Body weight and racing

• Previous Page
Posted: Feb 19, 2015 at 2:48 Quote
hi guys and girls

i am a 18 year old male who weights 60 kg and 61kg with gear on (71kg with bike) and 5'9 ft tall

i ride a trek slash 7 2014 edition (2x10) and i set it up to 150 psi in front suspension (recommended pressure was 55 psi)
and 200 psi in the rear (recommended pressure was 150 psi) i am a play full rider and i am looking forward my first enduro race this year, training hard and effective.
i train with XC riders and am able to keep it up with my 160 mm and 13.5 kg bike (with pedals)

q: should i gain weight for my suspension ?
is weight important when it comes to racing (more better)

i have a pike and a fox DHCT or DHVT ( the one developed for the trek slash class

Posted: Feb 19, 2015 at 11:41 Quote
Why are you using much higher than recommended pressures F&R? Is that based on sag, or how it feels on the trail?
What fork do you have? Some Fox forks changed for 2014 and use much higher pressures than 2013.

Posted: Feb 19, 2015 at 12:19 Quote
First thing is that you seem to be running very high pressures like has been said. I am about 86kg. On my 2014 rallon with about 70psi in front (fox 34) and about 190psi rear (fox) to get about 25% sag.
One of the guys has a pike and runs it at about 60 or 70 psi i think and he is a little heavier than you.
Second thing is you ask about weight, is it you think it'll help with suspension or for more power and strength for racing.......

Posted: Feb 19, 2015 at 15:40 Quote
Is this a joke?

Just lower your air pressure.

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 at 10:45 Quote
brianl wrote:
Why are you using much higher than recommended pressures F&R? Is that based on sag, or how it feels on the trail?
What fork do you have? Some Fox forks changed for 2014 and use much higher pressures than 2013.

it's based on the feeling on the trails
i have a pike rct
160mm

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 at 10:47 Quote
jonb71 wrote:
First thing is that you seem to be running very high pressures like has been said. I am about 86kg. On my 2014 rallon with about 70psi in front (fox 34) and about 190psi rear (fox) to get about 25% sag.
One of the guys has a pike and runs it at about 60 or 70 psi i think and he is a little heavier than you.
Second thing is you ask about weight, is it you think it'll help with suspension or for more power and strength for racing.......

yes i am a bit conserned about my weight thought my question is
if it's bad for my suspension running with very high presure with my weight
and if i could improve the performance of my suspeniosn by geting heavier plus, if more weight is better for enduro racing

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 at 10:47 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
Is this a joke?

Just lower your air pressure.

for ?

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 at 11:35 Quote
Because you are not using your suspension how it was designed. Your air pressure should be set so that you use up 25-30% of the total length of the suspension, just sitting on the bike. This is called setting sag. Google it for more information.

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 at 11:36 Quote
I know some guys that race set up their bikes fairly stiff. Are you getting about 25% sag f +r? Are you using most of the travel?
If you build strength and power some weight will follow. Lighter is usually easier to get back to the top.

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 at 12:07 Quote
Just run lower pressures....

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 at 12:30 Quote
Maybe he likes only getting 50mm of travel, ha.

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 at 12:35 Quote
Get a lowered fork...

FL
Posted: Feb 23, 2015 at 8:07 Quote
Not sure where weight is coming into this but surely if you are fit/strong enough weight shouldn't be a problem? I'm about 65kg and my pikes are 60psi and 1 token. If I had hem at your pressures I might as well ride rigid!

Posted: Feb 23, 2015 at 11:08 Quote
well i often use 50% on my trails on my pike
but i bottom out in the rear ( i am very technical rider and i push on every chance)

i mean, where i live, the trails are build for crazy poeple
(30 sec descent with rocks and roots like a DH track but all pushed together in 30 sec of pure fun followed by a 90° turn and heavy climbing)

i ride those trails fro training ( more endurance better chances for a win, right ?)

plus, i am not very into lower forks, i like it stiff for those big drops and hits on my home trails

i have installed 1 tocken and released a lot of air ( running 70 psi now)
it feels a bit soft but still stiff enough to push

Posted: Feb 23, 2015 at 12:27 Quote
davidpr2 wrote:
well i often use 50% on my trails on my pike
but i bottom out in the rear ( i am very technical rider and i push on every chance)

i mean, where i live, the trails are build for crazy poeple
(30 sec descent with rocks and roots like a DH track but all pushed together in 30 sec of pure fun followed by a 90° turn and heavy climbing)

i ride those trails fro training ( more endurance better chances for a win, right ?)

plus, i am not very into lower forks, i like it stiff for those big drops and hits on my home trails

i have installed 1 tocken and released a lot of air ( running 70 psi now)
it feels a bit soft but still stiff enough to push
200psi in the rear shock is well within specs, so you could increase it (or decrease the volume) if you're bottoming it easily.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010658
Mobile Version of Website