Shimano Saint M820 lever leaking!?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Shimano Saint M820 lever leaking!?
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 7, 2015 at 15:02 Quote
Back to where you bought them from, although if where you bought them from isn't a large and reputable company then chances are they won't be able to help and you'll have to buy a new set. Shimano are no help. Best of luck!

Posted: Sep 10, 2015 at 1:19 Quote
Cheers Tangelo for that link!
Found this on there posted by Dr Wankel;
"The correct fix is actually pretty easy and it doesn't involve running all over the place to find a small screw that fits the hole in the cap. I had this happen to me twice, the first time Shimano replaced the brake because they were only a few months old, then I had the same thing happen this spring when I was bleeding the brakes so I called Shimano and got a guys on the phone that knew exactly how to fix the issue correctly.

There is a small rubber diaphragm that snaps over the the inside of the cap. If you bleed the brakes and end up getting too much fluid in the system the first few times you pull the lever good and hard the excessive pressure will force some of the fluid around the rubber diaphragm and you will then get the leakage out of the hole in the cap when you squeeze the brake lever. Along with that the leaver action feels like crap and isn't solid because the system no longer has enough oil.

In order to fix the issue you need to take the brake lever off the bar, when you open up the clamp on the brake flip it all the way open and look for a small set screw down in the hinge area of the brake. That set screw is what holds the reservoir cap in place, remove the set screw completely and then thread it into the hole in the outside of the cap. You can then use your allen key in the set screw to gently wiggle the cap out of the reservoir. Pay attention to the direction of the rubber diaphragm as you pull the cap and diaphragm out as the diaphragm is about 1" long and fits up into the reservoir cavity, one side is flatted and needs to insert into the reservoir correctly. Anyway pull the cap/diaphragm out, pop the diaphragm off of the cap, clean all the oil out of the inside of the diaphragm, re-install it back on the cap and them put the whole thing back into the lever and then re-bleed your brake and you should be good to go.

If you just bled your brakes prior to this issue occurring you should only need to re-bleed the the lever assembly without needing to go back through the entire process of bleeding the caliper."

Posted: Jan 15, 2016 at 7:52 Quote
This is great thanks. Really helped. Although it is very sensitive . I need to get out of the habit of adding that bit extra into the system

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2016 at 0:13 Quote
Thanks for the tip. Saints feel factory fresh again!

Posted: Jan 16, 2016 at 1:55 Quote

Hey man, thanks for the link. Brakes leaking instructions are helped me fixed easily indeed.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 19:14 Quote
benwearsahat wrote:
"The correct fix is actually pretty easy and it doesn't involve running all over the place to find a small screw that fits the hole in the cap. I had this happen to me twice, the first time Shimano replaced the brake because they were only a few months old, then I had the same thing happen this spring when I was bleeding the brakes so I called Shimano and got a guys on the phone that knew exactly how to fix the issue correctly.

There is a small rubber diaphragm that snaps over the the inside of the cap. If you bleed the brakes and end up getting too much fluid in the system the first few times you pull the lever good and hard the excessive pressure will force some of the fluid around the rubber diaphragm and you will then get the leakage out of the hole in the cap when you squeeze the brake lever. Along with that the leaver action feels like crap and isn't solid because the system no longer has enough oil.

In order to fix the issue you need to take the brake lever off the bar, when you open up the clamp on the brake flip it all the way open and look for a small set screw down in the hinge area of the brake. That set screw is what holds the reservoir cap in place, remove the set screw completely and then thread it into the hole in the outside of the cap. You can then use your allen key in the set screw to gently wiggle the cap out of the reservoir. Pay attention to the direction of the rubber diaphragm as you pull the cap and diaphragm out as the diaphragm is about 1" long and fits up into the reservoir cavity, one side is flatted and needs to insert into the reservoir correctly. Anyway pull the cap/diaphragm out, pop the diaphragm off of the cap, clean all the oil out of the inside of the diaphragm, re-install it back on the cap and them put the whole thing back into the lever and then re-bleed your brake and you should be good to go.

If you just bled your brakes prior to this issue occurring you should only need to re-bleed the the lever assembly without needing to go back through the entire process of bleeding the caliper."

hello
sorry for the silly question, i only need to clean the diaphragm? it is easy to do?
cheers

O+
Posted: May 25, 2021 at 10:58 Quote
Does anyone know which way the diaphram goes back in. I have removed it and did not pay attention to which way it went?
benwearsahat wrote:

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 22:46 Quote
You just need to look for the little indent created by the little 2mm bolt that presses against the diaphram's plastic edge. Line it up with where the bolt will protrude into the reservoir and you will be fine.

watto77 wrote:
Does anyone know which way the diaphram goes back in. I have removed it and did not pay attention to which way it went?
benwearsahat wrote:

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015038
Mobile Version of Website