Devinci Spartan alloy vs. carbon

PB Forum :: Devinci
Devinci Spartan alloy vs. carbon
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 25, 2016 at 0:49 Quote
i'm going to order a devinci spartan frame kit to build up.
but i'm still indecisive if i should take the alloy or carbon frame kit.
alloy would be cheaper, but are there any advantages for the carbon, that make it reasonable to pay 600EUR more than the alloy frame?

please let me know your riding experiences

Posted: May 25, 2016 at 10:46 Quote
spicy4me wrote:
i'm going to order a devinci spartan frame kit to build up.
but i'm still indecisive if i should take the alloy or carbon frame kit.
alloy would be cheaper, but are there any advantages for the carbon, that make it reasonable to pay 600EUR more than the alloy frame?

please let me know your riding experiences

I'm not sure how that measures up, but in the US, The carbon frame is almost 2lbs lighter for $500. If you look at other ways to drop 2 lbs off your bike, $500 is a steal. It's worth noting the spartan builds up a little heavier than many bikes, too, so that 2lbs is maybe more significant than it would be on a flyweight frame. The base model still hits 32lbs in carbon, which means damn near a 34lb bike in alloy. I'm no weight weenie, but getting past 33-34lbs in a bike I intend to pedal up hills is when I start taking notice.

Granted, however, that you can drop 2lbs off that build by switching out from the 1305g wire bead, 2ply High Rollers it comes with.

I've ridden both Alloy & carbon. Couldn't tell much a difference, as far a perceived stiffness or anything like that.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2016 at 23:26 Quote
The lower weight, the lifetime warranty on the frame, the internal cable routing and the massive almost square downtube on the Carbon frame looks so burly!

I just built up a Spartan Carbon myself. Went from a Norco Range Alloy to the Spartan and I can notice a difference in stiffness. It could be the new wheels, or the different suspension design, but the Carbon Spartan just feels more solid in all aspects vs my old Range. It climbs much better and just feels so tight and dialed on the trails especially when things get gnarly! I paired it with all Race Face bits, carbon bar, Hope Pro 4 / Flow wheelset and the bike feels pretty light for an Enduro build. I agree with groghunter that it would be pretty hard to shed roughly 2 lbs off the alloy version and with a difference of roughly $500 in Canada...it's a no brainer if you were to do a build up from the frame vs buying a complete.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Posted: May 28, 2016 at 8:02 Quote
Trza wrote:
The lower weight, the lifetime warranty on the frame, the internal cable routing and the massive almost square downtube on the Carbon frame looks so burly!

I just built up a Spartan Carbon myself. Went from a Norco Range Alloy to the Spartan and I can notice a difference in stiffness. It could be the new wheels, or the different suspension design, but the Carbon Spartan just feels more solid in all aspects vs my old Range. It climbs much better and just feels so tight and dialed on the trails especially when things get gnarly! I paired it with all Race Face bits, carbon bar, Hope Pro 4 / Flow wheelset and the bike feels pretty light for an Enduro build. I agree with groghunter that it would be pretty hard to shed roughly 2 lbs off the alloy version and with a difference of roughly $500 in Canada...it's a no brainer if you were to do a build up from the frame vs buying a complete.

Agree on how amazing the Spartan climbs, it punches far above it's weight for a 165mm bike. I came off a 2012 Titus El Guapo, which should be a better climber at 150mm, & nope. Spartan feels far more spritely, especially up punchy, stand-up climbs. To be fair, if you go look at Andrextr's breakdown of it's suspension, it's got a really good anti-squat curve, & more progression than most AM bikes.

Considering how most reviews say it's climbing is only middle of the road, I'm really curious to swing a leg over something like a Troy & feel the difference.

Posted: May 28, 2016 at 14:05 Quote
Trza wrote:

good arguments, but it's actually only 1,54lbs difference and money saving would be 864can$. So it's worth thinking about alloy version. the external cable routing isn't that bad. sure internal looks cleaner but i like the easy task in case of mechanic works/repairs.
i already ordered the new schwalbe aerothan evo. so you can save pretty much in rotating wheights. my last bike was a lapierre spicy 316 with 14,5kg. pedaling uphill was very good. but i missed a little control in highspeed root sections and in cornering. bb height.
i like climbing my trails by myself, but it doesn't really matter to me if it takes 5minutes more or less. and now i have two bike parks within 5 resp. 20minutes from my door. so i was looking for something rougher.

