Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 21:55 Quote
jtwickenden wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:
jtwickenden wrote:
How are you finding the synthesis wheels?

They are fantastic. Definitely one of the best carbon rim options on the market right now, in my opinion. Smooth ride characteristics, and tough as nails.

Do you genuinely notice the additional compliance? I’m living somewhere very rocky at the moment and some more flex in my wheels would be welcome.

On the compliance side, I find they mute square edge chunky kind of hits well. The kind that bottom out a tire. They have these big thick rim walls and a shallow profile, and I think this has a lot to do with it. They are massively confidence inspiring.

As the others have said also, We Are One and NOBL are also making fantastic stuff. I am fortunate enough to get to test many of them, and build even more for other people.

I've always been a sucker for We Are One, being hand made in Canada. Being from Newfoundland and having in the past ridden We Are One hoops laid by Newfoundlanders who grew up just around the corner from me has been pretty special. I've not ridden their latest generation hoops, but I am looking forward to doing so this coming season. We Are One hoops always build up very nicely and have great ride qualities too. Good bunch of guys working there, and they really stand behind their products. If you have trouble, they have your back. I have built up a bunch of Factions and Unions, and people are really happy with them.

NOBL is also fantastic. While their rims are Asian made, they are using some pretty cool and novel engineering/profiles now and the ride quality is really great. Very snappy and responsive. I have a set of TR37's on my Spur, and while I only have a few hundred km's on them so far, I am pretty pleased with them. The guys working at NOBL are also rad and very supportive, and

Crank Bro's are more expensive than either We Are One or NOBL, but I can tell you they hit it out of the park with these rims. In terms of being compliant, of the lot I think they are probably the most compliant, they dampen impacts a little better than anything I've ridden lately. These are the one set I am not afraid to lower pressures on in really rough terrain. You guys probably know that Mello Bouwmeester, of Bouwmeester Composites who designed these rims. The rims he designed under his own name were basically what Zipp knocked off when they made their 3Zero Moto hoops. I like to think the Synthesis are the V2's of the originals, and a step ahead of ZIPP's hoops. Mello is also a pretty great guy, and actually reaches out to builders and makes himself available for questions and feedback. Crank Bro's have dialed it up a couple notches and definitely take the wheel products seriously. Like We Are One, and NOBL's most recent offerings, CB also offer lifetime warranty. Mello is also a Transition Scout rider, so it wouldn't surprise me if he popped up in here.

Bottom line, you aren't going to go wrong with either of these rims. Lots of build photos in my profile if you care to look.

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 6:55 Quote
TyMak wrote:
andeh23 wrote:
TyMak wrote:
Anyone with EXT on the Patrol out here who played around with spring rates? Any recommendations? What's your experience? Thinking of going down to 475 rate for 86-88 kg, wanted to check if it's worth trying before I order.

EXT seems to have a similar approach to Fox where they handle the shock's performance via damping and not spring rate (like Öhlins does) resulting in rather lower spring rates than recommended.

Not on a Patrol, but I've found the EXT calculation for spring rate to be accurate for me when I'm honest about riding weight. You can find the formula in the manual for the shock on their website. Both their fork and shock do use their damping along with spring to feel good, but the whole range of damping is rideable, and the I personally am able to feel the difference between clicks.

Define accurate.

I kinda think EXT wants you to ride a softer spring. Did you try different springs as EXT gives you two when you buy the Storia.
Accurate as in sag is within 1% of predicted. I've used 3 different EXT springs depending on my bike's travel/stroke and it was pretty spot on each time.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 5:10 Quote
Hi Transitionners !

Brand new Sentinel in da place, but ... :/ anyone else in the same boat ? Frame is new, I can't even think about the moment i will unscrew the bolt to clear protect it or doing maintenance

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 6:14 Quote
It just looks like excess paint build up around where they had plugs in for painting...

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 8:45 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
It just looks like excess paint build up around where they had plugs in for painting...

Yeah that, plus a mangled bolt head. You have to remember these bikes are made for a few hundred dollars, they don't have time to do things properly!

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 9:02 Quote
It looks like the surfaces where heads bolt sit, weren't propely taped before painting, so these surfaces being painted, when you screw the bolt, it starts to shear the paint under and around the head bolt. The paint is still in place after the first assembly but i'm afraid it will chip off as soon as I unscrew/rescrew the bolt.

Anyone else have faced this problem ?

Maybe frames are made for couple of money, but i've paid 3000€+ for the frameset..

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
That bolt is fine. It's just the way it is made that leaves these chips behind. Nothing to worry about.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 13:03 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
That bolt is fine. It's just the way it is made that leaves these chips behind. Nothing to worry about.

I'm not worried about the bolt Wink
But way more about that paint around the bolts that just ask to leave the danse floor as soon as i will unscrew them !

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 13:34 Quote
Only you can decide if you’re happy with the finish- if you’re not then return it.

Transition paint/finish is not the best, but it’ll still be an awesome bike and it will soon be covered in other marks and scratches anyway.

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 15:21 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
Yeah the bolts on my Sentinel were like that also.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 15:52 Quote
KoalaDesBois wrote:
pyromaniac wrote:

I'm not worried about the bolt Wink
But way more about that paint around the bolts that just ask to leave the danse floor as soon as i will unscrew them !

Try cutting around the heads with an xacto knife / razor to (hopefully) save some of the surrounding paint before you remove em

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 17:29 Quote
I LOVE my Patrol and Spur, but both of .one have paint issues as well. It is what it is, unfortunately.

Given the price of these bike though, frames that retail for thousands of dollars, I definitely think people are justified in expecting better.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 23:07 Quote
Yeah...look at the frame in anger and the paint chips off I think. It’s the only bad thing about it. Invisiframe is a must-do. You will find little white bits soon when you start riding. Ideally Transition would send a little touch-up paint (that you can buy anyway, just not in U.K. yet).
Compared to a Santa Cruz or Yeti, as an example, the paint quality is much inferior, made worse by the lack of lacquer finish.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 6:54 Quote
I've had my smuggler for two full seasons now and have zero paint chips...because I installed invisiframe before riding it. Def worth the cost. Ridewrap here in north America is a suitable option too. Or wrap the high impact areas like chainstay and downtube yourself with clear 3M tape and soapy water. It's a no brainer.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 11:22 Quote
I've had lots of Transitions. I've still got a patrol and a TR500 and they ride great. I think there is a bit of blind faith in product loyalty and we are all guilty of it. I've also had cracks in 6 patrol frame pieces and currently have a cracked tr500. One replacement chain stay for the patrol didn't even fit due to quality control issues. The bikes we love come out of a'reasonable priced' factory, and so do come with the occasional issue. It's the way it is.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016466
Mobile Version of Website