Gambler, FR or DH?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Gambler, FR or DH?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 13:41 Quote
Hi guys!
So, I've sold my bike and already ordered a Scott Gambler FR20, but now though I start to feel a little interested in ordering a DH20 instead. This was my first DH season and I've been riding a Nitrous 20 2007 model, I really liked that bike, it felt like it was made for me!
But, next season, I'm going to participate in competitions and try to get a good score.

The price difference between the DH and FR is something like 100 - 200$ for me, not that big issue.
The DH20 has Avid Code 5 brakes, how much better are these than the Juicy 3,5's?
Main difference is Double Crown vs. Single Crown and that the DH model weights 1kg more (totally 20,5kg).
As I said, I felt really comfortable with my Single Crowned Nitrous, that's why I went with the FR in the first place.
So, what do you guys recommend?

I guess I will have a little bigger chance in competitions with a D-C bike.
But I really enjoy freeridetracks like A-Line and so.

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 22:32 Quote
Ricky Zone,
Well I've only ridden with riders that were running the Totem on their Gamblers and man I'm pretty sure that the fork will not be slowing you down in the slightest after seeing them tear trails up. You know the Code 5 has TONS of stopping power-do you need it, well that really is for you to decide. They all come with adjustable travel and different rear drop outs for shorter or longer chain stays-heck you can swap these around for different courses if you really wanted to. So in my opinion stick with your original purchase, I think you'll be stoked.

Posted: Oct 5, 2007 at 12:56 Quote
I'd go for the DH20, the pros (stiffer wheels, better brakes, better/stiffer fork and fork to handlebar interface Wink , better cranks and guide) are much more than the cons (worse steering and 1kg more). It's a much stiffer build than the FR and at not so much of a weight

Posted: Oct 5, 2007 at 15:41 Quote
If it's not too much of a hassle, go for the DH20 for reasons already mentioned.

Posted: Oct 6, 2007 at 12:53 Quote
Yeah, but I can always change parts, but I'm thinking of Single Crown vs Double Crown.

Posted: Oct 6, 2007 at 13:00 Quote
go with the single crown it will do you just fine and it is liter in the front so if you come to a drop slow you can pull up better i run a single and it does me fine on the rought

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 8:09 Quote
Just to give you some updates, I changed my order for a DH20 just a few minutes ago, and it feels great!
One of the main reasons was that they are going to have these bikes for rental in the biggest DH Bike Park in Sweden, and that is a big pro according to me. Many people come to Åre (as it's called) to try DH, and since the shop that's gonna have Gamblers for rental is the biggest, most people are gonna rent DH20.
Then, if they enjoy the sport, they'll probably try to get a DH bike, and since they (if they) felt comfortable with the DH20, then that's what they'll try to get, which will make it easier for me to sell (when/if I do).

Another reason is that I used a Single Crown this year, so I felt for trying something new!

And it's gonna be f*cking sweet with Code 5's, 888 RV and that MRP Chainguide.

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 15:22 Quote
Both the gambler DH and FR have 3 shock travel position's(190,200,230mm),It doesn't make no difirence to buy a FR or a DH version.You can make the FR version a worthy DH racing rig and The DH version to a FR bike.Just by switching the shock position on the bike.All Gambler's come with adjustable headtube's.But it's the components that make a difirence on the gambler's next to the price tag.

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 15:33 Quote
Hey guys! I have no idea about bikes or anything so I thought I'd sk you guys. the experts. I ended up with this bmx thats been sitting in my garage the past couple of years and I was thinking about what the hell to do with it. I was told its a norco spitfire and it's in great condition. Is this bike to old to sell or should I just take it to the dump? Let me know. thanks!

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 15:36 Quote
ok that is cool and no dump with the bike try to sell if can that is the best bet

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 at 9:54 Quote
the really only difference is the rear supinsion is set deifferently then the fr20 and the dh 20 has a double crown the drop outs will also be set differently you can adjust the travel in the rear as well as the drop outs

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016992
Mobile Version of Website