PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Zerode Enduro Bike with Pinion Gearbox
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 23, 2013 at 1:23 Quote
Hello Pinkbike,

I have just seen this bike on the Zerode Europe facebook page:

probable Zerode Enduro Bike

photo

It seems that Zerode have now used a Pinion gearbox instead of the modified Shimano Alfie hub they have used as gearbox on the G2 downhill bike. Also they used a Marzocchi 350 NCR fork, which would mean that it has 650b (27.5") wheels. In the image it also seems that the bike has a carbon frame, but I hope that it will also have a metal one.

The image has been deleted from FB after several minutes.

P.S.: I have also opened this thread here: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=155129
If this breaks any rules I would like to as a mod to delete the thread in the least relevant section.

Posted: Dec 23, 2013 at 9:50 Quote
Looks nice, thanks for the post!

Posted: Dec 23, 2013 at 14:39 Quote
This is something that I built in my garage to try the pinion out for myself. The Alfine still has a home on the DH bike. Zerode is a one man band so funding the trail bike is my next project...

Posted: Dec 23, 2013 at 22:33 Quote
Zerodeguy wrote:
This is something that I built in my garage to try the pinion out for myself. The Alfine still has a home on the DH bike. Zerode is a one man band so funding the trail bike is my next project...

Super impressed you built a carbon frame in your garage. Gotta say that bike makes a ton of sense, as long as it's not too heavy because of that gearbox. If it's light, I'd totally get one, a gearbox would make climbing way easier.

Posted: Dec 26, 2013 at 6:58 Quote
Been in touch with Zerode recently...pleasantly surprised to see that there 'is' an AM/Enduro that they are working on, and that they have designed an 18 speed Pinion into the frame design. I for one will be ordering one when it becomes available. I sincerely hope they are able to finance the build (perhaps with pre-orders to ensure day 1 demand?). It's also great to see that there will (hopefully) be another player in the market other than Alutech and Nicolai. And, an innovative design and drivetrain that becomes more mainstream.

Remember gearbox's last years, no smashed hangers, no crunching of gears, little chain and chainring wear...which costs regular derailleur riders $100s p/annum in replacement parts and servicing. Just don't understand why derailleur riders persevere? Weight is definitely not the issue here...it's getting demand to make these frames affordable.

A direct sale approach will hopefully be available from Zerode to cut out the middle-man and make it (more) affordable. There are several companies that have already moved to this model, viz. Canyon, YT Industries, Propane, etc (all of these are new'ish to the market and in Europe at least...are German...and their direct sales model is growing).

I wish Zerode the best for 2014...

Posted: Dec 26, 2013 at 14:45 Quote
Looks sweet, would definitely consider it, but personally I would need the seat to be able to drop lower, got a few mates thought that would have no problem with the seat height on descents,
Good luck, hope it makes it all the way

Posted: Dec 29, 2013 at 18:22 Quote
Hoping these bikes get launched soon but it will take a good amount of money to happen. In the mean time Rob is working out angles, sizes and finishing touches!

Posted: Jan 1, 2014 at 8:55 Quote
This is why you need a gearbox bike...

If you live anywhere where there is rain and mud! I've been running my Rohloff speedhub for over 5 years now on a 6" travel Commencal (Meta 6). Change the chain and sprocket once a year, front chainring every other year, gear cables were changed after 4 years, oil change twice a year, jockey wheels each year, etc...It cost me about £650 at the time. These things last forever! That's riding twice a week and about 5-6 hours. I think the record is over 100,000 miles. People who ride round the world use hub bikes.

A Pinion or a centred (in the frame) gearbox is definitely the way to go...Pinion has a greater gear range. The Rohloff has 14 gears (about the same range as a 3 x 9). I've used a twist shift...it is used like a motorbike throttle. I think you would drop down the gears much quicker than triggered (if you needed to). You don't look at what gear to use...twist it until it feels right for the legs. Until, you hit first gear...and you know you still have a big climb ahead!

Really hope Zerode is able to bring an AM/Enduro Pinion (aluminium or carbon...doesn't matter) to market in 2014...

Posted: Feb 22, 2014 at 12:51 Quote
I've been running a Rohloff in an NS Soda for the last two years. Yes it is heavy but is well worth it for all the obivious reasons. I just ride for fun and fitness no racing. People say its way to heavy but these are usually the same people who spend big dollars on saving grams on there bike but are usually 5-10kg overweight themselfs, go figure. I believe that once people open there eyes to gearboxes they will prevail.   I will buy one of these bikes when they come out forsure. Gearboxes for bikes make sense.

Posted: Jun 28, 2014 at 0:59 Quote
Any news on when we can get one of these?
.Just about to get another drive train replacement and would prefer to give my hard earned bucks towards this
.After owning 2 G1 frames I wont buy another bike till this is ready.
Kickstarter would be a cool optionSmile

Posted: Apr 11, 2015 at 20:57 Quote
Such a shame that this project has died. Kickstarted would have been a great avenue for zerode to explore. At least I'll have my g1 until the day I die.

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 19:53 Quote
Its officially not going to happen? That's a tragedy. It was my #1 choice on my next bike list.

Posted: Apr 13, 2015 at 20:42 Quote
sealpup wrote:
Any news on when we can get one of these?
.Just about to get another drive train replacement and would prefer to give my hard earned bucks towards this
.After owning 2 G1 frames I wont buy another bike till this is ready.
Kickstarter would be a cool optionSmile

1. Actually he has gotten funding to do the trail bike.
2. It will be Plastic
3. He hopes to have them out by the end of Summer.
4. I am hoping August.....

THAT IS ALL....

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 20:29 Quote
Yes it will be CARBON and 650B.....

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.054544
Mobile Version of Website