Powered by Outside

What's so good about carbon frames ?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What's so good about carbon frames ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 6, 2013 at 8:27 Quote
I have ridden a Aluminum Santa Cruz Bronson and decided to buy the Bronson Carbon, What differences will I notice ?

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 at 11:52 Quote
a far lighter wallet and a fair bit of creaking if my blur ltc was anything to go by.

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 at 12:31 Quote
b45her wrote:
a far lighter wallet and a fair bit of creaking if my blur ltc was anything to go by.

Ok thanks, so is carbon the way forward if I want something a step up ?

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 at 15:59 Quote
From what I have read, a stiffer and lighter frame.
If you can afford it, why not just go for it? hahaha

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 at 16:11 Quote
Carbon fiber allows for a higher degree of precision when laying and molding complex frame shapes, as well as having the potential to be lighter and stiffer. Properly used high-end carbon fiber also tends to have a higher impact resistance before failing than aluminum.

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 at 16:13 Quote
the frames seem like the future
on the other hand ive seem loads of smashed/cracked carbon forks thou Frown
people i know broke/cracked they carbon handle bars after a accident in to some rocks

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 at 16:27 Quote
cannondalemale wrote:
people i know broke/cracked they carbon handle bars after a accident in to some rocks

You see this is what's confusing me, Santa Cruz done a test on a aluminium Nomad and a carbon one the aluminium one took about 1400lb to break the Carbon Nomad took 2600lb, I asked my LBS and they told me if your buying carbon only buy high end ones and he told me Santa Cruz don't make shot frames so that's why I decided to go with carbon.

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 at 16:29 Quote
good if you got the cash to burn

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 at 16:48 Quote
TheFreney wrote:
cannondalemale wrote:

You see this is what's confusing me, Santa Cruz done a test on a aluminium Nomad and a carbon one the aluminium one took about 1400lb to break the Carbon Nomad took 2600lb, I asked my LBS and they told me if your buying carbon only buy high end ones and he told me Santa Cruz don't make *shit* frames so that's why I decided to go with carbon.

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 at 18:02 Quote
TheFreney wrote:
cannondalemale wrote:

You see this is what's confusing me, Santa Cruz done a test on a aluminium Nomad and a carbon one the aluminium one took about 1400lb to break the Carbon Nomad took 2600lb, I asked my LBS and they told me if your buying carbon only buy high end ones and he told me Santa Cruz don't make shot frames so that's why I decided to go with carbon.

That's because low-end carbon that is just thrown together willy-nilly, while it may look cool, is no where near as strong, stiff or light as higher-end carbon that is properly put together. Trek does demonstrations between normal road-layup carbon frames and their mountain OCLV frames and it's a good demonstration of how much strength, weight, stiffness, etc., can vary depending on the actual quality of carbon fiber and the process.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007530
Mobile Version of Website