Powered by Outside

Shimano Rear Derailleur LOSS OF REVERSE SPRING TENSION

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano Rear Derailleur LOSS OF REVERSE SPRING TENSION
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 8, 2014 at 7:04 Quote
I have a Shimano XT 9spd long cage Rear Derailleur that seems to have lost almost all rearward or reverse tension.
Every time the bike hits a bump, small or large, the rear derailleur slaps the bottom of the chain stay.
I am a novice mechanic, have built 20+ bikes, and used many XT derailleurs & chain guides but never come across this.
I am running 1x9 with an MRP Micro chain guide up front and yes, the chain is the correct length.
Can the internal spring tension inside the derailleur body be adjusted?
Is this even the problem or do I have something else wrong?
Is the derailleur simply "worn out"???

Any help greatly appreciated!

Posted: Mar 8, 2014 at 7:47 Quote
Check out your R der. model here
http://si.shimano.com/#seriesList/3

Look for the EV exploded View versions.

Anyways I cant say I have done it on that specific Derailleur but I have on 6700 ultegras in the past.
Usually there is a bolt on the P-knuckle that you can remove, clean everything up re grease and the tricky part is getting the spring back into the right notch for tension, but it is do able

Posted: Mar 8, 2014 at 9:09 Quote
bigairbryan wrote:
Check out your R der. model here
http://si.shimano.com/#seriesList/3

Look for the EV exploded View versions.

Anyways I cant say I have done it on that specific Derailleur but I have on 6700 ultegras in the past.
Usually there is a bolt on the P-knuckle that you can remove, clean everything up re grease and the tricky part is getting the spring back into the right notch for tension, but it is do able

Thanks for the tip. I found an exploded view that may help.
The crazy thing is, I swapped this derailleur from another bike that I had been riding for 6 months without issue...exact same chain guide set-up and everything. I don't get it???

Posted: Mar 8, 2014 at 12:40 Quote
The tension spring came out of it's seat in the body - take it out and you'll see a grove were the tang on that end walked around inside the body.
You likely caught the derailleur in full swing when something was forcing it to want to continue this forward sweep. A Rock, a large stick. Two rocks, two large sticks... whatever it's fixable just be sure to preload the spring before reinserting the derailleur cage.

Posted: Mar 8, 2014 at 19:42 Quote
Ulysees wrote:
The tension spring came out of it's seat in the body - take it out and you'll see a grove were the tang on that end walked around inside the body.
You likely caught the derailleur in full swing when something was forcing it to want to continue this forward sweep. A Rock, a large stick. Two rocks, two large sticks... whatever it's fixable just be sure to preload the spring before reinserting the derailleur cage.

Rock and roll, that sounds like it could do the trick! Thanks for the tip.
I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and let ya know if it works.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008810
Mobile Version of Website