Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

What bike should i get for my second bike?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
What bike should i get for my second bike?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 25, 2014 at 20:11 Quote
Hi, i've recently built a 2007 specialized bighit and after riding it on flat (just round my neighborhood) i realized that it is far too sluggish for me to ride around the streets i know that downhill/freeride bikes aren't meant for flat or uphill i'm just worried because if a group of chavs decide to lynch me for my bighit there may not be any getting away from them.

my big hit s build progress so far.

i know this contradicts what i am asking but i am wanting to build a second big travel bike which isn't as sluggish as my bighit is. not just for riding the streets but also as a backup if anything fails on my bighit. i've been looking at a cove shocker and an intense M3 as well as small travel bikes like the commencal absolute sx, banshee rampant and the dartmoor shine.

i guess asking something like this is maybe asking too much as riding a dh bike on flat ground is to be expected but like i say i'm not only wanting a bike for the streets i am wanting a backup build if anything goes wrong with my bighit or rather considering the dh frames i'm looking at a bike that'll probably be the main bike that'll make my bighit the backup bike. not that i'm knocking the bighit i can't make any judgements on it yet as i need a set of rotors for my brakes THEN i'll be able to see how it is coming downhill.

long story short:

<Photo does not exist: 7433810>

vs

photo

(these aren't full bikes i'm wanting to buy they're just examples to show you the frames i'm looking to buy.)

i've been looking at a cove shocker and an intense M3 which of these 2 frames is the better one?

and

how would i be able to make the bighit or second bike faster on flat surfaces?

(last question is prolly impossible cos like i said the sluggishness comes with the territory when they are on flat ground and out of their comfort zones)

Posted: Jan 25, 2014 at 20:13 Quote
personally i prefer the look of the cove over the m3 and it just so happens that someone is selling one of the frames.

Posted: Jan 26, 2014 at 0:38 Quote
If you put some air in that big hits front tire, it would pedal better, I bet. Nice big hit, but is it missing parts?

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 at 0:57 Quote
I really don't understand, you want a backup bike to get away from chavs but not a street bike, but only a dh frame? Doesn't make sense to me.

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 at 6:39 Quote
madmax650 wrote:
If you put some air in that big hits front tire, it would pedal better, I bet. Nice big hit, but is it missing parts?

you're right it is missing some parts,

i got an x9 10 speed mech hoping it would work with all my 9 speed kit but it doesn't so i need a 9 speed mech, other than that i'm needing 2 203mm rotors and disc brake adapters, currently the front tyre AND the back tyre is pumped up and the bike is ride-able to a certain extent the only reason they were as flat as a pancake was because i was waiting for my tubes from CRC. i have yet to put any recent pics up of it.

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 at 6:49 Quote
bobochobo wrote:
I really don't understand, you want a backup bike to get away from chavs but not a street bike, but only a dh frame? Doesn't make sense to me.

well it doesn't make sense to me either lol i'm just obsessed with the big travel dh bikes but recently i HAVE seen sense and i'm sticking to it by buying a specialized P2 instead (specifically the brown alloy one which i intend on making look very similar to my bighit in terms of components (not 888's on the p2 but more appropriate components i.e: marzocchi DJ1, maxxis hollyrollers, dirt jump saddle in 2 minds weather to keep it geared or single speed it and if i do single speed it i'm thinking of putting the "sic neutral gear" on it but if i want to get away from chavs/fags then i better not neutral gear it as the neutral gear sacrifices at least 3 or 4 cassette chainrings which i WILL need for speed, i do have a neutral gear though so i will try and experiment with it at some point but for right now speed is the priority and fakies aren't.

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 at 11:21 Quote
Why would you build a second bike that's similar to your first bike? If all you care about owning is a long travel DH rig then sell the big hit and use that money plus the money you have for your second bike and build a better DH bike....

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 at 12:04 Quote
ironxcross wrote:
Why would you build a second bike that's similar to your first bike? If all you care about owning is a long travel DH rig then sell the big hit and use that money plus the money you have for your second bike and build a better DH bike....

um it won't be similar to my first bike as a p2 is not a downhill bike it will just have the similar colored components and the components will be appropriate to the bike. besides if all i cared about was owning a long travel DH bike why would i want to sell my bighit?? if i sold my bighit i wouldn't have a second build and personally i've always wanted an mk2 bighit and you i finally have one, having a p2 or another street bike will be more efficient for riding the streets hence the reason they're called street bikes.

nothing wrong with the bighit anyway, some would even say it's overkill for courses in england.

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 at 12:40 Quote
Oh my bad I was referring to your original post... I didn't read much of anything that you wrote very thoroughly due to the excruciating lack of punctuation.

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 at 13:08 Quote
ironxcross wrote:
Oh my bad I was referring to your original post... I didn't read much of anything that you wrote very thoroughly due to the excruciating lack of punctuation.

punctuation? what's that again?? oh right i remember now. it's the stick that you need to take out of your arse. sorry i never noticed it sooner.

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 at 13:32 Quote
I'm not angry, I just though English was the official language of the UK... maybe I've got my flags mixed up.

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 at 13:43 Quote
ironxcross wrote:
I'm not angry, I just though English was the official language of the UK... maybe I've got my flags mixed up.

1) You are.
2) Correction: Thought.
3) It is.
4) You didn't.
and
5) pink bike isn't a literacy lesson it is a community website for bike riders not anal trash like you.

would you agree that you are anally retentive?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012148
Mobile Version of Website