dealing with asthma

• Previous Page
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 at 14:30 Quote
just wondering if you guys out there who have asthma have any hints or tips on things i can do b4 i go riding.... i have no problem with breathing until the point where i start jumping my bikes or smashing my way down hills. im sick of trying to put everything i got into hitting the tracks when by the end of it im gasping for air

thanks adam

Posted: Jan 20, 2008 at 14:31 Quote
mine isnt bad havnt had to take the stuff since 2002 but my advice bring your puffers puff up before you go

Posted: Jan 20, 2008 at 14:36 Quote
hodges wrote:
just wondering if you guys out there who have asthma have any hints or tips on things i can do b4 i go riding.... i have no problem with breathing until the point where i start jumping my bikes or smashing my way down hills. im sick of trying to put everything i got into hitting the tracks when by the end of it im gasping for air

thanks adam
i just try to keep a normal breathing pattern and don't keep puffing learning to pump a course will help you pedal less therefore needing less breathing if none of these work get a small oxygen tank and mount it to your frame with the tube or mask in your helmet

Posted: Jan 20, 2008 at 14:37 Quote
From personal experience:

- 20mins before you ride, take a double dose, then keep it on you.
- Try and concentrate on you breathing, chances are you are holding your breath when jumping.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 15:55 Quote
all that stuff is great advice, but try working on fixing your asthma not just trying to get a quick fix for a 3 minute race. I do alot of running, that helps build up your lung capacity, i saw my doctor and got some help with mine, still take my puffer and i still am tired by the end but it doesnt slow me down.

Posted: Jan 23, 2008 at 15:58 Quote
my asthma is more from allergies than anything, but i find that the inhaler works as well as water and steady breathing

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 7:07 Quote
mine isn't too serious, only really bothers me if i go riding in the cold then come into warmth, but other than that i just try to keep my breathing normal...cause i lost my puffer a long time ago and don't want to get a new one lol

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 21:27 Quote
Get a puffer? I have asthma too, you will live.

Posted: Jan 31, 2008 at 3:19 Quote
unicorn-bob wrote:
Get a puffer? I have asthma too, you will live.

Good input... Rolleyes

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 21:30 Quote
I had it from the day i was born im 14 now and its GONE its weird it doesnt bother me at all anymore.. ive just kept running and training and its gone away

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 21:34 Quote
i had asthma and i just took a deep breath and spat it outCool

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 21:49 Quote
I had asthma... severely.. when i was born i had two cardiac arrests and spent 4 months in the hospital .. and thus asthma was a result from tissue damage in my heart and lungs. I took up running because when i was younger it drove me mad not being able to run.. and after a while my asthma healed over somehow, i haven't touched a puffer since i was like.... 11..... so i guess staying healthy is key, try walking when youv gotta go places you cant bike too. Walk allot, the jog a little.

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 22:01 Quote
[/Quote]i just try to keep a normal breathing pattern and don't keep puffing learning to pump a course will help you pedal less therefore needing less breathing if none of these work get a small oxygen tank and mount it to your frame with the tube or mask in your helmet[/Quote]

what? really? people do that? that seems crazy and dangerous, sorry if I cant read your sarcasm but .. seriously?

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 9:00 Quote
I have asthma and I find that if you take one puff right before a ride I'm fine

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 4:43 Quote
My asthma has gotten better as i have grown.
What happens when you are doing jumps, or anything that involves adrenaline your body will tense up, along with your bronchioles (what causes asthma) If you have another effective way of making yourself relax immediately than you dont need an inhaler. The drug in inhalers (Albuterol) forces your body to relax, including your bronchioles, thus stopping your asthma.
I use my inhaler as little as possible, you become dependent on it and i also get bad side affect, e.g. cramping hands.
Another thing that helps (and is pretty amazing) is a small espresso coffee (dont put much milk in). And also for on the trail, good quality dark chocolate!
My advice is if you get asthmatic while riding, just stop for 5 mins, have some chocolate and sip some water, just sit and relax, and then go riding again.
If this makes you feel any better, asthmatics eventually become much better athletes, many people who have won Olympic medals are asthmatics. They have lived and trained at a disadvantage, their heart and lungs are much stronger than most!
Dont let it get you down!Wink

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012134
Mobile Version of Website