Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 10:49 Quote
Should be as simple as a new front ring (recommend a narrow wide), 11spd chain, cassette, shifter and mech.

And then a freehub if you desire a sram cassette to get the 10t cog. If you think 11-42 will be sufficient, then get an xt cassette

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 11:30 Quote
Thanks. i think I wanna go xt 11-42 cassette. Why wouldn't that be enough?

So at the very least the other stuff you mentioned needs purchasing? What new ring would you recommend?

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 11:52 Quote
Also, I could reuse my slx derailleur and crank arms I take it?

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 12:14 Quote
ejewels wrote:
Hey guys,

Without reading this entire thread, what would I need to buy to go 1x11 having a 2015 trance 2? I'm ok spending a little just not sure what to buy as a set, individually, etc. Any recommendations? Could I reuse my cranks? I'm noob with the whole 1x11 thing tech-wise.

You'll need a new rear wheel as that hub doesn't have a driver option

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 12:21 Quote
I should have mentioned I upgraded the wheels to a dt Swiss 350/arc 30 combo. It has the shimano freehub so I guess I'd have to go xt 11-42?

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 13:04 Quote
ejewels wrote:
Also, I could reuse my slx derailleur and crank arms I take it?

Cranks, yes. Derailleur, probably not. Most 10 speed derailleurs aren't designed to handle cogs over 40t so you would most likely need to get a longer b-adjust screw (or adjust it to the max) to move the derailleur farther from your cassette. This will probably affect your shifting on the smaller cogs negatively.

I might give it a try still, as I have heard some success stories but I would be prepared to buy a new derailleur just in case.

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 13:40 Quote
He's going 11spd, thus cranks can be kept, but rear derraileur must be an 11spd unit.

Xt 11spd cassette
Any 11spd chain
Any narrow wide chainring (many options)
Either Shimano xt/xtr shifter and mech or sram gx/x1/xo1/xx1 shifter and mech.

This is all that is required, everything else can be kept.

Hope this clears it up

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 14:01 Quote
Thanks guys. What's a mech?

Also, the shimano xt m8000 ring is "DCE" which is their answer to narrow wide. Would that work? Either way don't I have to match the ring with my crank arms? Or could I get any ring and it would fit?

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 16:19 Quote
bobj wrote:
He's going 11spd, thus cranks can be kept, but rear derraileur must be an 11spd unit.

You don't HAVE to use an 11 speed compatible rear derailleur on an 11 speed cassette since the derailleurs have more than enough travel to cover the whole cassette (especially if using a shimano 11 speed cassette since it is the same width). However, you will have to tinker with it to get it to shift decently over the whole range of the cassette and a longer b-adjust screw to get the derailleur body farther away from the cogs.

I wouldn't suggest going this route unless you like fiddling with your bike, so buying a proper derailleur for your cassette from the start will be a better option for 99% of people. However if you already have the SLX derailleur and are on a really tight budget, it might make sense to give it a try. The worst that can happen is that you end up buying the new derailleur anyway.

ejewels wrote:
What's a mech?

Another name for derailleur. Rear mech/ rear derailleur are synonymous

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 at 5:32 Quote
Thanks. BobJ had said I could get any ring. Would any ring fit my slx crank arms?

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 at 7:48 Quote
So today my quick release axle gave up, dont want to get a warranty replacement as it will happen again, anyone recommend a 135x12 thru axle.

*edit got what im looking for.

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 at 8:45 Quote
If I didn't wanna go the xt route and just go sram gx 1x11, (with $80 for xd driver hub attachment on my dt 350s)... Could I still buy any ring and use my slx arms the same way I would plan to with the xt setup?

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 at 9:53 Quote
ejewels wrote:
If I didn't wanna go the xt route and just go sram gx 1x11, (with $80 for xd driver hub attachment on my dt 350s)... Could I still buy any ring and use my slx arms the same way I would plan to with the xt setup?
you posted above "without reading this entire thread..." but you are asking question after question that would be answered if you read/searched the topic more. Sorry but that's the truth.

Yes you can buy NW chainrings to fit your SLX crank. If it's a 2x10 you may need some offset spacing to correct the chainline.

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 at 13:17 Quote
Offset spacing? Anyone run a sram gx on the trance with success/stock no spacers? I'm debating going xt or sram. Xt I wouldn't have to buy the $90 for xd freehub, but reviews seem to say performance is a little better still with sram

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 at 13:45 Quote
ejewels wrote:
Offset spacing? Anyone run a sram gx on the trance with success/stock no spacers? I'm debating going xt or sram. Xt I wouldn't have to buy the $90 for xd freehub, but reviews seem to say performance is a little better still with sram
I meant if you go 1x11 with a 2x10 crank the chainline won't be ideal unless the chainring is offset somehow. I think RF builds offset into the chainring and many brands likely do.
My bike came with X01 so I can't help you with conversion info, but many here have done it. Also check MTBR drivetrain forum since it seems to get a lot of posts.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013262
Mobile Version of Website