Transition patrol, kona process, or giant reign

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition patrol, kona process, or giant reign
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 5, 2015 at 1:39 Quote
I'm looking for an enduro bike and stuck between the patrol 2, process 153 and the reign 1. My budget is 5k. I know the reign 1 is 6k but I can get a deal on one. I like the patrol because it is my dream bike but the process is the least expensive at 3500. The reign I heard is a little sluggish on the climbs. Thanks for you help!

Posted: Apr 5, 2015 at 19:28 Quote
They're all good. I do not like the dual position fork that comes on the Reign or the orange and yellow paint.

Sounds like you answered your own question when you called the Patrol your dream bike.

Posted: Apr 6, 2015 at 10:11 Quote
Demo'd the Patrol and the Process, and the Process was head and shoulders above the Patrol for all around bike IMO. Totally bombing the downs with incredible confidence inspiring geometry and playfullness. I also really like how it pedals/climbs - but I've got some pretty good fitness. I'd say the Patrol is quite similar on pedal/climb, but I've had the Process for a little over a month now and I couldn't be more happy. It's like a mini-DH/bike park rig that can also get out on 40-50 mile XC rides.

Just know this...point it down a hill and you'll have more fun than you know what to do with.

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2015 at 10:48 Quote
hjulian wrote:
I'm looking for an enduro bike and stuck between the patrol 2, process 153 and the reign 1. My budget is 5k. I know the reign 1 is 6k but I can get a deal on one. I like the patrol because it is my dream bike but the process is the least expensive at 3500. The reign I heard is a little sluggish on the climbs. Thanks for you help!

If you can demo all of them, do it. I test rode my friends Process before I bought mine. I love the bike. It's not a 25lb xc bike on the climbs, but it gets you up just fine. Coming down is a different story. They rip. Point and shoot, or pop off every root and rock.

A friend of mine bought a carbon reign, and he's loving his. Climbs well and rips the downs. Haven't tried a Patrol yet.

Posted: Apr 6, 2015 at 14:10 Quote
Thanks everyone!!!

Posted: Apr 6, 2015 at 14:12 Quote
It's only money, can't take it we ya. If your dream bike is the patrol get it. Although the process is better.... Not that I'm biased ahem

Posted: Apr 6, 2015 at 16:15 Quote
markg1150 wrote:
It's only money, can't take it we ya. If your dream bike is the patrol get it. Although the process is better.... Not that I'm biased ahem

I still need to ride the patrol but I have riden the process and it was pretty sick.

Posted: May 17, 2015 at 11:43 Quote
I’m stuck between the same 3 bikes. Have you made a decision? Did you get to try them all? What can you say about them? About climbing, DH riding and the suspension?

Posted: May 17, 2015 at 20:44 Quote
ginow wrote:
I’m stuck between the same 3 bikes. Have you made a decision? Did you get to try them all? What can you say about them? About climbing, DH riding and the suspension?

I've ridden all 3. The Patrol and the Process have a similar feeling from the rear end. I'd say that the Patrol climbed and pedaled better. But I preferred the headangle on the Process.

I hated the Reign as I don't like that super soft feeling it has from the rear suspension. It's super plush and smooth but I thought it was pretty crap on the climbs. It also couldn't pump the trail at all.

Posted: May 19, 2015 at 22:25 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
ginow wrote:

I've ridden all 3. The Patrol and the Process have a similar feeling from the rear end. I'd say that the Patrol climbed and pedaled better. But I preferred the headangle on the Process.

I hated the Reign as I don't like that super soft feeling it has from the rear suspension. It's super plush and smooth but I thought it was pretty crap on the climbs. It also couldn't pump the trail at all.

Thanks for the comments!

Don't like that soft rear suspension feeling you mention on the Reign.

Between the Process and Patrol

How did you feel the difference on the seat tube angle and top tube length ?
Process... 74 deg... 601 mm
Patrol... 75.4 deg... 583 mm

And what do you mean you like better the head tube angle since the Process 66.5 deg and the Patrol 65 deg ?

Did the head tube angle feel slacker on the Patrol o did the whole geometry feel better in the Process?

Posted: May 19, 2015 at 23:00 Quote
ginow wrote:
panaphonic wrote:
ginow wrote:

Thanks for the comments!

Don't like that soft rear suspension feeling you mention on the Reign.

Between the Process and Patrol

How did you feel the difference on the seat tube angle and top tube length ?
Process... 74 deg... 601 mm
Patrol... 75.4 deg... 583 mm

And what do you mean you like better the head tube angle since the Process 66.5 deg and the Patrol 65 deg ?

Did the head tube angle feel slacker on the Patrol o did the whole geometry feel better in the Process?

I can't really comment on the reach and seat angle as I rode different sizes sorry.

For me I feel that the 65 degree head angle on my Patrol has taken some time to get used to whereas bikes closer to 66.5 or 67 have always felt quite intuitive to ride. But this is of course probably quite a personal view and some people would feel the opposite.

I think they are both really good bikes. I considered the Process but it's lack of a bottle mount was a deal breaker for me as I hate riding with a pack.

Posted: May 20, 2015 at 2:32 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
I think they are both really good bikes. I considered the Process but it's lack of a bottle mount was a deal breaker for me as I hate riding with a pack.

There is bottle mount, but on not the best place, on the downside of the downtube.

Posted: May 20, 2015 at 2:51 Quote
resurection wrote:
panaphonic wrote:

There is bottle mount, but on not the best place, on the downside of the downtube.

Yeah we always have a good laugh when we see one of those caked in mud.

Posted: Jun 10, 2015 at 14:53 Quote
i rode the process 153 a good amount and bike feels long and front end seems to like to dip on jumps, climbs decent! patrol 1 felt more playful and lighter even thou it wasnt much..3 lbs. patrol top tube feels longer than the kona for sure. the two feel very similar but i think the patrol wins the playfulness and climb! not sure the extra money is worth it. i really want to give the reign a test as well but there isnt any rentals near me

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 19:38 Quote
id say the giant reign 1 as i just got mine and is faster than my dh bike on double black trails and it can ride up well enough to enjoy all round an amazing bike.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010747
Mobile Version of Website