What are the strongest wheels

PB Forum :: Downhill
What are the strongest wheels
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 12, 2014 at 11:22 Quote
i was thinking about the mavic deemax, i was just wondering are they as good as people say they are

Posted: Mar 12, 2014 at 13:37 Quote
specializedtrailblazer wrote:
i was thinking about the mavic deemax, i was just wondering are they as good as people say they are

They really are. Only problem people run into is keeping the rear hub in good condition. It's far from a King setup in terms of reliability, it needs to be repacked once in a while to keep it running well. Obviously, it's bombproof, light, and tubeless ready. If you have the $$, go for it.

Posted: Mar 12, 2014 at 14:33 Quote
it's because i'm thinking of getting a specialized demo and i either keep the roval wheels on it or have a huge upgrade to some ace wheels

Posted: Mar 12, 2014 at 15:07 Quote
it's because i'm thinking of getting a specialized demo and i either keep the roval wheels on it or have a huge upgrade to some ace wheels

Dude, i work in a bike shop, stay away from roval.

Well i have experience with road bike rovals, but they are crap.

i dont know about the mtb ones, but yeah....

FL
Posted: Mar 12, 2014 at 15:26 Quote
2012 and newer rovals are fine. Swap out the nipples for brass ones right away or you will be snapping spokes like crazy. There is a reason everyone races deemaxs on the wc. Best wheelset imo. Deemaxs feel better/stiffer on my demo but are abit heavier than the stock rovals.

Posted: Mar 12, 2014 at 20:59 Quote
What are the strongest wheels on the market free range downhill, price rage for the 2 wheels is about 700 max, so what are the strongest that will last, they will be going on a specialized demo, what do I buy, strongest I can get

strongest rims, without a doubt, are arrow racing (dhh or frx ),not the lightest tho. find any hub and wheelsmith spokes or dtswiss and you are good.
mavic 321/721/729 are also good, also the 521? something that came on my yakuza .
i would not ride dt swiss, i think they are overpriced but het some people like that.
syncros seemed fine when i had them, the 32 and the 24 one.
sun ringle also makes good things

lacing a wheel is really easy (check the youtube), you just need the right spokes (not hard to measure), then just go to a shop to have them tensioned or trued once you put them together. mavic road wheels seem to have issues with their hubs, seen a few go booo.

or just buy AZONIC OUTLAWS, they are good enough for 99% of people
you could even match if with your bike (i understand lots of people like doing that)

Posted: Mar 12, 2014 at 21:23 Quote
thereisnospoon wrote:
My vote goes to Mavic 823s if you aren't running huge rubber. or Mag30s/Doubletracks if you don't care about tubeless.
I rode 729s for years, tubed and tubeless, and they were pretty strong. but my Mag30s survived far more abuse without flatspotting than my 729s.
I ran 823s last season, and they're stiffer, stay true longer, and are harder to flatspot than my 729s.
TBH, I see no reason to buy 729s with 823s being only slightly more expensive and tubeless out of the box (if running tires no larger than a 2.7 Minion/2.5 MM).

my $0.02.

yeah the only reason to go with a 729 is the rim width.
external diameter of the 729 is 36
external of 823 is 30

Posted: Mar 13, 2014 at 6:00 Quote
markunit10 wrote:
What are the strongest wheels on the market free range downhill, price rage for the 2 wheels is about 700 max, so what are the strongest that will last, they will be going on a specialized demo, what do I buy, strongest I can get

strongest rims, without a doubt, are arrow racing (dhh or frx ),not the lightest tho. find any hub and wheelsmith spokes or dtswiss and you are good.
mavic 321/721/729 are also good, also the 521? something that came on my yakuza .
i would not ride dt swiss, i think they are overpriced but het some people like that.
syncros seemed fine when i had them, the 32 and the 24 one.
sun ringle also makes good things

lacing a wheel is really easy (check the youtube), you just need the right spokes (not hard to measure), then just go to a shop to have them tensioned or trued once you put them together. mavic road wheels seem to have issues with their hubs, seen a few go booo.

or just buy AZONIC OUTLAWS, they are good enough for 99% of people
you could even match if with your bike (i understand lots of people like doing that)

If he has an actual budget, don't get anything from mavics 3 series. Heavy, cheap, and not as strong as the 7 or 8 series. Either get the 800 series that's ust, or the 700 series. People run outlaws for a reason though, cheap strong and reliable.

Posted: Mar 13, 2014 at 12:57 Quote
i use to have dt swiss and they are awful, had to rebuild my wheel i think 5 or 6 times now, they buckle crack and break so easy

Posted: Mar 13, 2014 at 13:54 Quote
those arrow racing tho hahaha

Posted: Mar 15, 2014 at 12:03 Quote
Thinking of getting mavic 823 on hope hubs for my glory but not sure about going tubeless as I've always rode tubes anybody got any advice???

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014786
Mobile Version of Website