Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Feb 27, 2017 at 8:11 Quote
ozren0 wrote:
photo
I got to ride this much sooner than anticipated, given the few nice days recently. The trails of Tofurkey Point were much more tame than this bike can handle, but it was a fun ride nevertheless.

Nice bike,200mm dropper?
How do you find the long reach of the BA?

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2017 at 8:27 Quote
ozren0 wrote:
photo
I got to ride this much sooner than anticipated, given the few nice days recently. The trails of Tofurkey Point were much more tame than this bike can handle, but it was a fun ride nevertheless.

You turkey point people are killing me! Stupid don is a grease trap.

Sweet ride, though. And yeah, I imagine that bike can take more than most trails in southern ON

Posted: Feb 28, 2017 at 5:42 Quote
rideonjon wrote:
Nice bike,200mm dropper?
How do you find the long reach of the BA?

Yeah, 200mm 9point8. Best posts out there, and locally made.

The reach is great. Not too long with a 50mm stem. With such a steep seat tube, and slack head tube, it's not a crazy long reach at all. My only wish was that the head tube was bigger as (I believe) all of the sizes have the same sized head tube. I have a 24mm spacer under my stem, and I enjoy some bar drop, so someone that is my height and wants the bars a bit higher will have a bunch of spacers under the stem.

JesseE wrote:
You turkey point people are killing me! Stupid don is a grease trap.

Sweet ride, though. And yeah, I imagine that bike can take more than most trails in southern ON

Oh, I'm a good hour and twenty minutes away from Turkey Point, however on such a nice day and with a bunch of friends wanting to ride, we made the trek. Was well worth it, the riding conditions were perfect, although these 800mm bars took some getting used to. On the 2nd trail we rode, and like 30 seconds apart, I clipped my knuckles on some trees, so I came out of that trail looking like I got into a fight.

I can't wait to ride the Don at some point this summer. Also signed up for the Enduro race at Blue on June 25th. Should be fun.

Posted: Mar 1, 2017 at 20:40 Quote
Mainturion wrote:
Did anyone actually try to fit a 27,5x2.8 rear tyre in a Rootdown (non-BA)?
Did it fit? Ride experience?

I fit 27.5*2.8 WTB trailblazers on i29 rims. No clearance problems at all, good few mm to spare in all areas. This was on the most recent Rootdown pre-BA with the swappable dropouts.

Having said that I'm moving into a M BA now to get the right reach/fit without having to size up to M/L like I did with my pre-BA. Will run 2.8 Schwalbes on 29mm ID rims.

Posted: Mar 3, 2017 at 7:11 Quote
ronufoh wrote:
Mainturion wrote:
Did anyone actually try to fit a 27,5x2.8 rear tyre in a Rootdown (non-BA)?
Did it fit? Ride experience?

I fit 27.5*2.8 WTB trailblazers on i29 rims. No clearance problems at all, good few mm to spare in all areas. This was on the most recent Rootdown pre-BA with the swappable dropouts.

Having said that I'm moving into a M BA now to get the right reach/fit without having to size up to M/L like I did with my pre-BA. Will run 2.8 Schwalbes on 29mm ID rims.

Thanks! May give it a try. I'm now running a 29x2,6 NobbyNic in the back, which I like a lot. I asked Schwalbe to launch a 29x2,6 RockRazor for even less rolling resistance. But still curious to give it a try with a fatter 27,5!

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2017 at 20:55 Quote
As ridden .......

photo

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 7:09 Quote
Thought i'd throw this up after the last post. Nice color scheme.

MY 2015 Chromag Surface

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 9:00 Quote
My winter build project. snow melted just in time.

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 9:45 Quote
hani12 wrote:
My winter build project. snow melted just in time.

photo

Still mad at Chromag for coming out with this right after I built mine. Looks so good.

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 17:39 Quote
Hello guys, I need your help. I have the option to buy either a Rootdown BA or a Wideangle (both 2017). The thing is that because the country I live in, the Rootdown will cost me about 330 USD more than the Wideangle (which I can buy from Jenson). My problem is, does the Rootdown worth the extra dollars or I should get the Wideangle and save that difference? I need to mention that I really like the Rootdown (theoretically) and I came from a Paradox, so I kinda like how 29ers feel. Thank you!

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 18:22 Quote
fcogrt wrote:
Hello guys, I need your help. I have the option to buy either a Rootdown BA or a Wideangle (both 2017). The thing is that because the country I live in, the Rootdown will cost me about 330 USD more than the Wideangle (which I can buy from Jenson). My problem is, does the Rootdown worth the extra dollars or I should get the Wideangle and save that difference? I need to mention that I really like the Rootdown (theoretically) and I came from a Paradox, so I kinda like how 29ers feel. Thank you!

Ugh, tough spot. If you really like 29ers I think you should stick with that. I've looked at these two bikes a lot and the biggest thing for me is the BB height. On the B.A. it's lower, even with 29er hoops. That's huge for me as I always felt the BB height on my 2015 Rootdown was a little tall for my liking. It was, and still is, the same height as the Wideangle and that kinda made it a deal breaker for me. I actually have a confession to make here: I just bought a Honzo, and it was because of the higher centre of gravity. I would have grabbed a B.A. but having to get a pressfit bb and boost hubs and new headset made it way too expensive. My new honzo frame was 600 and I just sold the rootdown for 500. So yeah...
330 extra on a 700USD dollar frame is pretty huge.

Hate to say it, but I'd be looking at other brands, or keep your eye out for sales on Rootdown frames.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 18:37 Quote
Are you allowed on this forum as a honzo owner Wink

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 18:45 Quote
SC38 wrote:
Are you allowed on this forum as a honzo owner Wink

Only cause I started it, haha. I do feel like a traitor, though.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 18:58 Quote
I was torn between the honzo and the surface and I ended up with a Surface and a Rootdown. Of course the only winter we get any real snow. I would have been wise to go with a honzo but man I loved going to Chromag and picking the bikes up directly. Something about a Chromag... the fact that I have two kind of proves it isn't logical. The honzo... that's logical.

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2017 at 5:16 Quote
SC38 wrote:
I was torn between the honzo and the surface and I ended up with a Surface and a Rootdown. Of course the only winter we get any real snow. I would have been wise to go with a honzo but man I loved going to Chromag and picking the bikes up directly. Something about a Chromag... the fact that I have two kind of proves it isn't logical. The honzo... that's logical.

Yeah, it was very practical, but not as romantic. It's still pretty badass, but you can tell the same build quality isn't there. 2015 was the worst year to build up a new bike with Chris King parts. No way I was selling those at a loss and buying boost/PF etc just to get a lower bb and shorter chainstay. Good thing about hardtails is that replacing a frame every other year doesn't hurt too bad. Next frame I may just go custom. If not another Chromag will probably be in my future, maybe even two (yeah right!).

As a Double Bromag you should monitor this forum.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017661
Mobile Version of Website