Winter biking????

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 18, 2013 at 2:26 Quote
Hey guys,
Just curious if people have suggestions on places to go if I'm looking to go biking this winter season. I am leaving for bootcamp this spring and really want one last awesome adventure on a bike before I go and start pounding my face. I hear southern US has got some cool places. Prob would have to rent a bike since I'm coming from Alaska. Any ideas?

Posted: Nov 18, 2013 at 12:38 Quote
Moab, sunshine coast BC. I was talking to a guy from GB and he said he uses a bike shipping box and checked his bike in at the oversize baggage desk at the airport and it was cheaper than renting.

Posted: Nov 19, 2013 at 2:19 Quote
I thought Sunshine Coast went into winter lockdown... Would be kinda cool cause it's closer although I could def deal with the sunshine and warmer weather of Utah!

Posted: Nov 19, 2013 at 5:27 Quote
I guess it just depends on how much elevation you are riding at. There is even a lift operated year round bike park in the works there http://coastgravitypark.ca/

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2013 at 11:09 Quote
Arizona of course. The black canyon trail, sedona, phoenix... I started a thread for winter epics too

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 1:44 Quote
So how easy is it to find trails there in Arizona? Is that something I should get a guide for since I come from such a radically different part of the US? What about bike set up, what kinda tire size do you recommend for a rocky/sandy area? I have a 2011 Kona Cadabra with 32 talas up front and a fox float out back. Good enough for the trails out there?

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 7:23 Quote
its extremely easy to find trails in arizona or anywhere that is popular with bikers. You can use the conservation websites for specific towns or use websites such as mtbr or singletracks to read reviews which often have maps and addresses.

I personally use strava "segment explore" 99% of the time to find new trails and it is both fun and really, really easy (and efficient)

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 10:05 Quote
bctaz.com for the black canyon trail. those lat 40 maps are good. bike setup: i'm singlespeed with 150 travel 2.35 tires, most popular bikes around sedona seem to be the 5inch travel type bike. there are some smooth areas some rocky areas. I think a small travel fully will get you around very good. even in flag thats all you would need. I recommend stopping and calling local bike shops.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 10:24 Quote
North shore of Vancouver, Sunshine Coast and Squamish, BC are good for the winter. Squamish usually shuts down for January and the higher elevation of the shore can get buried, but it's mostly good to go.

Pretty wet and sloppy most of the winter, though. Still loads of fun, but don't expect much sun.

Posted: Nov 22, 2013 at 5:26 Quote
Well you guys are awesome, thank you. I'm liking Sedona AZ. I think I'd like a break from all this snow and get a little tan going. Only thing i'm not as cool with though is the thought of getting bit by a snake...

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012055
Mobile Version of Website