Trek Fuel EX9 suspension swap

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trek Fuel EX9 suspension swap
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 14:49 Quote
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum here and have a question about swapping suspension. I've got a 2016 Trek Fuel EX9 that came stock with a Fox 34 Performance 120mm travel fork, and a Fox RE:Aktiv 7.25x1.875 rear shock. I'm looking to sell the fork and rear shock and replace the fork with a 34 Factory 140mm fork ,and a Float X 7.5x2 rear shock. I've read that changing suspension with longer lengths can adversely affect the ride of the bike, potentially greatly.

My question is how much could this small change in length really affect the geometry of the bike? Any of you guys done anything like this before? and if so, how'd it work out for you. Any info you guys can give me is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tyler

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 15:06 Quote
First off, grats on getting a wicked bike!

I'd say yeah that small change will make a difference. Not a huge one, but it will make the bike a bit more well rounded, although the modern fuels already ride bigger than their travel. My fuel is a 29er so 120/120 is perfect for me.

Before you up and sell your fork, check with your local shop that's hopefully familiar with suspension as you can usually raise 120mm fox 34s, they usually come stock with a couple spacers to lower them from 140 to 120. Remove the spacers and you should be good to go. Not 100% sure about the 2016 but it's been that way for several years prior.

Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 15:10 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
First off, grats on getting a wicked bike!

I'd say yeah that small change will make a difference. Not a huge one, but it will make the bike a bit more well rounded, although the modern fuels already ride bigger than their travel. My fuel is a 29er so 120/120 is perfect for me.

Before you up and sell your fork, check with your local shop that's hopefully familiar with suspension as you can usually raise 120mm fox 34s, they usually come stock with a couple spacers to lower them from 140 to 120. Remove the spacers and you should be good to go. Not 100% sure about the 2016 but it's been that way for several years prior.

Thanks man!

I love the bike, rides amazing and the RE:Aktiv shock is actually really nice. I think you're right about the spacer idea, but I'd like to get the factory version for more high/low speed compression adjustment and the kashima coat.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 16:04 Quote
Yeah I'd probably keep the reactive rather than going for a flot X as well... I don't know if you'd even see an improvement on a 120mm bike

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 6:24 Quote
You can not add or remove spacers to lower or increase the travel. You will need the FLOAT NA2 Air Shaft Assembly for the 2016 float 34. It cost around $40 for a new air shaft. How do I know this? I changed my 2016 factory float 34 from a 140 to a 120 travel and need a new air shaft assembly.

Posted: May 7, 2017 at 14:29 Quote
ckspeed wrote:
You can not add or remove spacers to lower or increase the travel. You will need the FLOAT NA2 Air Shaft Assembly for the 2016 float 34. It cost around $40 for a new air shaft. How do I know this? I changed my 2016 factory float 34 from a 140 to a 120 travel and need a new air shaft assembly.

Hi Ckspeed... why did you switch down from 140.m to 120mm?

O+
Posted: May 8, 2017 at 1:36 Quote
I changed it to use on the 2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 1 frame into an SX version, that's the only reason.

Posted: May 13, 2017 at 2:00 Quote
I've just swapped to a factory 34 150mm on my trek fuel 9 which had a 130mm 32 performance on. The change has made a massive difference to the ride. Mine is a 2015 bike, with the same rear shock as yours I think. Great bike, and the fork change has really given it a new lease of life. The difference from performance model to factory is big, in my opinion. Read shock is great and I don't think I need to swap that.

Posted: May 18, 2017 at 7:18 Quote
ajs wrote:
I've just swapped to a factory 34 150mm on my trek fuel 9 which had a 130mm 32 performance on. The change has made a massive difference to the ride. Mine is a 2015 bike, with the same rear shock as yours I think. Great bike, and the fork change has really given it a new lease of life. The difference from performance model to factory is big, in my opinion. Read shock is great and I don't think I need to swap that.

ajs any issues when climbing with this much increased travel?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010886
Mobile Version of Website