Alternate shocks for 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Alternate shocks for 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 22:53 Quote
I'm fortunate enough to own a 2016 Carbon Stumpjumper. Its a great bike, but I'm looking to get some more performance from the rear shock. The existing tune is very soft and linear, which is unsurprising considering the bike is an all purpose trail bike and is likely designed to give more of a more comfortable ride than a supportive "racing tune".

I find i have to run close to 19% sag and run the #2 trail CTD setting to stop the bike using ridiculous amounts of travel on medium hits and at speed. This though is at the sacrifice of small bump performance, so ideally id have a bit more ramp up/progression so i can run a bit more sag, and a larger negative air chamber with a similar amount of compression and rebound damping. I also find the shock gets very hot on prolonged descents and loses some of the rebound and compression damping. A piggy back would be nice, but i don't know whether one will fit with the available space.

Has anyone had a go at putting a different shock into the stumpy? Are there upgrade shocks with the specific mounting, or would i have to have a go with the aftermarket yoke? Has anyone tried to fit a shock with a piggy back? If its not possible, I'm happy enough with the tune I've settled on, but i reckon there is room for improvement to suit my riding style.

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2016 at 14:29 Quote
I'm not aware of any piggy back shocks that are compatible with the stumpjumpers, but you can get a rockshox monarch RT3 with a 197x48 specialized mount and you can also add on a debonair can and volume spacers to make for a shock that has good small bump compliance while still remaining progressive. The monarch RT3 with the specialized mount also has autosag and 3 different compression modes.

Posted: Jul 2, 2016 at 4:29 Quote
I'll bump this. I've got an Aluminium Elite and felt the same. I have bought a Vorsprung Corset air sleeve but doesn't help a great deal. Makes the climbing SA ridiculous and can't put enough pressure in it to run nicely. I have converted my Pikes to coils with TF Tuned and they out perform the rear drastically that it's almost unbearable. I have been looking into purchasing a yoke conversion to enable running of a standard shock as there is literally nothing out there available. I have seen some of the pros running Ohlins air/coil shocks so there must be a way of converting them but Ohlins won't do it for non pro's. Unsure if there are any other options/ideas out there but it's beginning to make me want to sell the frame and go to another company.

Anyone else have any input. I have tried the Monarch and found it very similar problems to the Corset sleeve.

Posted: Jul 2, 2016 at 7:38 Quote
I've been doing a bit more research since my original post. The leverage curve is a fairly linear relationship if not mildly progressive. From the leverage ratio and my experiences with the bike using a ton of travel, I've inferred that the existing shock air chamber volume needs to be reduced to add some progression and support. Volume spacers are available for the stock fox shocks, but depending on your weight, I'd look at getting a corset/evol/debonair sock.

To further improve small bump compliance the corset/evol/debonair air can help, which it does via a large negative air chamber. The large negative air chamber allows for higher overall positive air chamber pressures and hence good mid stroke support while maintaining a reasonable amount of sag. Additionally the larger negative air chamber allows better tuning of the amount of sag, mis stroke support and bottom out resistance with volume spacers. However, on average the bike has an overall high leverage ratio which means that the corset/evol/debonair cans might not work for heavier riders due to the large air pressures required. This could possibly be remedied by reducing the volume of the positive and negative chamber but it'll vary with weight and there could be a limit before you might as well just consider reducing the volume of the existing shock.

I've ordered a 197x48 RS Monarch Plus RT3 Debonair and will experiment with volume spacers. I got the plus version to try and keep the damping consistent on longer descents.

Posted: Jul 2, 2016 at 12:25 Quote
Hmm, I've already reduced the size of the negative air chamber on the Corset and I'm using the largest volume spacer available for the Fox CTD. Could you sebnd a link to the shock you've ordered. Looking online I can only find ones that are compatible up to 2015 Stumpy's?

How much do you weigh OOC? I weigh around 13 stone so not overly heavy considering I'm 6ft7 and just find the Corset provides no support what so ever. As soon as things start getting rough it sits way too far in it's travel and feels like I'm riding a sofa. This however could be down to the shocks support itself and due to the beginning stroke being so supple just emphasises that feeling further.

