Problem with new Devinci Wilson wishbone eyelet

PB Forum :: Devinci
Problem with new Devinci Wilson wishbone eyelet
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 24, 2015 at 13:38 Quote
photo
So my brother bought himself a new 2015 Wilson after be raving about my 2012 wilson. When he got it we noticed some play at the wishbone/shock eyelet interface the bike also needed the spring changed so we said we will have a look when we get the shock out to change the spring. Straight away we noticed the big alluminium 6mm eyelet bolt had some marks in the head as if it's been overtightened and slightly damaged, when we tried to remove the bolt there was just no budge at all and the inevitable happened the head stripped so we're stuck with a new bike that we can't get the spring changed and we have some play in the rear not what we want from a brand new bike. It seems to me that someone has noticed the play in the assembly process and overtightened the crap out of it with no concern of the poor end user that needs to change the spring. My brother is now stuck with having to drill out the bolt and track down a replacement which I'm sure won't be easy for anime he hasn't even rode. We're certainly not novices at this game and have been through the mill with this crap over the last 15 years but expect better from a brand new bike in this day and age. My question is has anyone else had this problem?

Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 4:21 Quote
I got the new Devinci Wilson this year and am hearing a distinct cracking/clicking noise with the rear is initally compressed and released by pushing the the seat down and up lightly. Haven't diagnosed it yet. But I think it's where the wish bone connects to the frame. The wishbone piece seems to float and it gets off-center in relation to the frame linkage. As far as I can tell from the manufacturer info, I'm not missing any spacers or anything. It's kinda mystifying.

Posted: Dec 19, 2015 at 9:46 Quote
I had to drill out the bolt as it was cemented in. Devinci has been aware of the issue for quite some time now. It definitely sucks though.

Posted: Feb 23, 2016 at 18:54 Quote
right now i just got 2015 wilson and i have same problem this craking/clinking noice bothering me did u find a way to make it stop if so can u tell me how u did it -_- i been working on this bike for 4 hours to make it stop and i cant figure it out so i search if someone hade same issues
burghbike wrote:
I got the new Devinci Wilson this year and am hearing a distinct cracking/clicking noise with the rear is initally compressed and released by pushing the the seat down and up lightly. Haven't diagnosed it yet. But I think it's where the wish bone connects to the frame. The wishbone piece seems to float and it gets off-center in relation to the frame linkage. As far as I can tell from the manufacturer info, I'm not missing any spacers or anything. It's kinda mystifying.

Posted: Feb 23, 2016 at 20:12 Quote
I wish I could tell you what to do. I ended up having my bike should completely disassemble, grease, and reassemble the whole back end of the bike. It did make the clicking/cracking better. But I still get it sometimes. Also it seems there is some play in the read linkage somewhere--I think at the wishbone.

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 22:26 Quote
I bought mine brand new as well. I swapped the rear shock for an Float X2 before I did anything. Had the same issue with the bolt. However I've had zero noise come from the rear end... wonder if it's the vivid??

Posted: Mar 18, 2016 at 8:43 Quote
My Wilson's connection to my Vivid Coil RC2 on the CL pivot is shaking left and right.... I took my shock off and put it back on and suddenly it started to shake.. Can one of you send a picture for reference to the CL pivot so I can see what bolts I'm missing?

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 22:27 Quote
Just changed my spring on my new Wilson and have the same problem now. The bolt seemed to be lock tightened in or cemented in to the wishbone. I think I'll take it apart and put some lick tight where the 6mm bolt goes into the linkage and see if that works tomorrow. Will let you guys know if it works.

Posted: Jun 21, 2016 at 9:00 Quote
I have the same problem with the bolt being over tighten and had to put the wishbone on a vice bench to loosen to get it out. I also have the same problem with the play but I only feel it when the bike complete leaves the ground, I ran into a guy the other day at the mountain who has the same play problem. Both bikes are brand new, now I met a second guy who the problem loosening the bolt but resolved the problem by heating up the bolt with a blow torch and isn't experiencing any play but he switched out the vivid with a Fox DHX2. If anyone finds out a way to get rid of the play please post asap lol

Posted: Jun 21, 2016 at 12:13 Quote
Exactly the same thing. Only happens when bike leaves the ground. When I bounce on my suspension there seems to be some nasty creaking near the rear shock/wishbone area. I'm going to send devinci a message on here with a link to this thread to see if they know what to do.

Posted: Jul 5, 2016 at 18:31 Quote
Finally got a response from Devinci about the rear suspension play--after a year's worth of calling and emailing Devinci, disassembling the rear shock extension and linkage assembly myself, having my shop tear apart the whole rear end of the bike, and asking every gravity shop mechanic and Wilson rider I ran into if they knew what was up with the rear play.

Here's the text from their technical notice:

To: Cycles Devinci dealers
Date: 2015 October
Subject: Lateral play in the shock extension

Affected Bikes:
27,5" Wilson 2015 FC5380, FV5380, FV5384 & FV5392 (black/green & black/red/orange)

Affected part:
Shock extension

Presentation of the problem:
There might be a lateral movement play at the shock extension and linkage assembly.

Corrective actions:
To eliminate the lateral movement play, add the supplied washer between the two linkage bearings.

For more information, please contact Devinci customer at 1-888-devinci.

Posted: Jul 20, 2016 at 22:23 Quote
My wishbone was loose and would keep coming loose after tightening until I did this:

I got blue loctite and some gorilla tape. I put a generous amount of blue loctite on the wishbone eyelet bolt and put g tape on the flat surface to act as a spacer for the bolt. So far after 5 rides, no play. Kind of a ghetto solution, yes, but it seems to be working. Crossing fingers for it to hold up for bike park this weekend.

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 13:23 Quote
Can you send a photo of the washer? How thick is it?

I ended up stripping the bolt on my wishbone trying to take it apart to loctice it.

Posted: Sep 11, 2016 at 21:31 Quote
anospa wrote:
Can you send a photo of the washer? How thick is it?

I ended up stripping the bolt on my wishbone trying to take it apart to loctice it.

Its not really a washer, couldn't find one at home depot with a wide enough diameter that was also very small in height.

I just used a layer of gorilla tape to "preload" the bolt so the threads didn't run out of room to screw in. Added a solid amount of blue loctite as well. Hasn't budged in 4 months and I wouldn't say its been ridden easy. Here's a pic

photo

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 16:00 Quote
HAH, I thought the local shop over tightened / rounded off the lower shock bolt. I'm glad I saw this post before I gave them a hard time about it! (in good fun, of course, they're a cool shop)

For anyone who ends up drilling out the factory bolt, here's the replacement set:

https://www.fanatikbike.com/products/devinci-wilson-27-5-shock-bolt-kit

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.289154
Mobile Version of Website