POD Suggestions *PLEASE READ FIRST PAGE FOR RULES*

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
POD Suggestions *PLEASE READ FIRST PAGE FOR RULES*
Posted: Nov 14, 2016 at 12:15 Quote
Please give me feedback on these pictures.

photo

photo

Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 9:57 Quote
Golden hour at Bartlett. Shot by my wife.

POD SUBMISSION MOAB

Golden hour in Bartlett Wash area in Moab last Friday 11/11/2016. More about the landscape than the riding. Shot by my wife, and she would like feedback please.

Rider is me, Bobby Bassett

@mattwragg

Posted: Nov 22, 2016 at 4:26 Quote
Hello, here is my suggestion. Feedback is welcome, thank you
Misty trails

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 3:04 Quote
Hi! I've got 2 suggestions for Chrismas/New Year's Eve. Feedback is welcome Smile

Bunny barspin inside the christmas bauble https www.facebook.com AdamParuchPL https www.facebook.com pawelstachak

Wish you all the best in 2016 https www.facebook.com AdamParuchPL https www.facebook.com pawelstachak

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2016 at 13:03 Quote
photo
any feedback welcome ;-)

Posted: Nov 29, 2016 at 3:48 Quote
Scrubbing the classic drop. Style
  Scrubbing the classic drop. Style

Posted: Nov 30, 2016 at 11:46 Quote
Hi Matt,

I would love feedback for these photos. I learned from last time and have stopped messing with the aspect raito!

photo

Floating through the redwoods.

Thanks for your time,

Ryan

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2016 at 2:43 Quote
Christ, there's a lot to go through here, so here is the first batch of feedback. More to come.

@SamJT I like this shit, nice use of thirds and then the vertical lines of the trees, but I would file it in the solid, not the spectacular column.

@chrismcfarland I quite like the pan, it's pretty well exectued and I'm generallya sucker for wider-angle pans. The second shot doesn't really work for me - for a start the front wheel is out the edge of the frame and the rider appears both the be out of focus and soft because the shutter speed is too slow. The processing is also rather shadow-heavy. I like the light and the colours in the third frame, it's a lovely, bright shot. I do think the composition is a little sloppy though - the trailer/bus/whatever it is creeping in on the right of the frame bugs me and I think it would have been a better shot maybe a step back and five degrees to the right, which would pull the trailer out, add a little more of the takeoff and move the rider closer to the third line, which I think might give the frame a better balance.

@cagreenwood The first shot doesn't work for me. I like the idea of getting the barbeque into the frame, but as it is, it is just an annoying orange shape in the corner of the frame. I think the framing of the tree is overbearing and the rider doesn't really stand out in the frame - if you squint at the shot, the only shape you see is the sky. I think I made the second shot POD, didn't I? I really like the close crop and the massive splash of colour from the helmet.

@TombPhoto This is very close. Good action good, good light, a nice little bit of dust and the rider pops nicely. Just the verticals let you down here - the whole shot needs straightening up a few degrees.

@Dan-Struthers-Photography This is too tight for my taste - the riders feel too cramped in the frame - a wider take on this would give the elements room to breathe. I also think it is severely lacking trail - for my money, this kind of shot doesn't work without a good, defined trail running through the frame.

@TombPhoto I like this one less. It's a good idea, but overall the frame is too dark and there is far too much spill light - for something like this to work you need to get into modifiers, I suspect.

@lukejarmey This is decent - good thinking. Rider on the thirds, trail and a view. However the overall combination is not quite right here. The trail is a little bit too up and down in the frame, it really needs to run across instead and I can't help feeling we should see more of the pretty valley to the left rather than the boring hill to the right.

@pinkat13 For all my talk about thirds, I love how this completely ignores that. It is a very nicely balanced frame with a definite trajectory for the rider and lovely light and colours. I can't quite make my mind up as to whether this is a POD or not, it's certainly close, but, actually, yeah...

@Niall-Read This is a decent shot - the rider is well-positioned, it's well-exposed and I like the way you have used the tree, it's a lovely shape. However, I cannot quite forgive that tape in the centre of the frame. I know it's a fact of race photography, but it really detracts from all your good work here.

@mossa The first shot is nice and crisp, with good colours, but for my money it's a little bit too tight, there's just a bit too much distortion on the rider and bike - look at the comparative wheel sizes. The second is nice, I don't know about POD, but good work - there is a nice sense of trajectory to the shot, a clear line of trail, coupled with a great backdrop.

@TheFlyingYorkshiremen Well I made this POD, so do I need to say much more? This is one of the better uses of smoke bombs I have seen - as I have told several people, it needs to be a good frame without the bomb and this is. Good colours, good action, and a nicely balanced frame. The smoke just adds an extra, interesting element but doesn't take attention away from the riding.

