Getting back into mountain biking, should I go old or new?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Getting back into mountain biking, should I go old or new?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 2, 2015 at 13:10 Quote
Hello everyone. I'm looking to pick a bike up after not riding for a few years. I've previously owned a Specialized Epic and a older model Rocky Mountain DH. I loved the downhill bike and would like to get something that I can take to the local mountain come summer( Northstar) and ride locally during this winter (CA bay area). My question is should I be looking at newer lower-end DH bikes ( 2012-2015 status) or slightly older higher-end DH bikes(2008-2010 demo 8/ v10). My budget is right around $1500. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted: Nov 2, 2015 at 13:48 Quote
well, i went to morzine this year on an old coyote dh3. Now, Im 15, so it may make some difference, but I will never touch old bikes again.
Im sure an older bike would be ok, but my bike had skinny tires and what seemed to be a 400mm bloody handlebars lol.
Personally, I will always go new, I like the lower weight and newer gear. However old doesnt always mean bad, and at PORC i have seen people on 2010 v10s doing a lot better than I can at the moment, so I guess as long as you get a decent bike and have adequate skills I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. But if it were me, newer tbh

Posted: Nov 2, 2015 at 23:29 Quote
My main concern about older bikes is geometry.
"Back in the days" bikes where short and tall, now they are long and slack.
I think a new bike is the way to go. It got the right geometry and some cheap parts, but the parts you can always change when you can afford it.

Posted: Nov 3, 2015 at 12:28 Quote
Thanks for the replies. I think im going to hold off a little bit and up my budget to find a slightly newer higher end bike. I can't afford a brand new bike and there is no way around that, but I ought to find something very nice for around $2,000.

Posted: Nov 14, 2015 at 22:23 Quote
johnmoore55 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I think im going to hold off a little bit and up my budget to find a slightly newer higher end bike. I can't afford a brand new bike and there is no way around that, but I ought to find something very nice for around $2,000.

If you don't ruin the experience by riding a new bike, a old one will work just fine!! Either way you could get a nice bike for 1500-2000$ if youre willing to buy used off craigslist or pinkbike.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 14:36 Quote
Well you just won a new bike. Cool lucky. best of luck with it

Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 14:58 Quote
Have fun on the Remedy! Maybe post a pic of it?

Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 15:04 Quote
You should totally sell the new bike and buy an old bike...haha

Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 16:12 Quote
Thanks everyone! Pretty crazy stuff. I'm actually still looking to buy a downhill. I've just been waiting until this black friday to see if anything intresting happens. And no I'll definitely be keeping the Remedy haha.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 19:23 Quote
johnmoore55 wrote:
Thanks everyone! Pretty crazy stuff. I'm actually still looking to buy a downhill. I've just been waiting until this black friday to see if anything intresting happens. And no I'll definitely be keeping the Remedy haha.

Haha f*ck yeah I didn't even think about that. Since you have the money saved up for a DH bike you can have both

Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 0:25 Quote
So I finally picked up a downhill bike! Ended up finding the TR500 prototype on craiglist for a pretty good deal. I've already been for a few rides on it and I'm loving it so far!
Just picked this bad boy up to hold me over while I wait for my Remedy.

Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 0:27 Quote
Meh...it's ok....Wink

Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 0:28 Quote
very nice mate, its got top spec components, Im sure it will serve you well Smile

Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 0:39 Quote
Hehe Wink Thanks fellas!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013137
Mobile Version of Website