Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

How do you prevent a sore back from biking?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
How do you prevent a sore back from biking?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 18:41 Quote
I sometimes after I am bikeing I get a realy soar back. I am just wondering if anyone else gets this. it seems like it doesn't hurt at all while I am biking but when I am done it seems to hurt a lot. Sometimes it gets stiff while I ride. What do you guys do about it? Any strechs that help?Very confused

btw, its usualy in my lower left back

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 18:42 Quote
yeah stretch

take a hot bath

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 18:43 Quote
07Argyle318 wrote:
yeah stretch

take a hot bath

Can you be more specific as to what streaches you do? DO you ever crack your back? (I was told thats bad for you)

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 18:44 Quote
SavageMountainAnimal wrote:
07Argyle318 wrote:
yeah stretch

take a hot bath

Can you be more specific as to what streaches you do? DO you ever crack your back? (I was told thats bad for you)

yeah i crack my back

(scientific studies prove cracking bones has no advers affects on your body.)

i do toe touch stetches before and after each ride

hot bath after ride too

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 18:45 Quote
Here's an article on the matter, apparently there is no link between the 2 but its still not something you want to do. Article.

From what I've experienced, usually lower back pains are an indication that something isn't setup right for your riding style. Typically lower back pains happen when you're reaching too far forward or you're sitting too low or high.

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 18:49 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
Here's an article on the matter, apparently there is no link between the 2 but its still not something you want to do. Article.

From what I've experienced, usually lower back pains are an indication that something isn't setup right for your riding style. Typically lower back pains happen when you're reaching too far forward or you're sitting too low or high.

I am not sure. i have head many different times that is bad and many times that it is good to crack your back. At least before physical activity idk, it seems like it would be bad if you did it constantly.

As for the riding style. that does seem like me. People have said I ride goofy, but I just assumed that was my own personal style.

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 18:53 Quote
It happens to me some times . I rember i was dirt jumping at the comp all day no stop and my back gave out on me in the morning i could move.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 19:01 Quote
just streach I almost always have a hurt back but a streach before a ride can acctually make it better as long as I am sitting comfortably

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 19:04 Quote
samnation wrote:
just streach I almost always have a hurt back but a streach before a ride can acctually make it better as long as I am sitting comfortably

The thing about sitting is I only do that 20 percent of the time I am on my bike. lol

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 19:07 Quote
SavageMountainAnimal wrote:
samnation wrote:

The thing about sitting is I only do that 20 percent of the time I am on my bike. lol

how much do you bend over because that can do it too I know its easier but bending for a while can be hard

as for streaches sit with your legs out put one over the other and twist don't try and crack it because you don't get as good a streach if it cracks

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 19:10 Quote
I get sore backs a lot after I was riding, I think it has to do with my posture while riding. I don't really do much to prevent it, stetching doesn't really help it. If it gets really bad I just pop a couple pills, or just lay down for a bit.

Chom,

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 19:13 Quote
In our generation, we have exercised less than before. It is proven that young people don't have as much abdominal muscle, unlike the old days.
Thus making our back work more.

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 19:17 Quote
I got some very bad lower back pain from riding my DJ bike long distances. The seat was to low and I REALLY messed up my lower back to the point where I couldnt walk after baseball practice or tryouts. It took 2-3 months of pysio to fix this with daily stretches. Id try to find out the problem and start doing lower back excersizes. One of the excersizes I did that I found that worked very well was you lay flat on the ground and do a push-up while only lifting the top half of your body off the ground and keeping your legs on the ground. You should feel your lower back muscles stretching. The pysiotherapist recommended doing 40 a day. If you want some more info, just PM me.

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 19:23 Quote
chasefreeride37 wrote:
I got some very bad lower back pain from riding my DJ bike long distances. The seat was to low and I REALLY messed up my lower back to the point where I couldnt walk after baseball practice or tryouts. It took 2-3 months of pysio to fix this with daily stretches. Id try to find out the problem and start doing lower back excersizes. One of the excersizes I did that I found that worked very well was you lay flat on the ground and do a push-up while only lifting the top half of your body off the ground and keeping your legs on the ground. You should feel your lower back muscles stretching. The pysiotherapist recommended doing 40 a day. If you want some more info, just PM me.

I went to the physical thero too. She gave me some streches and stuff but nothing really ever helped a ton. I took some time off the bike but it still kind of is back there.

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 21:04 Quote
i used to get really bad back pains too, to the point of not being able to bend over as i eventually pulled something in my back...
but what helps me, and i do it every day is to stretch ur hamstrings, because when they get to tight they pull on ur back muscle.

also when i switched from mtb to bmx my back pain got better- u dont get as much stress on it as u do on the big bike

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011440
Mobile Version of Website