@aliclarkson Has this been cropped, it seems like a weird aspect ratio to me? There effort here is good, but it doesn't quite work for me - with the aspect ratio the shot feels a little cramped on the horizontal, the rail blocking the light is kinda frustrating and the action, to me, just leaves me cold, it feels very contrived. Hats off for doing this as a self-timed shot though, fair play.

@thrilledoflife Great backdrops, as always. The first shot doesn't really have a line of the trail running through the shot and I kinda feel like the way it looks it would have worked better like the second shot with the riders closer to the camera - as it is they are kind of disconnected shapes on the mountainside. The second is just kinda awkward, both in terms of the trail and the action. Also, you have changed the aspect ratio in these shots, which is something that I cannot stand.

@satchscratch Well I made the first a POD, so yeah, it's lovely. However, I would say that the action feels a little bit contrived - which is something I have seen in a few of your shots - maybe think about getting back to basics with your riders? It didn't need a wheelie here, in fact, good, basic riding might have been even better. The second doesn't really work for me. Technically it's solid enough, but the action is too late in the jump - really needs it needs to be in the launch/apex phase of the jump, I think - having the rider looking down like that is kinda odd and takes away from the dynamism. Also, with a messy foreground like that, could you go slower on the shutter to reduce the definite shapes suurounding the action?

@Kikamble For a starter, I would not even consider this shot for POD with that gigantic, ugly watermark and the altered aspect ratio. And it's not even uploaded to Pinkbike - what was the point of posting here if you're not uploading to PB? The shot itself is ok, nothing particularly new, but fairly well exectued, if a little harsh on the light and the spill light on the floor does pull your eye away from the action.

@Bradandrew For me the first one doesn't quite work - the rider isn't lit enough and therefore doesn't pop out of the scene. I really like the second shot, although while I take my hat off to you for your restraint with the lighting, I actually think you could do with turning up the power on the speedlight a little bit as the rider doesn't quite pop as much I'd like him to. Also, you should think about modifying the strobe as the spill light on the tree behind the rider is slightly distracting. Overall though, good show, I'm gonna say POD.

@ralbisurez This doesn't really work for me. First off it's too central and I think for this kind of shot that was never going to work, although I do like the dark trees framing the shot. With the fog the rider is not clear enough and doesn't stand out in the frame.

@KVaS The first shot is a good idea, but the execution lets you down - there is not really enough trail in the shot and my eye is drawn to the tree rather than the rider. Also, the stray branches above the rider are messy and distract from the frame. I have to say that I don't really understand why your second shot is posted here, it sucks for your buddy, but it's not a particularly interesting photo.

@idontknowenduro I'm not sure what to make of these shot - the moments are good, but I can't even work out of they are in focus even and the framing seems to be lazy to me.
@MckagueJack This is an ok shot , the actin is good, the position of the rider in the frame is reasonable, but the shutter is too slow, the shot is too dark and there is nothing particularly exciting about this as photo, there is no real attempt at framing I can see.

@mesickc For me, the first shot doesn't work. The rider is far too dark in comparison to the bike and I can't quite work out what is going on with the settings - it's a decent, fast shutter, but the background looks like you've strobed the rider in a fake-pan. Overall this kind of composition is kind of out of date and doesn't really do anything for me. For the second shot, 1/50 is far too fast a shutter for a pan, in my book - if it's not 1/30 or below you are blowing it. Again, the all-black rider doesn't help your cause and the framing is too tight really.

@Powtin I really like a lot about the first shot, but the riders are just too central, in my opinion. If they were somewhere on the third line, you have all the elements of a POD here. The second shot is an ok B-roll shot and third doesn't really work for me at all. I like that you tried to use the foreground, but here it's just messy and sits awkwardly in the frame - I can see what you're getting at with this shot, but the approach hasn't paid off here, I'm afraid.

@foreverforum260 The first shot doesn't really work for me at all - I'm not a huge fan of ass shots, even if having a rider as foreground is a good idea. The main rider doesn't stand out, isn't in a good place in the frame and your shutter speed is far too slow - you need to really be at a minimum of 1/1000 for action. The second is a better compostion, but again it's an ass shot and the shutter is miles too slow - look how blurry the rider is.

@ralbisurez This is a better shot. The rider is well placed in the frame, the light and the processing is good and the framing is well done. Nice one. For the pan, 1/80 is far too fast, I'm afraid.

