Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 21:35 Quote
Sounds like you two need to go ride a few stiff poles...

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 22:30 Quote
NachoManRandySalad wrote:

Ohhhhh yeahhhhh! I've been in the danger zone.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 10:41 Quote

No thanks, not into my bike breaking on a 2' drop.

Let's hear some others chime in... Does anyone else really care about a few pounds on a DH specific bike? (Buick)

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 12:13 Quote
ridayobike wrote:

No thanks, not into my bike breaking on a 2' drop.

Let's hear some others chime in... Does anyone else really care about a few pounds on a DH specific bike? (Buick)

I’m not an expert but I did just watch a review by the loam ranger of the commencal ebike and they were surprised to find the weight to be not that detrimental, and in some cases a benefit to riding. In fact they suggested it was going to change the way they look at weight on their regular bikes. The placement of the weight is important and, on an e bike, the extra weight is low and centred so it will make far less difference to aerial maneuverability and flickability than if the extra weight were distributed more evenly across the bike the way it would be in a burly Dh bike or a dirt bike. Finally, as Xb suggested, if skinny dudes are throwing whips and off axis spins on dirt bikes, I don’t know how much the extra weight of an ebike will hinder the straight airs us overweight middle aged dudes are capable of. Personally, I figure my riding would benefit more if I dropped the pounds off my ass than off my bike.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 16:31 Quote
Don’t settle for what the man is offering. Make them build it lighter and better. That and opinions of pros who’s lively hood is reliant on bikes being sold will say anything to keep the bikes moving. Don’t follow, lead.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 18:13 Quote
It's the pro's and the bike industry that are telling you to buy light parts and bikes man, your statement lacks reason.

Pretty much 70% of parts on a MTB you pay high cost for less weight, with like 0% performance advantage to said part... With the 30% of the bike Being wheelsets and suspension being only real performance advantage for dollar spent.

As PooNinja points out who actually looked at the topic in a thoughtful manner, not just spewing 1% biker budget non-sense.... He analyzed the actual riding effect and on trail performance of a heavier vs lighter DH specific bike, rather than: I wanna waste my money because lighter is utter nonsense.

So for irrefutable anecdotal evidence from XB here we go: ... 10-15 years ago bikes in my correct opinion were much more maneuverable. Geometry numbers were much tighter and bikes were 43lbs for a desc FR/DH build... The bikes were still very nimble and seemed very easy to maneuver at the time. XB was 10-15 years younger and his BMI was much lower, and he was fitter and stronger for DH riding (but no XC). The bikes seemed very planted. All the Uber pimped light AM / long travel Enduro bikes that XB has ever owned seemed to ping of obstacles and be not nearly as planted to the Earth. Having descent or average upper body strength, XB has never had any problem throwing around any bike between the 26 lb 150mm bikes to the 50 lb DH bikes.

Being able to outmaneuver a 45 lb bike to the useless long, slack, light bikes of today simply reinforces the point that overall fitness, and low power to weight ratio matters way more than any light "pingy" DH bike.

Bikes of nowadays are not maneuverable at all, every review of the new bleeding edge geometry bikes say exactly that. They are good for going fast, and climbing (good at keeping front end down) and lack fun value, and maneuverability that you so crave.

The whole industry has turned full speed down the trail is all that matters, fun is rarely part of the equation. NEWS FLASH: We are not professional racers! Last time XB checked, we did this for fun... Check your priorities folks.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
No, I tell myself to build burly/light. 31-32lbs for long travel trail bikes and 36-37ish for 27.5 DH bikes. My Commie DH bike weighs over that and it hurts me a little inside when trying to carry speed through flatter sections. I’ve rode enough Buick’s over the years. Old Reign X2 and such. Never going back.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 18:48 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
No, I tell myself to build burly/light. 31-32lbs for long travel trail bikes and 36-37ish for 27.5 DH bikes. My Commie DH bike weighs over that and it hurts me a little inside when trying to carry speed through flatter sections. I’ve rode enough Buick’s over the years. Old Reign X2 and such. Never going back.

Holy your DH bike is 37 lbs.... Beater Tank! Invest in Carbon bro. Holy didn't know your bike was that tankish.... Unless your bike is sub 34 lbs, don't even look at the Super-bros in the lift line.

If you think 3-4 lbs is slowing you down in flatter sections of trail, placebo in full effect. Only single thing that will make a difference there is wheel size (but 29 sux so yah) and lighter rotating mass (light wheelsets) a lighter bike will make zero difference there. And obviously a light weight wheelsets won't hold up for Park.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 18:56 Quote
38 something to be exact. She’s portly. Should have went X2 instead of coil. Lol
Rider was down 10lbs for this season and it helped. However a light/burly ride is a good ride.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 18:57 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Rider was down 10lbs for this season and it helped. However a light/burly ride is a good ride.

Explain how light bike better for DH specific please.... :

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 19:04 Quote
f*ck both of you, take off the white sunglasses, vernon sucks.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 19:07 Quote
k-towntrailryder wrote:
f*ck both of you, take off the white sunglasses, vernon sucks.

You know what's up, 26" -4-Life and aluminum everything. How's Gillard looking for next year? Haven't been down there in a while, maybe next year's the year.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 19:45 Quote
Kelowna... the only city in BC where the trails were better 15 yrs ago.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022004
Mobile Version of Website