Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 11:58 Quote
Then you have completely foolish people like me with 2 hardtails and no full suspension.

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
SC38 wrote:
Then you have completely foolish people like me with 2 hardtails and no full suspension.

Not. Fool.... cool ... tup

If I could afford to I would not have given up the big wig I built up while waiting for the rootdown. Or a number of the other frames I’ve riffled through in the last few years. Definitely different tools for different applications. Even the Honzo I had befor the wig was spectacular for all day adventures without fatigue. But it was a twitchy bitch when things got deep.

Must. Win. Lottery.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
SC38 wrote:

Not. Fool.... cool ... tup

If I could afford to I would not have given up the big wig I built up while waiting for the rootdown. Or a number of the other frames I’ve riffled through in the last few years. Definitely different tools for different applications. Even the Honzo I had befor the wig was spectacular for all day adventures without fatigue. But it was a twitchy bitch when things got deep.

Must. Win. Lottery.
Yes, I have an Explosif that has very different characteristics from my Surface. Therefore, it stays. (or slays) It's my Range that I'm considering selling as it's a cobweb collector at this point.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 12:51 Quote
I have the Surface Ti and the Arcturian. I think I should sell one but every time I go for a ride I decide it should be the other bike I sell. Both are super fun. The Surface Ti still blows me away every ride. I probably would love a full suspension but definitely not worth the investment for me without selling one of these. Just means two bikes would be sitting.

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
Man that Arcturian is so sick. Very curious about that and the doctahawk.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 17:16 Quote
switchback249 wrote:
That green Surface is dope! Was that a standard color or custom?

Question for the Chromag collective: I’ve been on my ‘16 surface now for about 3 years and love it. I have it dialed in with a 150mm Fox36 up front, carbon wheels, etc and it’s perfect for the majority of my local rides, mostly solo.
I feel like I’m pretty squarely in the intermediate category skill-wise and have progressed a ton the past few years. I’ve also had no real issues (and a ton of fun) riding Whistler, Squamish, Galbraith etc. but tend to seek out blues and blacks and avoid double blacks mostly.

Sometimes though, I ride with a few other locals on bigger full-sus bikes, better riders than me as well, so no surprise I’m not keeping up and being in my 40’s now I do get a bit beaten up trying to hang with the group. As a result, and I’m sure partly out of FOMO, I’ve started looking at some mid-travel 29’ers like the Smuggler, Norco Sight, etc. I really can’t imagine myself on anything bigger for my needs and usage.

I know, or at least assume, all modern bikes are amazing and climbing performance has come a long way, descending is great etc. Realistically though, what do I stand to gain by going full-suspension? Or what do I stand to lose as I would likely sell the Chromag and transfer over parts where feasible.

I read this thread (and others) and it does seem like there’s folks out there who get a hardtail/Chromag and their bigger bike hangs to gather dust.
Another option I’m considering is slacking out the surface a bit with an angleset, give me just a tad more confidence when the going gets steep..

I’m asking for opinions as I’ve never had a full suspension really. Rigid singlespeed, rigid geared, XC hardtail, Chromag was more or less the progression so far Smile

Thanks guys, appreciate any input!

PS. Sorry for the long post. TL;DR stick with Chromag hardtail or “upgrade” to full suspension and why?

Sounds like you would regret selling the Surface. I've had a couple of FS in the stable, but have always been a hardtail guy at heart. Built up my Surface in 2016 and my FS gathered dust until I sold it recently. If you are FS curious- look for a decent used bike and give it a go, but again- keep the Surface!

SC38 wrote:
This also applies to me.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 20:12 Quote
SC38 wrote:

I've been there. My trails don't "demand" a full-sus and I happily had a regular hardtail and a single speed XC bike. But in the last couple of years I felt like the hardtail was working me on flat landings etc. plus, I do lift access stuff once or twice a year (more this year) and told myself I'd never come back to BC with a hardtail, cause doing lift access stuff here on a Honzo was just unacceptable.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 20:12 Quote
that rootbeer monster is glorious.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 21:13 Quote
It’s an odd thing... I feel a bit smug keeping up with friends while riding a hardtail and they are on FS bikes. Can’t really put a finger on it but I’m buying into it and love the simplicity of the hardtail. I really think a great hardtail is pretty much all most of us need. I don’t know... I love mine and hope my body doesn’t make me need a FS. Just so fun.

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 22:01 Quote
SC38 wrote:
It’s an odd thing... I feel a bit smug keeping up with friends while riding a hardtail and they are on FS bikes. Can’t really put a finger on it but I’m buying into it and love the simplicity of the hardtail. I really think a great hardtail is pretty much all most of us need. I don’t know... I love mine and hope my body doesn’t make me need a FS. Just so fun.

For sure... if I can only have one bike... it would be a HT.... 99% of what I like to ride is easily handled on one...

It sounds cliche but the connection to the trail is much more significant on one.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 22:02 Quote
SC38 wrote:

Nobody needed front suspension either - just ride what yah got & love it. Hardtails are real mountain bikes, they just hurt a bit more.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 22:16 Quote
I do think that’s the key. Ride more. You’ll love whatever bike you are riding.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 22:37 Quote
SC38 wrote:
I do think that’s the key. Ride more. You’ll love whatever bike you are riding.

I'll never love a rigid bike again, no matter how much I ride it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016034
Mobile Version of Website