Whats a good Enduro type bike for someone who is somewhat heavy?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Whats a good Enduro type bike for someone who is somewhat heavy?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 11:01 Quote
At your weight I'd avoid Giant Maestro suspension as I found it needs very stiff springs to stop it blowing through all the rear travel (200lbs on a Reign X though I think all maestro links are similarly afflicted) and if using an air shock you wont be able to pump it high enough to cope (ie needs more than max allowed pressure). +1 for Transtion Coverts though check size as they do seem to come up short in the top tube.

Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 21:41 Quote
I have a giant trance 27.5 3 model and love it. I weigh 245 and am running 160 psi front and 180 psi rear with 25% sag and that is well below max psi for both shocks. I run some small drops and some fairly rough terrain and it soaks it up even at my weight. That bike runs around $2000 and you can get the 2 for $2300 and the 1 for $3000. From what I've read they have a killer warranty too. Something to consider.

Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 5:43 Quote
maccduff wrote:
At your weight I'd avoid Giant Maestro suspension as I found it needs very stiff springs to stop it blowing through all the rear travel (200lbs on a Reign X though I think all maestro links are similarly afflicted) and if using an air shock you wont be able to pump it high enough to cope (ie needs more than max allowed pressure). +1 for Transtion Coverts though check size as they do seem to come up short in the top tube.

my old man had a Reign (not to be confused with Reign X) has also had to run high psi and he's far from a heavy weight.

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 6:17 Quote
maccduff wrote:

I'm 6'2" Large Covert fits perfect

Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 18:03 Quote
You can pretty much get an amazing superbike with top specs for $3000 used.

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2014 at 16:04 Quote
you can probably find some pretty good deals on used Stumpjumpers in the for sale section on Pinkbike. Probably could get a really good 1-2 yr old bike for around $2200. 3k makes it a bit tough to get a new bike unfortunately.

Posted: Jul 18, 2014 at 18:19 Quote
Yes, the Stumpjumpers look pretty good. Gotta be honest, most bikes seem to be more than up to par for this. Many nice bikes to choose from. I've looked around on Craigslist a bit and it seems like you can pick up a very slightly used bike for big discounts. I think that's the route I will go.

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2014 at 19:06 Quote
it's a pretty solid way to go! Get a bike ride it for a while figure out what you like and don't like about it then maybe save up some money and buy a brand new one down the road. Then u can resell the used bike for probably about what you paid for it anyways!!

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 1:18 Quote
nate35 wrote:
it's a pretty solid way to go! Get a bike ride it for a while figure out what you like and don't like about it then maybe save up some money and buy a brand new one down the road. Then u can resell the used bike for probably about what you paid for it anyways!!
+1

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013169
Mobile Version of Website