@schvenn I can't really tell if the rider is sharp in the first shot, but the processing is decent, if a touch too heavy. However, it needs to be wider to give a better sense of surrounding - as feels like you couldn't quite decided whether to go super-tight or pull back and so the hint of landing is just frustrating (I would suggest going tighter here would be the wrong way to go). The second is pretty decent - good foreground, rider well placed in the frame, good light and good action.

@Mephy Aside from me not wanting to see a bunch of men's asses, this is a solid storytelling shot, that would be a good addition to any race report.

@Dan-Struthers-Photography This is a solid idea, but the silhouette of the rider is not really strong enough to carry this shot - and having the rider next to the tree doesn't help either. Overall while the thought behind the shot is good, I don't think you have quite the right spot to pull this off.

@tombikess The first shot either needs to be a lot tighter, or have a lot more Rachel in it. The second is ok, the rider is in a good position in the frame, but it feels like you haven't put much effort in trying to frame this.

@fraser-14 As far as I can tell here you have simply stood trackside and pressed the buttons, I can't see any attempt to frame the shot and you haven't even made the effort not to have a Go Pro in the middle of the shot. The second one looks like you have put some more effort into it, but it's still nothing to write home about. The final shot has barely even got the rider in the frame, I honestly don't understand what you were trying to achieve here.

@ithomas The first frame is well-timed and getting the rider silhouetted like that is good, but the composition is messy, full of random objects which pull your eyes all over the place. The second two are too tight - the action is not strong enough to go as tight as you have and there is no sense of place or setting.

@sixwalls I have seen a number of shots like this in the last couple of years, and they have potential to be stunning, but yours doesn't work, I'm afraid. The light has only lit half the frame, the processing is flat and on the whol the outcome is uninspiring.

@Transmission Why the hell have you Photoshopped a plane into a riding photo? Why?

@Prophet-eer The first photo is far too dark, the riders don't pop out of the frame. You also need to work on framing the action - at the moment it is simply someone standing beside a bridge, not working to find an angle. The whole jumping out of a bush doesn't work for me at all. The rider isn't even slightly sharp in the third shot.

@cagreenwood Casey is nice and sharp in this frame, but I don't think having a second rider in frame works at all here. I suspect having the other rider in focus would have worked better. The second shot is ok, it's unusal to see a pan that slow head-on, but I'm not sure it really works.

@CoffeeHouseMedia The first shot is a good, solid shot - textbook composition, decent action and well exposed and processed. I don't get the second though - I don't see what the smoke bomb added to this shot. I think you need to go back to the drawing board with the angle here - this gives no feel for the magnitude of the jump.

@BBen30 The rider is nicely exposed in the first shot, but the spill light is killing you here - the wall alongside the rider is probably ok, but the big bright spot in the bottom left is not good. If you hide the bright spot it is ok, but the big, messy wall then does start to detract from the frame. In terms of lighting, this a good start, but mixing lights and composition is no small feat. For me the second one doesn't work at all, it just feels weird, sorry, I think the angle was not the right call.

@danasince1979 I was going to say this was a decent enough shot, then I saw that it was done with a camera phone, so fair play! POD.

Posted: Dec 6, 2016 at 6:18 Quote
Matt, thanks for your feedback! Smile

Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 12:15 Quote
Hey Matt

Here is two shot I got from a sunset fall session at my jumps in my town. I'm the rider on those pics, and I was working on those shots with Lucas Vuitel, a Swiss photographer.

Just a second before I broke my collarbone. I ll be back soon Rider Malik Jeannet malikjeannet Photo Lucas Vuitel lucasvuitel.ch

Nose 3 during a nice winter sunset at home. Rider Malik Jeannet malikjeannet Photo Lucas Vuitel lucasvuitel.ch

Hope you will like them! Malik

Posted: Dec 10, 2016 at 8:04 Quote
photo

Hi Matt,
I took this shot a while ago but thought it might be POD worthy? If not, whatever, but I'd like feedback. I'm trying to work on my photography skills.
Thank you
Dakota

Posted: Dec 12, 2016 at 12:58 Quote
photo

A shot I took at night on a new section of local trail. I always enjoy getting out and shooting with my riding buddies.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Posted: Dec 12, 2016 at 21:00 Quote
Hi Matt.. this is some photos of ..Sam Reynolds, Alex Fayolle and Fabien Fabien Cousinié shred in Bali.
feedback for sure...

Thanks Matt

Polygonbikes BaliBikePark

photo

Posted: Dec 13, 2016 at 8:26 Quote
Thanks for the feedback Matt and the POD. Still pretty new to the MTB photo scene so this is a great way to learn having a venue to put it out there and let it be judged and then adapt in the field. I appreciate your advice. Cheers!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027156
Mobile Version of Website