Megavalanche 2014

PB Forum :: Europe
Megavalanche 2014
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 17, 2014 at 9:10 Quote
Hi,
anybody is doing the Alpe d'Huez Mevalanche this year?
I will be there for the whole week to ride on all the Alpe d'huez trails, the officials and the non officials.
I will be based in Allemont at the camp site.

Posted: Jan 24, 2014 at 9:59 Quote
Hi, I'm booked ontot the Mega this year for the first time with a couple of mates. Coming ove rin my T5 camper, how far away is the campsite you're staying at? i've heard you can camp right under the lifts for free in Alp d'Huez, but looking for a good base for the week as we're wanting to get there Sunday 6th July.

Posted: Jan 24, 2014 at 12:38 Quote
I will stay in Allemont at the municipal camping by the swimming pool. It´s not expensive like 9.7€ per day for a caravan and two people.
It´s just at the end of the trail and you take the bus to Oz (where the lift start) just outside the camping.
It´s a very good spot because no matter the weather you can't be stuck in Oz in case of thunderstorm like if you're staying in l'alpe d'huez.
We will arrive friday during the afternoon to enjoy the Mega week at the maximum.
Do you know the Alpe d'huez or it´s your first time?

Posted: Jan 24, 2014 at 16:32 Quote
Yes I will go for the first time! Any tips on where to stay; plan to bring family to. 2 small kids and wife.

Posted: Jan 25, 2014 at 4:15 Quote
MagnePange wrote:
Yes I will go for the first time! Any tips on where to stay; plan to bring family to. 2 small kids and wife.

You want to rent a place I suppose. The best way is to rent in Alpe d'Huez village so your family can enjoy some activities in the village. The best way is just to go the http://www.alpedhuez.com/en/summer website and you can book online.
Just to know that the village is not flat and the DMC, the main lift (and the only one used during the summer) is at the top.
It's not a crazy climb (if you're motivated you can do it in a DH bike) but keep that in mind.

Posted: Jan 25, 2014 at 13:24 Quote
hpman83 wrote:
MagnePange wrote:

You want to rent a place I suppose. The best way is to rent in Alpe d'Huez village so your family can enjoy some activities in the village. The best way is just to go the http://www.alpedhuez.com/en/summer website and you can book online.
Just to know that the village is not flat and the DMC, the main lift (and the only one used during the summer) is at the top.
It's not a crazy climb (if you're motivated you can do it in a DH bike) but keep that in mind.

Thank´s a lot! From your description it sounds like the village is the best option. It´s far more easy to move my self and my bike for the riding than the oposite.

Best regards
MP

Posted: Jan 26, 2014 at 9:25 Quote
Yes, just be careful you have l'alpe d'huez which is the snow resort and Huez village which is the old village 400m lower than the resort;
Any place in the Alpe d'huez resort will be fine. Even if you're down into the lowest point of the resort it will takes you around 10min pedalling up to reach the lift.

Posted: Jan 27, 2014 at 10:56 Quote
mattyj1 wrote:
Hi, I'm booked ontot the Mega this year for the first time with a couple of mates. Coming ove rin my T5 camper, how far away is the campsite you're staying at? i've heard you can camp right under the lifts for free in Alp d'Huez, but looking for a good base for the week as we're wanting to get there Sunday 6th July.

This is the website address of the camping:
http://www.camping-leplan-allemont.com/
It's better to book the camp site to be sure to have a spot available in this busy week.
Just by email is fine.

I already did.

Posted: Jan 29, 2014 at 14:46 Quote
hpman83 wrote:
I will stay in Allemont at the municipal camping by the swimming pool. It´s not expensive like 9.7€ per day for a caravan and two people.
It´s just at the end of the trail and you take the bus to Oz (where the lift start) just outside the camping.
It´s a very good spot because no matter the weather you can't be stuck in Oz in case of thunderstorm like if you're staying in l'alpe d'huez.
We will arrive friday during the afternoon to enjoy the Mega week at the maximum.
Do you know the Alpe d'huez or it´s your first time?

Hi, yeh that sounds good I will check it out. Not been to Alpe dHuez before so it's all new to me, how for is the campsite to the lift for race day etc? Can't wait to get out there! Should I book the campsite soon to make sure we get a place? Cheers for all the advice really appreciate it!

Posted: Feb 5, 2014 at 8:11 Quote
The bottom of the Alpe d'huez trails arrive all in Allemont just by the camp site. You have a shuttle service which brings you to Oz resort where are the lifts and then, you acces to the Alpe d'Huez resort. During the week, the bus start in Allemont around 8h30am to bring you juste before 9am in Oz. Then the lifts on Oz and Alpe d'huez resort start to operate at 9am.
For the race day and qualifications days, the bus starts very early (at 5.45am for race day) so you can access to Alpe d'huez and the Pic blanc.
You have the schedule of the lifts and shuttle service here:
http://www.megavalanche.com/menu-gb.php?rubrique=119&course=1&nom_rubrique=ALPE-D%27HUEZ&sousrubrique=Lift%20&%20Shutel&PHPSESSID=857vgsq0am3meljqu8nostf6u2

Yeah I think it's better to book the camp site to be sure to have a spot. So if you book the same campsite we will se each other over here Smile

To have a better ida to know how the resort works (bus, lifts and differents place) go to http://www.alpedhuez.com/fr/ete/velo-montagne/plans.html
Download the MTB map (pdf). The lifts are in black, the campsite is in Allemont and the shuttle bus link Allemont to Oz Station. on this map, not all the trails available are shown, just the officials one Wink

Posted: Feb 22, 2014 at 11:12 Quote
Does anyone know when dates for the 2015 mega are gonna be out?? As looking to do that one .

Posted: Mar 31, 2014 at 10:58 Quote
Actually some friends ofmine told me that the Camping Municipal du plan by the swimming pool is not so great (toilets and showers). It's better to go at the other camping just a 200m away which is this one:
http://www.campinglegrandcalme.com/uk/index.html

I think I will go for this one.

Posted: Apr 15, 2014 at 10:57 Quote
The Granc Calme camp site is booked for me in Allemont Smile

Posted: May 25, 2014 at 6:50 Quote
Heading out again this year. 6th year doing the Mega. Can't get enough of it.

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 at 1:59 Quote
A mate and I are doing Mega for the first time. We are staying in Alpe d'Huez…never been to the alps before…can't wait!! 2 weeks out now. Hoping the bike and the spares are adequate…I know the legs aren't!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018055
Mobile Version of Website