Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Giant trance custom build = What fork and shock?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Giant trance custom build = What fork and shock?
O+
Posted: Dec 12, 2014 at 16:16 Quote
kayakosaeki66 wrote:
Giladgu wrote:
kayakosaeki66 wrote:

funny you mention the xfusion velvet as i seen one on an online store that deal in used parts and i think it was about 250. it sold now like but it just shows how far money can stretch for forks and as for fox forks after 2013 i can't seem to get any to fit my frame as they are mainly tapered and 1.5's (from what i have seen anyway) so i guess the incompatibility was a blessing in disguise. Smile
what size is your headtube
i think thats reffereng to the leingth, and i cant find what the diameter is, check whats on the SID and then ull know

according to giant's website since my frame is a medium it says my headtube is 145mm here is the link to the geometry: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/mountain/2334/32056/#geometry

Posted: Dec 12, 2014 at 16:58 Quote
Didnt look tapered in the photo so prolly 1 1/8. Dont think overdrive out yet.

Posted: Dec 12, 2014 at 19:39 Quote
madcracker79 wrote:
Didnt look tapered in the photo so prolly 1 1/8. Dont think overdrive out yet.

ah my bad it's a 1 and 1 8th headtube and takes semi integrated headsets, i heard the overdrive thing doesn't allow you to put different stems on from a video on youtube i watched recently but this isn't the cas as i have had a stem on the frame/fork which isn't giant's own so it can't be the over drive system (whatever that is)

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 5:54 Quote
you have a 44mm head tube as i recall i am sure i have seen a headset that allows the fitment of a tapered fork somewhere

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 5:59 Quote
this should be the ticket, for the lower cup at least
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-pick-n-mix-headsets-bottom-cup/rp-prod70727

ec44/40 type H 1.5"

overdrive is giants own taper steerer 1.5" lower and 1.25" top

Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 12:08 Quote
demo8dave wrote:
this should be the ticket, for the lower cup at least
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-pick-n-mix-headsets-bottom-cup/rp-prod70727

ec44/40 type H 1.5"

overdrive is giants own taper steerer 1.5" lower and 1.25" top
it's confusing but no, Overdrive is standard taper, Overdrive2 steerer is 1.5-1.25".

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 6:15 Quote
My frame has a 1 and 1 8th head tube, i have 1 and 1 8th semi integrated cups installed in the frame, i think it might of been the model after mine that came with the overdrive head tube, at least that's what i think after seeing this Giant trance frame for sale on flat out cycles: http://flatoutcycles.co.uk/giant-trance-x-19-5-frame-inc-giant-a-r-air-shock-34483 which i think was a 2010/2011 model? Mine is a 2007/2008 i think. but yeah this frame on flat out has an overdrive headtube and mine is a straight 1 and 1 8th (i was confused at first from looking at the pic of my frame on ebay.)

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 6:32 Quote
I believe Giant Trance 26"ers used an odd shock size. Like 7.25" eye to eye with a 1.75" or 2" stroke. I would look for a rear shock available in that size before simply seeking out whatever the latest, greatest, most PB approved Enduro shock is...

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 10:01 Quote
lccomz wrote:
I believe Giant Trance 26"ers used an odd shock size. Like 7.25" eye to eye with a 1.75" or 2" stroke. I would look for a rear shock available in that size before simply seeking out whatever the latest, greatest, most PB approved Enduro shock is...

yeah i think they use 185 x 50mm shocks so i've been looking at the closest measurement shocks i could find which are 190 x 52mm which may ruin the geometry a bit unless i get a fork that'll even it out more, i've been looking at 140mm fox 32 forks and rockshox sektor rl u turn forks 120 - 150.

and i don't need "the latest and greatest" if it has lock out then that's good enough for me if not then it's not a problem. as long as it works then thats good enough for me...

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 11:10 Quote
I had a set of Rev's on mine, exactly the same frame as you have. Tried them at 130mm and it was great. Took the spacer out and ran them at 150mm and it was shit. I found that it upset the balance of the bike, so I put them back to 130mm.

Mine came with an rp23 which did the job nicely.

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 11:16 Quote
If you looking a fork in that travel take a look at a 34 or something like that. I believe older 36 can be found really cheap and they are bombproof just lower it (I'm biased to beefy forks)

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 14:15 Quote
kudos100 wrote:
I had a set of Rev's on mine, exactly the same frame as you have. Tried them at 130mm and it was great. Took the spacer out and ran them at 150mm and it was shit. I found that it upset the balance of the bike, so I put them back to 130mm.

Mine came with an rp23 which did the job nicely.

i haven't got revs, man. i was looking at revs on flatout cycles. they were going for 225 like so if they ran rubbish at 150 then i doubt i'll get them as they are priced dearer than a lot of fox 32's i've seen on ebay. i have a sid rl ti on my xtc hardtail and i'd put them on it as a temporary fix but they're an inch less travel than the trance is suited for.

i think i'll just go for 120mm forks preferably fox 32 rl's as that is the travel forks giant put on my model frame.

as for the shock if i can't find a 185 shock for it i'll try putting a 190mm shock on instead.

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 14:17 Quote
its-chris wrote:
If you looking a fork in that travel take a look at a 34 or something like that. I believe older 36 can be found really cheap and they are bombproof just lower it (I'm biased to beefy forks)

34's are a little on the pricey side considering my budget but i'll look them up, cheers Smile

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 15:09 Quote
kayakosaeki66 wrote:
lccomz wrote:

yeah i think they use 185 x 50mm shocks so i've been looking at the closest measurement shocks i could find which are 190 x 52mm which may ruin the geometry a bit unless i get a fork that'll even it out more, i've been looking at 140mm fox 32 forks and rockshox sektor rl u turn forks 120 - 150.

and i don't need "the latest and greatest" if it has lock out then that's good enough for me if not then it's not a problem. as long as it works then thats good enough for me...

184 x 44, or 7.25 x 1.75

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 15:11 Quote
bigquotesi think i'll just go for 120mm forks preferably fox 32 rl's as that is the travel forks giant put on my model frame.

Rev's are stiffer than 32's, but both would be fine. Pike is also an option if you can find one cheap.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013562
Mobile Version of Website