Posted: May 28, 2016 at 22:56 Quote
Trza wrote:
The lower weight, the lifetime warranty on the frame, the internal cable routing and the massive almost square downtube on the Carbon frame looks so burly.

hi trza
but there is one question i still couldnt answer. come only carbon frames with lifetime warranty or alloy too?? this would be i guess the only reason for buying carbon. especially considering environmental aspects. might sound weird but recycling is always in my mind.

you know the warranty answer?

Posted: May 29, 2016 at 8:38 Quote
Both carbon and alloy has lifetime warranty. It's my dilemma as well. The difference between alloy and carbon built spartan is 1.08lbs. Alloy is 600cad cheaper here in Bc so I dunno, Can't really decide. Frown

Posted: May 29, 2016 at 12:49 Quote
jeiR wrote:
Both carbon and alloy has lifetime warranty. It's my dilemma as well. The difference between alloy and carbon built spartan is 1.08lbs. Alloy is 600cad cheaper here in Bc so I dunno, Can't really decide. Frown

i'll go for the alloy. because with only 40€/$ you can save almost one pound by riding the new schwalbe aerothan evo. and with the rest of the 500bucks saving by buying alloy you can pimp up your alloy frame. so what i save with the frame i can buy lighter parts. buy the carbon frame and you have to save money elsewhere. so in the end you end up at almost the same weight i guess.
its a fact of preferences maybe..dont know.

Posted: May 29, 2016 at 20:01 Quote
spicy4me wrote:
jeiR wrote:

i'll go for the alloy. because with only 40€/$ you can save almost one pound by riding the new schwalbe aerothan evo. and with the rest of the 500bucks saving by buying alloy you can pimp up your alloy frame. so what i save with the frame i can buy lighter parts. buy the carbon frame and you have to save money elsewhere. so in the end you end up at almost the same weight i guess.
its a fact of preferences maybe..dont know.

This. +10 tailwhip

Posted: May 30, 2016 at 18:34 Quote
if your budget can accommodate a good set of wheels and decent drive train go carbon its a steal. if going alloy means getting light and strong wheels compared to heavy wheels go alloy.

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 9:11 Quote
trailmandan wrote:
if your budget can accommodate a good set of wheels and decent drive train go carbon its a steal. if going alloy means getting light and strong wheels compared to heavy wheels go alloy.

I tend to DT Swiss Spline 1501 30mm. And I won't go for a dropper seat post at the moment. 95% of the trails I ride don't require one. It's all about uphill, take a breath or two and then descent all the way down home. Till now I preferred some kind of ghetto styleWink .
Maybe I go for one later.

So as you said, rather light and strong wheels.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2016 at 14:14 Quote
If that is the type of terrain you are riding, I would maybe have a look at a Troy instead?

As well, the Troy comes with a smaller price tag for a carbon frame than a Spartan, that could be the price range that you are looking for that would satisfy the need for a light frame with top end components.

Posted: Jun 1, 2016 at 1:52 Quote
Trza wrote:
If that is the type of terrain you are riding, I would maybe have a look at a Troy instead?

As well, the Troy comes with a smaller price tag for a carbon frame than a Spartan, that could be the price range that you are looking for that would satisfy the need for a light frame with top end components.

I can't agree. Cause I live in the alps.go to switzerland very often and bikeparks too.

so that' why i'm looking for something with more travel and durable frame. the trails I ride are hardly on the smooth side.

sold my cannondale perp, because it was really heavy(17,2kg). bought a lapierre spicy because of enough travel and lighter. I can almost ride anything with it, but it's not that much fun, because I don't like the handling in rough highspeed sections(lenzerheide bikepark, rothorn, brandnertal, some trails)

that's why I landed with the spartan. 15-15,5kg is whhat I can live with.

Posted: Jun 2, 2016 at 10:23 Quote
jeiR wrote:

I've seen different weights, & devinci's website doesn't seem very reliable. But I get the impression the weight difference is far closer to 2 lbs than 1 lb.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012191
Mobile Version of Website