Crowd-sourced hardtail frame design and manufacture

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Crowd-sourced hardtail frame design and manufacture
Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 16:58 Quote
If this project is going more towards BMX spacing, Spanish BB, it would probably go with the feel to run a 25.4 ST, and integrated HT.
Also another feature idea: removable U or V brake mounts?

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 17:01 Quote
coznkos wrote:
If this project is going more towards BMX spacing, Spanish BB, it would probably go with the feel to run a 25.4 ST, and integrated HT.

just wondering why it has to be the same head tube standard? if you were to use a tapered head tube youd get around the problem where none of these frames will fit newer forks, as everythings going tapered.

also mid bbs have larger bearings and are readily available at any shop pretty much.

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 17:08 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
coznkos wrote:

just wondering why it has to be the same head tube standard? if you were to use a tapered head tube youd get around the problem where none of these frames will fit newer forks, as everythings going tapered.

also mid bbs have larger bearings and are readily available at any shop pretty much.
My thoughts were if it's being a street/park specific build, running more BMX components would allow for more options parts wise, since there are so many companies out there with parts. He was throwing out the idea for running a short rigid fork. So, integrated would look pretty slick. If it were more of modern DJ frame, with 135 spacing and euro BB, or what ever, I would go more for a tapered. So, if this build were channeling more of a P3, Decade, Vimana feel, I would say tapered all the way. You know what I mean?
I personally like the big bearings of Mid BBs, but nobody else every likes them.

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 18:19 Quote
Coznkos, I'm with you on that. I'd love to see this come out as a super clean frame.

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 19:49 Quote
yeah i recon tapered is the go, everything will be tapered soon. i recon it wont be long before race BMX frames have taperad (if they dont already, im not really down with BMX trends) seeing as they all have carbon forks, then park BMX's will follow soon enough.

as to the removable brake mounts, ill have to see if i can get them. i recon a 110mm rear spacing with disc mounts would be pretty mean, seeing as BMX hubs with disc mounts are starting to show up.

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 20:18 Quote
madm3chanic wrote:
yeah i recon tapered is the go, everything will be tapered soon. i recon it wont be long before race BMX frames have taperad (if they dont already, im not really down with BMX trends) seeing as they all have carbon forks, then park BMX's will follow soon enough.

as to the removable brake mounts, ill have to see if i can get them. i recon a 110mm rear spacing with disc mounts would be pretty mean, seeing as BMX hubs with disc mounts are starting to show up.
I remember Profile has had one for a bit. I haven't looked into other brands though. Who else has a disc ready BMX hub?

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 20:29 Quote
coznkos wrote:
madm3chanic wrote:

I remember Profile has had one for a bit. I haven't looked into other brands though. Who else has a disc ready BMX hub?

i saw some on Bikerumour a few days ago. dunno if it'd be a great idea tho unless there's a decent range of brands/prices offering them. mind you, this thread ain really about makin a frame for the masses...

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 23:09 Quote
My thoughts:

PF30? Already seem to be headed towards tapered which is expensive as is in steel. Would love to be able to throw any crankset on there. Plus can go eccentric to change bb height. tehe.

Thick dropouts. Please don't skimp on weight there. Keep it around 5.4lbs and I'd be stoked.

Find a way to go bridgeless? Just get clogged with mud/grass on most frames.

Totally agree with disc tabs and chainstays. Long bikes, as long as you can get into the manual decently, manual for miles. Short bikes, if well balanced, spin like tops though. 15.25 in seems to do well on any setup anywhere. Go shorter and you'll probably need v2s and v3s...

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 23:21 Quote
370mm I find is plenty stable on trails. Just lower the bb.

Posted: Oct 22, 2013 at 0:00 Quote
I just want a slightly more aggressive version of my sub hahaha. So it still shreds dirt how I like, but is more snappy in the parks and streets. I realise that I might be going against the dirt norm but I really feel I would like it

Posted: Oct 22, 2013 at 0:11 Quote
Short stays and neutral bb are great fun for any riding. Not too short, just under 380mm feels good all round.

Posted: Oct 22, 2013 at 0:36 Quote
A steeper head angle would also effectively lengthen the tt yes?So a couple degrees steeper would probably mean I could run a slightly shorter tt am I right?

Posted: Oct 22, 2013 at 0:59 Quote
if the wheelbase remains the same, yes, the effective top tube will be longer. too steep though and itll be unpredictable on dirt. 70 seems to work fine for me, very neutral and still snappy.

Posted: Oct 22, 2013 at 1:10 Quote
70-70.5ish is what I was thinking when I was designing a geo if I recall correctly

Posted: Oct 22, 2013 at 1:28 Quote
R-trailking-S wrote:
My thoughts:

PF30? Already seem to be headed towards tapered which is expensive as is in steel. Would love to be able to throw any crankset on there. Plus can go eccentric to change bb height. tehe.

Thick dropouts. Please don't skimp on weight there. Keep it around 5.4lbs and I'd be stoked.

Find a way to go bridgeless? Just get clogged with mud/grass on most frames.

Totally agree with disc tabs and chainstays. Long bikes, as long as you can get into the manual decently, manual for miles. Short bikes, if well balanced, spin like tops though. 15.25 in seems to do well on any setup anywhere. Go shorter and you'll probably need v2s and v3s...

what do you mean by "bridgeless"? do you mean kinda like this with no gussets between the stays>?

pastel blue descendence haze medium size frame

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016468
Mobile Version of Website