Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Dec 12, 2018 at 14:49 Quote
Pedantic wrote:
photo

Finally a proper shake down ride. Lots of fun on this bike. Coming from a 2015 Rootdown, the geo feels quite a bit different.

I too am keen to hear your comparison to the 2015 Rootdown, especially thoughts on the geo changes. Thanks

O+
Posted: Dec 12, 2018 at 22:57 Quote
geopedler wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
photo

Finally a proper shake down ride. Lots of fun on this bike. Coming from a 2015 Rootdown, the geo feels quite a bit different.

I too am keen to hear your comparison to the 2015 Rootdown, especially thoughts on the geo changes. Thanks

For comparison sake, my Rootdown was setup with a 140mm fork. My Surface is setup with a 150mm. Both forks we 51mm offset. Stem length and bar width are 50mm and 800mm on both bikes.

The Surface seems to corner better and inspires more confidence on the downhills. I attribute this to what seems to be a lower bottom bracket, longer top tube, and slacker front end. I also think the steering feels faster on the Surface. It rewards a bit more weight towards to front of the bike.

The Rootdown was a fun rowdy bike in it's own rite. The taller bottom bracket was favorable in some situations as I seemed to have had fewer pedal strikes. I found it easier to get behind the saddle on steeps as the top tube is quite a bit shorter.

Both great bikes with many merits.

Posted: Dec 13, 2018 at 12:07 Quote
Pedantic wrote:
geopedler wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
photo

For comparison sake, my Rootdown was setup with a 140mm fork. My Surface is setup with a 150mm. Both forks we 51mm offset. Stem length and bar width are 50mm and 800mm on both bikes.

The Surface seems to corner better and inspires more confidence on the downhills. I attribute this to what seems to be a lower bottom bracket, longer top tube, and slacker front end. I also think the steering feels faster on the Surface. It rewards a bit more weight towards to front of the bike.

The Rootdown was a fun rowdy bike in it's own rite. The taller bottom bracket was favorable in some situations as I seemed to have had fewer pedal strikes. I found it easier to get behind the saddle on steeps as the top tube is quite a bit shorter.

Both great bikes with many merits.

Great info, Thank you so much!

Posted: Dec 21, 2018 at 7:17 Quote
Dear All,

Santa came early this year! Proudly introducing my custom Chromag Primer before its 1st ride as I just finished to build the frame up.

Frame is clear coated raw steel / translucent fading flames (with flakes). It took me a long time before deciding on my one off paint work but the guys at Chromag have been super patient and helpful during the process.

I'm super happy with the result, quality of execution is really outstanding!

It's not only about look, I have carefully selected the components for serious Swiss Alps abuse: Lyrik RCT3 160mm, 27.5+ Hope wheels, Hope brakes and pedals, RF Turbine crank, Chris King headset, Renthal stem & bar, Yep dropper, X01 11 speed drivetrain, can't wait to get it dirty!

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Dec 21, 2018 at 7:55 Quote
That's a sick looking Primer, congrats!!

O+
Posted: Dec 22, 2018 at 11:56 Quote
Sebblandino wrote:
Dear All,
Santa came early this year! Proudly introducing my custom Chromag Primer before its 1st ride as I just finished to build the frame up...

This. This is why I can't stop coming back to check this thread. Chapeau!

Posted: Dec 22, 2018 at 12:04 Quote
Santa??

I don't get shit from Santa.
It's been like 45 years.

Posted: Dec 29, 2018 at 22:15 Quote
Warning: NDS content

photo

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
Built up a 2019 Rootdown last week. Transfered a bunch of parts from a 2016 Yelli. Running the Pike at 150 with a Debonair airshaft. The Rootdown climbs really well on the steep punchy stuff we have here in the Midwest. No wandering at all. I felt right at home with the steep STA. Hit some small 3' - 4' drops, to justify the 150 travel. I'm sold. This thing is a blast.

Still need to tidy up the cables and trim the steer tube.

I need a better camera.
photo
photo

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 14:03 Quote
Not usually a fan of all black bikes, but your Rootdown gets a thumbs up in my book. Nice build.

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
Not usually a fan of all black bikes, but your Rootdown gets a thumbs up in my book. Nice build.

Thanks! I was't 100% sold on the '19 colors, so I had to roll with Black. I was 50/50 on the yellow and blue.

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 14:32 Quote
Looks great. Rode mine today with 2.6 ice spikers, we have a ice snow mix going on right now in New Brunswick. Rootdown is a great winter bike, simple and it’ll handle anything. Super fun on steep stuff.

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2019 at 19:58 Quote
@Atron80 Care to share what frame size is your bike? I'm ready for my purchase of 19 rootdown but I'm between 5'7"-5'8" wondering if I should go Medium or M/L frame. Thanks.

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2019 at 6:05 Quote
Hi Guys,

New Chromag enthusiast here. I'm buying ronufoh's 2017 Primer frame and building it up with mostly old parts. I have a question about chainring mounted bashguard setups. Has anyone on a similar model run one, and what is your crank/bashguard combo? I know there are chainring limitations with the short stays/BB92 but maybe if you ran a 2x or 3x crankset and just used the outermost position for the bashguard? TIA

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2019 at 6:16 Quote
Baksi wrote:
@Atron80 Care to share what frame size is your bike? I'm ready for my purchase of 19 rootdown but I'm between 5'7"-5'8" wondering if I should go Medium or M/L frame. Thanks.

5’11” on a M/L with a 50mm stem and 780 Chromag bars. I might try a 45 stem at some point but it feels great with the 50. Pretty similar to my L Following (I know technically the Chromags reach is longer).

It’s all in the numbers buddy. Not sure what you’re comfortable with... BUT I would think M/L would be too big. Post up some pics when you build it up!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.160656
Mobile Version of Website