Strava Users Thread

Posted: Sep 15, 2014 at 6:36 Quote
Very happy with last weeks efforts.
A week till raceday

Posted: Sep 23, 2014 at 12:10 Quote
zeeman wrote:
Maverick (Android app) is the best app for recording .gpx files for sending to upload@strava.com.
You can turn your phone off, swap batteries, and go back to recording the same activity.

No more getting the message "Did you want to save this activity of 0.0 mi?" when Strava has chunted itself while you were busting your ass.

Another nice thing about Android is that you can hot swap your helmet cam SD card and review/trim clips while eating lunch, freeing up space and considering the best lines Big Grin

edit:
By caching Maverick's satellite, topo, and street maps, I knew exactly where I was throughout Cuba on two bike tours. All the uploading of my activities, however, took place when I got back to wifi. Maverick is incredible.

If you want some other options, like if you use iphone, here is a list:
http://cyclingabout.com/index.php/2014/01/the-best-apps-for-gps-navigation-on-a-smartphone/

I like having the additional app running so that when I'm done, despite throwing off my monthly distance and climbing, etc, I have more chances of getting a KOM due to the completely different data sets.

Posted: Sep 23, 2014 at 12:44 Quote
zeeman wrote:
zeeman wrote:
Maverick (Android app) is the best app for recording .gpx files for sending to upload@strava.com.
You can turn your phone off, swap batteries, and go back to recording the same activity.

No more getting the message "Did you want to save this activity of 0.0 mi?" when Strava has chunted itself while you were busting your ass.

Another nice thing about Android is that you can hot swap your helmet cam SD card and review/trim clips while eating lunch, freeing up space and considering the best lines Big Grin

edit:
By caching Maverick's satellite, topo, and street maps, I knew exactly where I was throughout Cuba on two bike tours. All the uploading of my activities, however, took place when I got back to wifi. Maverick is incredible.

If you want some other options, like if you use iphone, here is a list:
http://cyclingabout.com/index.php/2014/01/the-best-apps-for-gps-navigation-on-a-smartphone/

I like having the additional app running so that when I'm done, despite throwing off my monthly distance and climbing, etc, I have more chances of getting a KOM due to the completely different data sets. See example below:
photo

So one ride using two different apps gave you a minute difference on one segment?

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2014 at 13:39 Quote
wydopen wrote:
So one ride using two different apps gave you a minute difference on one segment?

This is a key example of why I only really take results from a dedicated GPS seriously.

Posted: Sep 23, 2014 at 14:46 Quote
mrbrett wrote:
wydopen wrote:

This is a key example of why I only really take results from a dedicated GPS seriously.

But what about when you and a friend go on a ride and you use your phone and friend uses a Garmin and you get nearly identical data (I have had that happen quite a few times)

Posted: Sep 23, 2014 at 16:00 Quote
I only take seriously the data that favors me!
If that doesn't work, I crop.
Cook

Posted: Oct 1, 2014 at 14:40 Quote
Man people are quick to flag rides if they think you've been in a car. Got picked up half way up a hill and didn't turn off my strava, got home lateish so didn't bother to crop it and first thing in the morning I'm getting notifications saying my ride is flagged. Mate are people really that worried to lose KOM's???

Posted: Oct 1, 2014 at 14:54 Quote
they will do it in minutes. Roadies...
So can anyone tell me how they are getting notifications of stolen KOMs, if I am not? I stopped getting the "someone stole your KOM" emails a long time ago, and my list is suffering from it because I don't know where comeuppance is due.

Posted: Oct 1, 2014 at 15:11 Quote
Around here, we have a few "tracking" their rides with a motorcycle. It's annoying when you lost a KOM. Particularly when it was an uphill climb in which the previous King has ~4mph and the new "King" had ~15mph.

Posted: Oct 1, 2014 at 15:34 Quote
zeeman wrote:
they will do it in minutes. Roadies...
So can anyone tell me how they are getting notifications of stolen KOMs, if I am not? I stopped getting the "someone stole your KOM" emails a long time ago, and my list is suffering from it because I don't know where comeuppance is due.

Go to your settings then Email preferences, there's an option for getting an Email when a KOM is lost.

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2014 at 15:46 Quote
I will admit, I have flagged a few rides. If I worked hard to get a KOM and some suspect data comes in, I flag it. What's the point if the times aren't accurate?

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2014 at 16:39 Quote
I find I only get notifications on certain segments, particularly climbs. and DH segments don't trigger a notification

Posted: Oct 1, 2014 at 19:00 Quote
Yeah if I get an email saying I lost a Kom and I go look at their power on the segment and it's well over 700 its getting flagged

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2014 at 19:24 Quote
shredjekyll wrote:
Yeah if I get an email saying I lost a Kom and I go look at their power on the segment and it's well over 700 its getting flagged

You don't get legitimate estimated spikes over 700w?

Posted: Oct 1, 2014 at 21:08 Quote
mrbrett wrote:
shredjekyll wrote:

You don't get legitimate estimated spikes over 700w?

I hit 1400 at least once every ride. I should have specified average power.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013626
Mobile Version of Website