giant shock comes with a stroke travel reducer to limit the 2.25 stroke length to only 2.0. I thought about doing the same thing with the new shock if there was any risk of frame contact but after doing the checks, the risk is low and I'd rather utilize the full stroke and get 160mm of rear travel (or 157~158 to be more precise).

The new shock may not be "Giant tuned" but it performed much better over the weekend than the stock one.

Can't wait to ride again too! Long holiday coming up :-D

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 7:06 Quote
Ussr wrote:
Hi All, just got myself a trance, porting over parts from my other bike. Hit a problem.. looking for recommendation/ideas on how i should run my external cable dropper post?

ps... nope.. not getting an internal one for now.... Cry

Hey man, just back read this one. I have a KS Lev External routing and did this:
- From the lever on left side...
- enter the internal routing hole on the right side of the frame
- Come out the bottom where the shift cables & Rear Brake cable come out
- Route it up towards the seatpost where the FD shift cable routes

I call it "semi-internal" or "semi-stealth":
Description of semi-internal semi-stealth for external dropper cable routing

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 9:05 Quote
alecdy wrote:

First of all -- Thanks, guys! I got so many good ideas translated into stuff onto my bike from going through this thread. :-D

2. I swapped out the 140mm Float for a 160mm Pike Solo Air. I did notice the 1 deg slack change in HTA in climbing, but the change in body position when climbing is very minimal. I just need to be a little more mindful to shift my weight further up front on steep climbs, which I should be doing anyway.

photo

Yes! Thanks for the clarification. I've got a size Small Trance 27.5 as well, and I was wondering if this was possible for the size.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 16:24 Quote
[/Quote]

Thanks for the explanation.Very helpful indeed! I guess I will keep the rear travel to 140mm and upgrade the shoc, and get a 160mm pike up front. What do you guys think about the 160mm solo vs the 140-160mm dual? Travel adjustment will come in handy on the climbs but I've read that the overall feel isn't as plush as the solo.[/Quote]

Go for the solo air it's a lot better fork stick a token in it to progress it a bit, the trance climbs well any way with everything left open

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 16:31 Quote
alecdy wrote:

photo

Dam!!! I love the look of a size Small trance why do have to be 6ft tall
photo

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 4:13 Quote
alecdy wrote:
Hi Ussr, the Giant shock comes with a stroke travel reducer to limit the 2.25 stroke length to only 2.0. I thought about doing the same thing with the new shock if there was any risk of frame contact but after doing the checks, the risk is low and I'd rather utilize the full stroke and get 160mm of rear travel (or 157~158 to be more precise).

The new shock may not be "Giant tuned" but it performed much better over the weekend than the stock one.

Can't wait to ride again too! Long holiday coming up :-D

alecdy wrote:

Hey man, just back read this one. I have a KS Lev External routing and did this:
- From the lever on left side...
- enter the internal routing hole on the right side of the frame
- Come out the bottom where the shift cables & Rear Brake cable come out
- Route it up towards the seatpost where the FD shift cable routes

I call it "semi-internal" or "semi-stealth":

Hi Alecdy, so is there anyway to remove the reducer to achieve the 2.25 stroke without having to get another? Mine comes with the monarch plus. Another bud had his fixed 3x on his (withholding brand). Less than 6mths his compression is gone, the knobs no longer work for him. I'm worried this happens on all monarch plus. (meaning probably an excuse to consider another shock?)

PS. that's the same routing I am doing. But as mine is pre-LEV, the cable is at the rails... there's bound to be excess cable movement which catches on the rear.
Temporary solution captured below. This however causes the cable to loop out like a stray.... until my intergra arrives?
photo

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 8:50 Quote
Guys, on my 27.5 2, can my evolution on the rear be made to have a longer stroke? Is there a reducer in the the shock that can be removed??

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 10:39 Quote
alecdy wrote:

photo

Loads of great info here. I ended up going with the 150mm Pike as the 160mm made it just a little too slack. A couple guys at the LBS have the same bike, one with the 150 the other with the 160 both are super happy. Been a fun process got lucky to reach a point in life where I could build up my dream bike..... Couldnt be happier!!

My Trance Advanced Custom Build

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.075721
Mobile Version of Website