Best shoulder protection?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Best shoulder protection?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2015 at 13:41 Quote
I'm in the middle of recovering from a type 3 AC (clavicle) separation and I'm curious if there's anything out there that would be especially good at dispersing energy from hard shoulder hits/holding my shoulder together.

One of the only possible solutions I've found so far is the EVOC Protector Jacket. It looks interesting because 1)the padding covers the entire collar bone area, and 2)the shoulder pads look like they can be synched down tight for a bit of general compression. There are no reviews out there for this thing though, so I have no idea what it's like to wear.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://bikeboard.at/_uploads/_fotos/57593_787127.jpg

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2015 at 9:34 Quote
It looks really warm. It might not be very comfortable in the summer but other than that it with all that padding it appears to have on the shoulders and over the collar bone it should help protect your shoulder.

Posted: Mar 11, 2015 at 14:39 Quote
Pads won´t protect against this type of injury.
There are some kind of straps to stabilize the shoulder area available from some protection manufacturers (can´t remember who did them though).
I think this is your best bet aside from strengthening the whole area through extensive training, which abviously offers the most protection.

Other than that, due to their construction (floating shoulder pads), some MX-Chest protectors may offer what you are looking for because they disperse the energy through a wider area and actually can prevent the collarbone from making contact with the object itself.
Just some pad won´t do much. The collarbone is just a fragile little bitch Wink

Posted: Apr 24, 2017 at 9:00 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
Pads won´t protect against this type of injury.
There are some kind of straps to stabilize the shoulder area available from some protection manufacturers (can´t remember who did them though).
I think this is your best bet aside from strengthening the whole area through extensive training, which abviously offers the most protection.

Other than that, due to their construction (floating shoulder pads), some MX-Chest protectors may offer what you are looking for because they disperse the energy through a wider area and actually can prevent the collarbone from making contact with the object itself.
Just some pad won´t do much. The collarbone is just a fragile little bitch Wink

I'm looking at a few now myself because I separated my shoulder last year and on gnarlier trails its nice to wear. Have a random pressure suit but it is super bulky and will never wear it besides the occasional race. I know there is a material out there that is like putty (they have those commercial demonstrations) orange colored putty and once hit with a hammer or something is stiffens and disperses the energy to avoid impact points. Does anyone know of a couple pressure suits out there that covers the shoulder with some of this type of material!? Preferably a short sleeve version

Posted: Apr 24, 2017 at 9:31 Quote
Again, those are for abrasion mostly. They won't protect against most shoulder injuries. If you want shoulder protection it needs to cover a huuuge are (including shoulder blades and all that and it'll still fail to work in most cases.
They certainly won't do much to prevent a separated shoulder.

On topic of your question, Poc and Scott offer what you are looking for. As well as many others. Coverage however is minimalistic at best. The poc fits really nicely around the shoulder but on impact the foam caps just slide and just end up doing nothing.
The only instance i can see the shoulder padding being of any use is if you were to tackle a tree shoulders first, like they do in american football.
Speeking of which, there's a reason this sport with the huge money in it still uses those enormous shoulder paddings instead of wonderfoam.
Of course the extra protection certainly won't hurt you either, except for the huge increase in heat, just be sure you know what you actually can gain from it and whether it is worth it to you.

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 at 15:24 Quote
Hi, i had the same injury last year and got a Leatt shoulder brace from crc, I'm not sure how much protection this provided but it definatly made me feel a whole lot better while riding. It was much more heavy duty than my tld body armour and did hold the shoulder area together pretty well and since it just covered one shoulder wasn't hot to wear.

Would recommend even if just to help build confidence again.

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 10:54 Quote
Yea I know they won't do much but it'll help on most falls at least somewhat. I was considering one of the upper body suits that sometimes stuntmen wear that is has that material when hit hard it will stiffen but it is flexible when in normal conditions otherwise. Any pressure suits with that material anyone know of. I forget the name of the material though. Or if not that my other thought is lets say I fall on the same shoulder I separated. Wouldn't a plastic guard that is more likely to slide than stick in the ground, help me slide away from pushing more directly on my shoulder therefore relieving it from sticking in the ground..? I'm actually not a huge fan of the shoulder brace idea because it would make my shoulder weaker using it rather than strengthen it.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 8:35 Quote
Troy Lee Designs 5955 looks to offer good shoulder protection.

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 16:05 Quote
The shoulder brace won't make your shoulder weaker if you only wear it while on the bike, it would be to uncomfortable to wear it for much longer anyway. I would definately have preferred to have taken another fall with it on than not and has much more protection than my troy lees 7855 suit on the shoulder.
With it being a grade 3 separation your tendon isn't attached now anyway so your probably less likely to do more harm although it probably doesn't feel that way at the minute.

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 15:22 Quote
This looks like the most legit shoulder protection that i've seen so far, what do you guys think? I tried to order one today but they are sold out right now. The customer support agent said they don't have a firm date for restocking them yet, but they hope to have more by August 2019.

https://rxrprotect.com/en/shoulder-and-elbow-protection/12-880-shoulder-brace-shoulder-elbow-protection.html

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 16:44 Quote
Jage2 wrote:
This looks like the most legit shoulder protection that i've seen so far, what do you guys think? I tried to order one today but they are sold out right now. The customer support agent said they don't have a firm date for restocking them yet, but they hope to have more by August 2019.

https://rxrprotect.com/en/shoulder-and-elbow-protection/12-880-shoulder-brace-shoulder-elbow-protection.html

lol, that´s probably one of the dumbest things i´ve seen in a long time.
If you want real shoulder impact protection, go buy some footbal gear. That still won´t prevent a shoulder dislocation or similar injury from overextension though. This thing...is just ridiculous.

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 19:53 Quote
Jage2 wrote:

I think I'm going to start with the clearly custom made design that sells as a full upper body armor system for $100. Next I'll say that foam has got to be the chintziest thing I've seen in a long time. If you were starring in a weird sci-fi movie i think that armor would be appropriate.

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2020 at 22:27 Quote
Jage2 wrote:

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 22:18 Quote
I know I'm late to this, but you guys might want to check out G-Form. They have the impact gel you're talking about, and they do have an upper body athletic shirt covering the shoulders, solarplexius, and kidneys. If I designed it, it would cover more of the shoulders. But I have their butt pads, knee pads, and elbow pads. Under shirts and pants they work great! Worn as an outer layer... not so much. I separated my shoulder in a class 2 while skiing a couple years ago, so I know the fear of it happening again!
https://g-form.com/padded-compression-shirt

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013074
Mobile Version of Website