Powered by Outside

What way do I setup 1 brake on a SC jackal to do barspins

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
What way do I setup 1 brake on a SC jackal to do barspins
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 5, 2014 at 18:43 Quote
Basically I'm building a jackal and I want one brake which will be a Shimano saint but I want to be able to do bar spins without having to return the handlebars back, so how do I accomplish this ?

Posted: Mar 5, 2014 at 20:00 Quote
You can't really, unless you buy one of those hydraulic detanglers

Posted: Mar 6, 2014 at 0:50 Quote
Rockshox32 wrote:

Agh ok you mean the gyro system for bmxs thanks.

Posted: Mar 6, 2014 at 1:11 Quote
Rockshox32 wrote:

Ive heard those are totally shit.

Better just learn oppo barspins aswell

Posted: Mar 6, 2014 at 1:23 Quote
or just dont cut the hose and wrap it in the headtube/steerer just below the stem

Posted: Mar 6, 2014 at 10:25 Quote
djayelizon23 wrote:
or just dont cut the hose and wrap it in the headtube/steerer just below the stem

I was gonna try that actually, I'll give it a go once I get the frame

Posted: Mar 6, 2014 at 15:14 Quote
TheFreney wrote:
Basically I'm building a jackal and I want one brake which will be a Shimano saint but I want to be able to do bar spins without having to return the handlebars back, so how do I accomplish this ?

Shimano Saint brake ($200-ish) is total overkill on a DJ bike. Avid BB7 mechanical are simple and work great.

Hydraulic brakes are better suited for Downhill !

Posted: Mar 6, 2014 at 16:03 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
TheFreney wrote:

Shimano Saint brake ($200-ish) is total overkill on a DJ bike. Avid BB7 mechanical are simple and work great.

I can get saints very cheap new and I weigh a lot about 200lbs and I'd like try a set anyway lol

Posted: Mar 6, 2014 at 20:05 Quote
TheFreney wrote:
cmc4130 wrote:
TheFreney wrote:

I can get saints very cheap new and I weigh a lot about 200lbs and I'd like try a set anyway lol

CMC is right. That is over kill I don't care how cheap your getting it bet you still pay more than a BB7. I'm big guy weigh over 200 easily and they stop me fine. But your bike run what ever

Posted: Mar 6, 2014 at 20:15 Quote
That1GuyYO wrote:
TheFreney wrote:
cmc4130 wrote:

CMC is right. That is over kill I don't care how cheap your getting it bet you still pay more than a BB7. I'm big guy weigh over 200 easily and they stop me fine. But your bike run what ever

If he wants to spend the money on that expensive brake, Let him Even tho he should get the bb7! In the end i think its what he'll will be happy with

Posted: Mar 6, 2014 at 23:03 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
TheFreney wrote:

I disagree on riding mechanicals on dirt:
- first of all mechanical disc brakes have a spongy feel: which is good for dosing the ammount of brakepower when riding xc or in the mountains, but does not come handy at all when you need to block your wheel for tricks like abubacas, fufanus and other kinds of rear wheel tricks.
- second of all many dirt riders do barspins and tailwhips. once your mechanical cables are wrapped around your stem (after doing a bar or a whip) the inner cable will get tighter and your brake will start rubbing. and that's not something you want while riding a set of dirts.

I really dislike the BB5 and BB7, better just stick to hydraulics with all it's benefits than having those retro mechanical brakes. IMO mechanical only works well on v-brakes.

Also if he can get a nice deal on Saints, why not? I've got some overpriced stuff aswell on some of my bikes, but paid nowhere near the recommended retail price. For example on my all-mountain hardtail machine I've got a full XTR shiftset (rear shifter, cables, rear derailleur, chain, and cassette), which has only cost me €100 total. I would never buy it at RRP, but why would I spend more on a Deore set when I can buy a nearly unused XTR set for less?

Posted: Mar 7, 2014 at 2:54 Quote
I have a complete XTR Bronson with enve rims by the way.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013836
Mobile Version of Website