lowering the bottom bracket on a jekyll

PB Forum :: Cannondale
lowering the bottom bracket on a jekyll
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Dec 28, 2014 at 21:24 Quote
Those who have jekyll's will have noticed that the bottom bracket is not the lowest around and that it could cope with being a little bit slacker.

My question, has anyone made a lowering link that sits below the rear shock and between the frame? As this piece always sits in tension, it really doesn't need to be stable.

I'm thinking you could lower the bottom bracket by an inch without having to run a higher sag... Lower, slacker and better.

If such a thing does not exist, I will machine one up and have a go.

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2015 at 23:42 Quote
Settled so far on some eccentric bushes and an angle set. 1 deg from the head set, 1 from the bushes and 15mm lower bottom bracket.

Lower, longer and slacker... Can't wait to ride it.

Posted: Dec 19, 2015 at 6:48 Quote
MrZ32 wrote:
Settled so far on some eccentric bushes and an angle set. 1 deg from the head set, 1 from the bushes and 15mm lower bottom bracket.

Lower, longer and slacker... Can't wait to ride it.

How do you like it then? I tried eccentric on a 26" jekyll but I found out the rear tire (2.25 ardent) would scrape the seat tube when bottoming out the shock...

Posted: Dec 19, 2015 at 16:45 Quote
Also interested to hear!

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2015 at 18:31 Quote
Ride report: bike is so much more playful, way better planted in the corners... slight loss of climbing ability (but that is what the climb switch is for, it had less of an effect in climbing than the 50mm stem did though). The bike finally feels natural though, the way it should have felt from the start.

I think other than ugrading from fox 32's, the offset bushes are the best upgrade available (and I have done a lot), especially when you consider how cheap they are (60 aud delivered from the uk).

As for a clash check, the below photo is at full extension with a hans damph 2.35 on the back (massive) and a 2.5 Minion on the front.. no clash.
photo

Posted: Dec 21, 2015 at 0:34 Quote
Those were also my feelings... unfortunately on my 26" I have to little clearance so I'm stuck with "only" -1° angleset and eccentric bottom bracket Smile

Posted: Dec 25, 2015 at 10:40 Quote
Is your headset not Cannondale's System Integration? I've wanted to go the Angleset route but the SI on 2015s doesn't allow for that.

Also, can you post a close-up of the bushings? And the part #? I might be interested in throwing some on mine.

Posted: Dec 25, 2015 at 10:59 Quote
eicca wrote:
Is your headset not Cannondale's System Integration? I've wanted to go the Angleset route but the SI on 2015s doesn't allow for that.

Also, can you post a close-up of the bushings?

Yes, standard cannondale SI headset. Nobody makes anglesets for them, I made it myself. There's little space in that headset size but it can be made to work Wink I've been using it for a while whitout issues.

Pictures were taken when I had both angleset and shock bushes:

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Dec 25, 2015 at 11:23 Quote
Color me impressed. Could you detail how you made the Angleset?

Posted: Dec 25, 2015 at 11:38 Quote
eicca wrote:

http://www.ofanaim.net/has.html

Posted: Dec 25, 2015 at 11:44 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
eicca wrote:

Thanks. Is there a specific section for the SI angleset?

Posted: Dec 25, 2015 at 13:07 Quote
No, it was just to help you gain a basic understanding of what's involved.

Posted: Dec 25, 2015 at 14:26 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:

Gotcha. Would you be willing to manufacture another one?

Posted: Dec 26, 2015 at 8:12 Quote
Did you machine the eccentric bushings yourself? If you did what material did you use? Delrin? Thanks!

Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 8:34 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
eicca wrote:

That's how it works generally. The SI headset is a bit trickier... that's why there aren't anglesets manifactured for them, along with the fact they aren't widespread.

eicca wrote:
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:

Gotcha. Would you be willing to manufacture another one?

I guess I could make a small batch sometime next month if there is enough request...

Deadskittles wrote:
Did you machine the eccentric bushings yourself? If you did what material did you use? Delrin? Thanks!

7000-series aluminium would be best for weight and strenght... delrin definetly not.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018887
Mobile Version of Website