Any world cup dh racers that wear glasses?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Any world cup dh racers that wear glasses?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 6:49 Quote
Just wondering if any of the elite racers wear glasses and how they manage with goggles over the top, or any other solutions they might find easier? Does anyone know?

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 7:03 Quote
contact lenses would be my guess

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 7:08 Quote
Yes I assume most of them would wear lenses, but if any of them can't, just wondering what they do. I can't wear lenses and vision is the biggest problem I have when out biking!

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 7:22 Quote
thats is a shitty situation man :/

maybe you could use crrective googles... i have only seen this in swimming googles though

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 7:56 Quote
Prescription lenses for goggles. Speak to your optician, they might know someone who could make them. At worst wear glasses under, I actually have a couple friend who actually wears glasses under their goggles!

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 9:32 Quote
I ride with glasses under goggles and it's fine until everything starts fogging when you stop, as the glasses fog too. I had real issues this weekend in torrential rain, just gave up in the end and rode with just my specs. I'm going to try some vented goggles and see if that helps the fogging in humid weather. I had a pair of prescription inserts made for snowboarding and they were horrendous, avoid at all costs.

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 12:06 Quote
Agree on the glasses fogging up under goggles. I'm going to try removing the foam around the vents on my goggles, plus I was thinking about drilling a line of tiny holes around the perimeter of the front of the lens... small enough that mud shouldn't get in but big enough for air flow to increase. No idea if it'll work mind.

The other option is prescription sunglasses/wraparound type designs? I know the prescription inserts probably wouldn't be any better than usual glasses, but something like the links below might work? I'm just waiting for my eyes to recover from an operation I recently had so I can get a new eye test and order some up.

http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/270/presription-safety-glasses-military-rx-tactical-glasses-goggles-ansi
http://www.sportsprescriptionglasses.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=55
http://www.sportsprescriptionglasses.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=276
http://www.uksportseyewear.co.uk/product.php/388/prescription-sun-glasses-for-skiing

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 12:43 Quote
I use Oakley L-Frame goggles: They are designed to be worn over glasses and work.

I can't answer the questions about WC racers, I'm afraid.

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 at 14:33 Quote
Hi! My name is Bengt Leon and I am a lisenced Optometrist in Norway. I also ride downhill on a national level, and have been doing so for the last 9 years.

As said earlier you should talk to your local Optican/Optometrist. Set up an apointment to talk about sportcorrection. There is several options.

1. Contacts. Most people can wear them. I recomend a 1day siliconehydrogel lens. Like the dailies total1. Becuse with 1day lenses it is no crisis if you loose one, you can just Wash your hands and pop in a new, fresh, clean lens. Some companies make them for astigmatism aswell if you need this. Again ask your Optometrist...

2. Inserts for goggles. Both adidas and oakley have this for most of their goggles. But i recomend the ones from Zeiss. Don't buy the Zeiss goggles, just the inserts. They fit most brands and have better field of vision then the ones from adidas/oakley.

3. Laser refractive surgery. Talk to your Optometrist about this for more info. You have to have had the same correction for 2yrs and use a practice that have the latest equiptment.

And again.. Your best option is to talk to your local Optometrist. If he/she can't hjelp you. Go see another clinic.

Posted: Apr 10, 2014 at 3:35 Quote
Thanks for your reply - unfortunately options 1 and 3 are not possible for me as I have had 3x trabeculactomy plus now have ahmed valve implant in one eye (the other may get done next year). Option 2 I am just a bit nervous to try - in what way are inserts better than glasses in terms of staying clear of mist? I'm not sure if I believe they will be better so am reluctant to spend the money!

Cheers Mikey, I might try them. You don't get fogging up at all?

bengtleon wrote:
Hi! My name is Bengt Leon and I am a lisenced Optometrist in Norway. I also ride downhill on a national level, and have been doing so for the last 9 years.

As said earlier you should talk to your local Optican/Optometrist. Set up an apointment to talk about sportcorrection. There is several options.

1. Contacts. Most people can wear them. I recomend a 1day siliconehydrogel lens. Like the dailies total1. Becuse with 1day lenses it is no crisis if you loose one, you can just Wash your hands and pop in a new, fresh, clean lens. Some companies make them for astigmatism aswell if you need this. Again ask your Optometrist...

2. Inserts for goggles. Both adidas and oakley have this for most of their goggles. But i recomend the ones from Zeiss. Don't buy the Zeiss goggles, just the inserts. They fit most brands and have better field of vision then the ones from adidas/oakley.

3. Laser refractive surgery. Talk to your Optometrist about this for more info. You have to have had the same correction for 2yrs and use a practice that have the latest equiptment.

And again.. Your best option is to talk to your local Optometrist. If he/she can't hjelp you. Go see another clinic.

Posted: Apr 10, 2014 at 11:54 Quote
I see. How high is your refractive error? As this may effect what kind of glasses is best for you.

Inserts will stay better in place when tings get bumpy as they are fixed inside the frame of your goggle.

On fogging: there is some lens coatings that is better then other on this. The best topcoats is a bit more expensive but worth the upgrade. And you should also use a cleaningspray that is made to prevent fog on both your glasses and goggles.

Posted: Apr 10, 2014 at 13:29 Quote
Hi Dan,

The only time I get fogging is on really wet/cold days and every time it clears up as soon as I start riding.

Posted: Apr 10, 2014 at 13:45 Quote
Try RainX anti fog. Comes in a black plastic bottle. It's for interior automotive glass. Might solve your problem. P.S. don't get the yellow bottle, thats for exterior glass.

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 14:38 Quote
Hey Dan, I wear a pair of prescription Oakley's. Can be a bit tricky sometimes with a full face on but ok once on. Some times if I'm just wearing a piss pot they sit fine. Can't answer your question about the pros but would imagine contact lenses.

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 21:31 Quote
ADhGuy wrote:
Prescription lenses for goggles. Speak to your optician, they might know someone who could make them. At worst wear glasses under, I actually have a couple friend who actually wears glasses under their goggles!

Pretty much this. Contacts, prescription lenses, or a over the glasses specific goggle. I know Oakley makes over the glasses goggles and I think most other goggle companies do too.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012894
Mobile Version of Website