Where'd you ride today?

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Where'd you ride today?
O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 16:40 Quote
14 miles and almost 2,800' around Galbraith today. Keystone, Cougar, Cabin, Cheech and Chong's Wild Ride...more of a XC day but still fun.

EPIC weather, and got to stop and watch some young shredders hitting the Blue Steel jumpline. Looks like so much fun! Wish I wasn't so old.....Big Grin

Views: 840    Faves: 1    Comments: 0

Views: 993    Faves: 0    Comments: 3

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 15:13 Quote
Finally got out to proper test the upgraded fork today and DAMN it is cold. Idk how much riding we have left this season here in MT Cry

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 15:24 Quote
Had a big solo ride planned today but bailed this morning to go surf with my buddy. Ended up being so crowded with kooky people from inland.

tried to salvage a ride, decided to try riding clipped in with my gravel shoes on the mtb, did a really heinous fire road climb (its like 1500 ft over 2 miles) and about a quarter mile from the top my chain broke and of course i fell over clipped in. So lame.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 15:55 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Had a big solo ride planned today but bailed this morning to go surf with my buddy. Ended up being so crowded with kooky people from inland.

tried to salvage a ride, decided to try riding clipped in with my gravel shoes on the mtb, did a really heinous fire road climb (its like 1500 ft over 2 miles) and about a quarter mile from the top my chain broke and of course i fell over clipped in. So lame.
Isn't that the second chain you have broke in a few weeks ? Animal !

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 16:02 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

It's gonna take me awhile to get used to your new screen name! You might always be Slaker in my feeble, old mind!

I do a double-take every time I read one of your posts now! lol

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 16:22 Quote
lol Ive been a slaker for too long now.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 16:29 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

Yeah, first one i understand cause it had like 2000 miles on it, but this new one only has like 100 miles on it, both chains snapped at the masterlinks so maybe i just set them up wrong. cute girl at the shop hooked me with a new one so hopefully tomorrows ride goes better lol

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 12:26 Quote
Just curious if any of you guys have any experience training a trail dog. Getting a puppy in a few weeks (either Belgian Malinois or Australian cattle dog) and would love to have a partner on the trails if the temperament works out.

Thanks!

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 13:03 Quote
Just read the comments every time there is a trail dog video on the front page lol

I wouldn't start riding with them when they're super young. Take some time to get basic off-lead training and behaviour dialled, solid recall, aware of you and wanting to follow you, not panicked or excited by people/dogs/animals/noises etc.
Then start with some gentle slow riding in places where you're not likely to crash and hurt one/both of you. Gently build that up and be really really clear about what is/isn't acceptable - you have to be firm about this as it's critical they grasp it so you don't hurt them on proper trails, but also make sure they get loads of praise when they're getting it right.
They're both bright breeds and will probably really enjoy it, so should pick it up fairly easily.
Maybe I've been lucky but not sure there is any specific magic to it - this approach has worked for me with four dogs so far, at least two of whom were a total PITA as puppies.

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 13:09 Quote
I would have thought the dogs would have just ate you and then went off to do their own thing? Wait. You're not a real banana aren't you!! Liar!!! I have been fooled for too long!

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 13:09 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
Just read the comments every time there is a trail dog video on the front page lol

This for sure, especially on a recent article about how trail dogs seem to have a high amount of arthritic issues earlier in their lives.

Ive also heard that it helps to get them comfortable just being around bikes, just having the bike in the house and making sure the dog isn't scared of it helps with training later on

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 13:16 Quote
The general rule of thumb is not to trail run them until a year old. Pads and bone structure need development. In that time work on voice commands. That is the biggest thing, keeping them in control. My dipshit was old enough when we got him and took right to it, his biggest downfall is getting freaked out by other bikes popping out of the woods and running up barking at them. Very embarrassing. And dangerous. Still working on that but usually just take him places i know wont be crowded.

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 13:28 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
I would have thought the dogs would have just ate you and then went off to do their own thing? Wait. You're not a real banana aren't you!! Liar!!! I have been fooled for too long!
I'm a real banana, but since I'm over 3'6" tall it's difficult to eat me. Appreciate that may be difficult for you to grasp though Razz

sterlingmagnum wrote:
The general rule of thumb is not to trail run them until a year old. Pads and bone structure need development. In that time work on voice commands. That is the biggest thing, keeping them in control.
Exactly this. Take that first year to let them build their body structure and get the rest of their training sorted.

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
Don't make me go get some ice cream banana!! I will do it!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020191
Mobile Version of Website