Worthwhile xc/enduro trails in hawaii? (kauai/oahu/big island/maui)

PB Forum :: USA - West
Worthwhile xc/enduro trails in hawaii? (kauai/oahu/big island/maui)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 9, 2014 at 4:43 Quote
Hey, tried the search option without any results.

Im going to hawaii for 3 weeks with my girlfriend. We both ride but the trip isn't bike-centric so we're leaving the bikes at home... but we'd still really like to squeeze in a riding day in there if there are some worthwhile XC trails. We'll be hitting kauai/oahu/big island and possibly maui. We're both decent riders and we can handle pretty much any trail. It's hard to tell what is worth it and what is not on the web sometimes so tips from local riders would be very appreciated since we'd like to avoid the usual touristy gravel paths too often sold as "the ultimate mountain bike experience!". We don't really need a guide, just a map and a loop suggestion would be great, or even just a general area worth riding would help.

If you also know of any nice shops to rent bikes that would be nice.

Thanks!

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 19:01 Quote
If you go to the big island hit up Matt at mountain road cycles in waimea. It's by the police station behind big island brewhaus (which is a great place for beer and tacos after a ride) he's got some rentals and he'll send you down some trails. There's a couple out and backs in town or you could get in a car and go ride some other trails. Matt's the shit he'll hook ya up.

Edit- don't waste your time at other shops. They just want your money. Bike works in kona is full of donkeys that want all your money.

Another Edit- I haven't been home in a couple years but not much changes in Hawaii. So info should be good. Matt had big plans for rental guide ride stuff that he might have going now days.

Posted: Oct 13, 2014 at 5:45 Quote
Duly noted, thank you.

Posted: Dec 9, 2014 at 20:38 Quote
Mtbhawaii.com for oahu

Posted: Dec 10, 2014 at 13:42 Quote
We hit Matt at mountain road cycles in waimea and all his xc bikes were out so we didn't ride there. Cool dude though!

I ended up going to "the bike shop" on oahu and we rented 2 spesh enduros. We rode at pupukea. The bikes were quite big for the network but we had a lot of fun. Cool place to ride.

We learned, after leaving maui, that they built a bike park there, bummer.

Posted: Dec 10, 2014 at 15:59 Quote
PLC07 wrote:
We hit Matt at mountain road cycles in waimea and all his xc bikes were out so we didn't ride there. Cool dude though!

I ended up going to "the bike shop" on oahu and we rented 2 spesh enduros. We rode at pupukea. The bikes were quite big for the network but we had a lot of fun. Cool place to ride.

We learned, after leaving maui, that they built a bike park there, bummer.

Bummer he didnt have any bike theres some cool rides in waimea. Sounds like you guys had a good time and still got to ride some bikes which is always great!

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2015 at 2:35 Quote
I rented a bike from matt a couple years ago on a trip. Great guy, hooks it up with trail knowledge and a solid rental (though I wish one of the SC superlights was available instead of the khs tempe). Only got to ride near kailua kona at some small park that had a few singletrack descents (I think honua'lua reserve) and another park near honoka'a. rode some of the trail near waimea that starts to go towards saddle road, but I didn't bring enough gear from home for such a long ride solo.

would like to learn more about other possible trails, though I'm sure they're poach/locals only stuff

Posted: Jan 7, 2015 at 19:50 Quote
Don't know about the other islands but I know oahu decent if that would help. Most of it is xc am stuff.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010172
Mobile Version of Website