***Chain Reaction Cycles - SCAM***

PB Forum :: Canada - East
***Chain Reaction Cycles - SCAM***
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 16, 2016 at 16:15 Quote
This is a warning for all Canadians (Ontario) that are thinking of ordering from Chain Reaction Cycles. Chain Reactions now hides a number of undisclosed fees from the purchaser when your order. I just ordered $333.00 of product and was stuck paying nearly $100 dollars in duty/brokerage when it should only amount to 13% in this province. Chain reactions was not willing to offer any tangible help and when I called the shipping company I reached a CSR somewhere in the middle east. BEWARE of Chain Reactions no matter how good the price you are going to struggle trying to make up a 33% mark up when it gets to your door. You can send it back but your stuck with shipping fees to Europe and best of luck getting your duty back from the government. I would recommend Pricepoint, MEC or JensonUSA as they are transparent in the shipping and duty portion of their business. I will never order from Chain Reactions....as they scammed this rider for the last time. It will happen to you, so you've been warned.

Posted: May 16, 2016 at 16:46 Quote
From CRC order form :

"Orders may be subject to Customs Duties and Import Taxes.
If you order goods are under the duty threshold of $20, you will not have to pay import duty.

Any additional charges for customs clearance or administration fees must be covered by you. We have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be. We are unable to reimburse any costs incurred regardless of the circumstances."

I think they're pretty transparent. Also, if you use the standard Canada Post shipping option (9$ if order is below 99$), you won't have any brokerage fees.

I wouldn't call it a SCAM.

Posted: May 16, 2016 at 18:01 Quote
Shitttttt. I just put in two orders (forgot something in the first order) and they should be arriving this Wednesday. First time using CRC (Normally use Jenson but the Raceface Sixc bars were like $12 cheaper on CRC and Jenson's price match was acting up). We'll see what happens...

Posted: May 16, 2016 at 18:21 Quote
CRC has nothing to do with the duty charged to you. The amount of duty you pay is determined by the CBSA (border services). They even have a duty estimate calculator on their website, but this is only an estimator.

Posted: May 16, 2016 at 20:05 Quote
Totally not a scam.... you just have to know what you are doing. These are the options (of which all options say you WILL be charged import duty etc exept for Standard postal which says you MAY incur charges

Standard Postal - Free
Estimated delivery by Canadian Post 7-10 working days pending customs clearance – Orders over $20 may incur Canadian import duty if they are selected for inspection by Canadian customs

Standard Tracked - Free
Estimated delivery 4-6 working days pending customs clearance – All orders over $20 will incur Canadian import duty + a handling charge from our courier

Priority Tracked Express - C$7.99
Estimated delivery 2-4 working days pending customs clearance – All orders over $20 will incur Canadian import duty + a handling charge from our courier

FedEx Tracked Express - C$24.99
Estimated delivery 2-4 days pending customs clearance – All orders over $20 will incur Canadian import duty + a handling charge from our courier

I use CRC for lots of items under $100 and pay the $9 fee to ship just because I can send it untracked parcel which is handled by Canadapost on our end and I have never had a package get charged tax/brokerage and duty.

Even if you spend a decent amount (ie over $100) ship it standard postal (Canada Post) and you will only be charged tax and a $8 brokerage fee....they tend not to bother with duty.

IF you ship DHL or FEDEX (courier) you WILL everytime be charged tax/brokerage and duty.... don't do it.

Posted: May 17, 2016 at 13:17 Quote
Wellll that's where I went wrong I guess. Shipped DHL priority shipping on both since it was only an extra $8 at that point. Got nailed with $40 duties and taxes per order..... Kinda BS how you pay extra to get nailed with a huge hidden fee.....in that regard it does feel like a scam... I'll be sticking to Jenson from now on

Posted: May 17, 2016 at 20:06 Quote
JCFIV wrote:
Wellll that's where I went wrong I guess. Shipped DHL priority shipping on both since it was only an extra $8 at that point. Got nailed with $40 duties and taxes per order..... Kinda BS how you pay extra to get nailed with a huge hidden fee.....in that regard it does feel like a scam... I'll be sticking to Jenson from now on

Whether or not it's a scam, it has nothing to do with CRC.

O+ FL
Posted: May 18, 2016 at 17:45 Quote
Has no one ordered parts from out of country before? It's certainly not a scam, CRC isn't getting any of that money. It's also not a hidden fee, since they clearly state you can or will be charged when you pick a shipping option. That aside, who expects to get something from overseas and not pay duty? You should be expecting it, and if you don't get charged consider it a bonus.

Posted: May 19, 2016 at 18:49 Quote
Worth a read, it's the brokerage fees that really hurt the wallet
http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-brokerage-fees-total-scam-fraud-cheating-avoid-it/

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 10:16 Quote
Yeah, just to repeat what everyone said, that COD brokerage/fee stuff is all government/postal/shipping stuff that CRC got nothing to do with. Learned my lesson on that buying something cheap, but huge, off eBay a few years back.

Once everythings done you don't save really from CRC if you're Canadian. Depends, but usually not.

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 21:04 Quote
Well, after an unexpected hard OTB I managed to tear the side of my vans open. Due to limited options I now have a pair of Five Tens with express shipping on the way..... you win CRC... you win

Posted: Jun 1, 2016 at 4:54 Quote
CBSA calculator
I try to avoid DHL when ordering from CRC. They have always charged more then the CBSA estimate.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

Posted: Jun 1, 2016 at 5:00 Quote
I've had nothing but good luck with Dunbar cycles, and ordered my Saint crank from https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/ with no issues.

Posted: Jun 1, 2016 at 6:42 Quote
JCFIV wrote:
Well, after an unexpected hard OTB I managed to tear the side of my vans open. Due to limited options I now have a pair of Five Tens with express shipping on the way..... you win CRC... you win
hope you sent postal.

Posted: Jun 1, 2016 at 6:43 Quote
tattooed-evil wrote:
I've had nothing but good luck with Dunbar cycles, and ordered my Saint crank from https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/ with no issues.
Dunbar is Canadian so you just pay the tax up front, no worries. Hard to beat CRC prices on some items though. I always check local/dunbar before going to CRC.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014005
Mobile Version of Website