Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Evil
Evil Owners Club
O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 16:58 Quote
Hence the reasons ktm still has steel frames and Chad reed hated his 2005 Yamaha while the 04 was one of the best ever.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 12:07 Quote
tpersons wrote:
Hence the reasons ktm still has steel frames and Chad reed hated his 2005 Yamaha while the 04 was one of the best ever.

That is correct! I see another MX fan, awesome!

In 2005 Yamaha switched to aluminum to make the bike lighter, but as quoted "Yamaha’s first aluminum frame mixes casting, forging, and extrusion in its construction, all in hopes of avoiding the one major problem linked with aluminum framed motocross bikes in the past: increased rigidity and stiff handling." Steel frames naturally have some give and flexibility, but with aluminum and carbon you have to design that into the frame build. It's the same for mountain bikes, if it's too stiff you get deflected off your line left and right. Some people love it but I hate it when the bike is too stiff, one of the reasons I never liked the Fox 40, I prefer the Boxxer because it's not as stiff.

Posted: Jul 10, 2017 at 16:54 Quote
This PB&J really tastes like a PB&J but I wanted it to taste like a grilled cheese. This is a really bad grilled cheese.

Posted: Jul 10, 2017 at 17:41 Quote
DIGorSHUTup wrote:
This PB&J really tastes like a PB&J but I wanted it to taste like a grilled cheese. This is a really bad grilled cheese.
Dude I need to know you bath salt hook up, so I can get some...

Posted: Jul 10, 2017 at 17:48 Quote
DIGorSHUTup wrote:

photo

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 14:10 Quote
Anyone had issues recently with the rear tyre rubbing on the seat stay? Large wreckoning - hope wheels - 2.3 high roller 2 in X-low mode

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 20:44 Quote
Does anybody know if you can put a wreckoning delta link and dogbone on an insurgent frame with a wreckoning shock? If clearance works, it would give the insurgent ~170mm of rear wheel travel and only raise the bottom bracket a little bit (with offset bushings on both eyelets)

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 0:20 Quote
I picked up an XL Evil Following locally for a kick ass price and couldn't pass it up. Had it now for a few weeks and just been trying to get the fit right for me. I'm 5'8 and my justification for picking up the XL was that the reach was nearly the same compared to my previous frame that I was riding, so I thought good enough. The previous owner was nice and had let me take it for a good hour ride before I decided to buy it. So without further ado, here's how it currently is built up and then followed with a few changes that I'm wanting to do to make it a better fit for me. Saddle is slammed. I'm also curious if anyone has taken a 2.5" tire in the rear of their Following?

Evil Following XL frame
DT Swiss EX 1501 Spline wheelset
Maxxis Minion DHF DH 2.5" front tire
Maxxis Minion DHR 2.4" 3C/EXO rear tire
Rockshox Pike dual position 150/120mm fork
XX1/X01/GX drivetrain 11-42T 11 speed drivetrain with GX 175mm crankset
SRAM Rockshox Reverb stealth 125mm dropper
Shimano XTR brake set with 180mm center lock rotors
Deity Copperhead 35mm stem
Deity CZ38 Special handlebars
Deity Pinner saddle

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

So, I'm thinking of getting a 30mm length stem, with a high rise carbon handlebar. I'm also wanting to swap out my crankset for a 170mm crankset. I'm also wanting to change out my Shimano XTR calipers for Shimano Saint calipers to have much better stopping power (talked to my local shop and the calipers will work with one another, so I would keep my XTR levers and just swap out the calipers.) I'm also wanting to swap the 180mm rotors for 203mm sized rotors.

Syntace Megaforce 2 30mm Stem
ENVE High Rise V2 DH Handlebar

Thus far, I'm loving the bike and the fit feels decent (though there is room for improvement.) I'm riding the frame in the low position and with the dual position fork the frame has geometry of...

Climbing
120mm
Reach:462mm
Head Angle: 67.2 degrees
Seat Tube Angle: 73.9 degrees

Descending
150mm
Reach: 447mm
Head Angle: 66 degrees
Seat Tube Angle: 72.4 degrees

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 3:27 Quote
All that typing and no pic?!?

Come on....

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 3:33 Quote
fredro wrote:
All that typing and no pic?!?

Come on....
photo

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 7:08 Quote
You could get one of those like 10 mm stems and lower rise bar too

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 8:17 Quote
austenselk wrote:
I picked up an XL Evil Following locally for a kick ass price and couldn't pass it up. Had it now for a few weeks and just been trying to get the fit right for me. I'm 5'8 and my justification for picking up the XL was that the reach was nearly the same compared to my previous frame that I was riding, so I thought good enough. The previous owner was nice and had let me take it for a good hour ride before I decided to buy it. So without further ado, here's how it currently is built up and then followed with a few changes that I'm wanting to do to make it a better fit for me. Saddle is slammed. I'm also curious if anyone has taken a 2.5" tire in the rear of their Following?

Try and flip it, then buy a large. At 5'8, an xl is gna be way to big...id imagine the seatpost being too long when u want it slammed.

Evil Following XL frame
DT Swiss EX 1501 Spline wheelset
Maxxis Minion DHF DH 2.5" front tire
Maxxis Minion DHR 2.4" 3C/EXO rear tire
Rockshox Pike dual position 150/120mm fork
XX1/X01/GX drivetrain 11-42T 11 speed drivetrain with GX 175mm crankset
SRAM Rockshox Reverb stealth 125mm dropper
Shimano XTR brake set with 180mm center lock rotors
Deity Copperhead 35mm stem
Deity CZ38 Special handlebars
Deity Pinner saddle

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

So, I'm thinking of getting a 30mm length stem, with a high rise carbon handlebar. I'm also wanting to swap out my crankset for a 170mm crankset. I'm also wanting to change out my Shimano XTR calipers for Shimano Saint calipers to have much better stopping power (talked to my local shop and the calipers will work with one another, so I would keep my XTR levers and just swap out the calipers.) I'm also wanting to swap the 180mm rotors for 203mm sized rotors.

Syntace Megaforce 2 30mm Stem
ENVE High Rise V2 DH Handlebar

Thus far, I'm loving the bike and the fit feels decent (though there is room for improvement.) I'm riding the frame in the low position and with the dual position fork the frame has geometry of...

Climbing
120mm
Reach:462mm
Head Angle: 67.2 degrees
Seat Tube Angle: 73.9 degrees

Descending
150mm
Reach: 447mm
Head Angle: 66 degrees
Seat Tube Angle: 72.4 degrees

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 9:58 Quote
As it currently stands.
  As it currently stands.

Another view.
  Another view.

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 10:59 Quote
Maybe its just me, but 5'8" on an XL seems like it would be much too big. Based on how you have your cockpit setup, it also looks like you are making some compromises to try and make it fit? What bike were you riding before that had a similar reach?

Posted: Jul 23, 2017 at 11:06 Quote
A large Transition Suppressor. The Following feels fine and is incredibly easy to move both in the air and while climbing or descending. I went with a XL because the large's wheelbase was only 1160mm and would've been too short to feel stable at high speeds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016781
Mobile Version of Website