Posted: Jul 2, 2016 at 21:45 Quote
Here is the link to the shock I've ordered. Look for the 197x48 Stumpjumper 27.5/29 in the drop down menu.
http://www.jensonusa.com/Rear-Shocks/Rockshox-Monarch-Plus-RC3-DB-Rear-Shock

I should add, that in all my previous posts I'm referring to the 650b stumpjumper which has different kinematics to the 29er.

You're a solid 30kg more than me which is unsurprising considering you're much taller than my relatively meager 5'10 height. I'm not sure of this, but you might be able to run more than 1 volume spacer in the fox shock. Id be surprised and disappointed if you cannot, but would definitely recommend it. If you cant, id look at reducing the volume of the original fox shock and running approx 25% sag and never using the descend compression setting. Unfortunately if that doesn't work, the stumpy might not be the bike for you. The high leverage ratio and linear leverage curve has its limitations with large negative air chambers and rider weight, and youd be better off with a bike that has an overall low leverage ratio, or a very progressive leverage curve.

As a side note, if I was your height id definitely look at a 29er; something like the Jeffsy which has great suspension kinematics.

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2016 at 12:37 Quote
They have a conversion yoke out now. Here is the link. http://www.suspensionlink.com/order/stumpjumper/
It's $100 though. Kind of rediculous to me, but oh well. Its kind of a sucky combo having specialized doing their own shock mount and sucking at tuning their shocks properly.

Posted: Jan 9, 2017 at 21:14 Quote
ZeGermans wrote:
Here is the link to the shock I've ordered. Look for the 197x48 Stumpjumper 27.5/29 in the drop down menu.
http://www.jensonusa.com/Rear-Shocks/Rockshox-Monarch-Plus-RC3-DB-Rear-Shock

I should add, that in all my previous posts I'm referring to the 650b stumpjumper which has different kinematics to the 29er.

You're a solid 30kg more than me which is unsurprising considering you're much taller than my relatively meager 5'10 height. I'm not sure of this, but you might be able to run more than 1 volume spacer in the fox shock. Id be surprised and disappointed if you cannot, but would definitely recommend it. If you cant, id look at reducing the volume of the original fox shock and running approx 25% sag and never using the descend compression setting. Unfortunately if that doesn't work, the stumpy might not be the bike for you. The high leverage ratio and linear leverage curve has its limitations with large negative air chambers and rider weight, and youd be better off with a bike that has an overall low leverage ratio, or a very progressive leverage curve.

As a side note, if I was your height id definitely look at a 29er; something like the Jeffsy which has great suspension kinematics.

I ordered the same shock from jenson and they sent me the monarch plus autosag (no debonair) 2 times! Were you able to get one with debonair that fit straight on your 2016 SJ 650b?

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 18:03 Quote
For those still looking, rockshox rear shocks built specifically for the stumpjumper are available from any shop with a QBP (Quality Bicycle Products) account. I ordered my Monarch Plus Debonair that way and have gotten a couple for customers as well.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 7:42 Quote
To improve the support of the rear shock, add a volume spacer. You don't want a bigger air can (Debonair), you want the RIGHT size air can. I run the second-largest volume spacer from Fox in mine. It allowed me to run less sag and get better support deeper in the stroke so it doesn't blow through the travel.

You can get the Monarch Plus RC3 from any shop, as mentioned. They come with the non-Debonair air can. The standard air can works better on the stump for general riding and especially for xc race-inspired tuning. We have upgraded a bunch of bikes to the Monarch Plus RC3 for more-better heat management for bike parks and big mountain days.

mk

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 10:51 Quote
With the Monarch RC3 shock what kind of water bottle can you fit?

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 12:30 Quote
bowbikebuilder wrote:
I'm not aware of any piggy back shocks that are compatible with the stumpjumpers, but you can get a rockshox monarch RT3 with a 197x48 specialized mount and you can also add on a debonair can and volume spacers to make for a shock that has good small bump compliance while still remaining progressive. The monarch RT3 with the specialized mount also has autosag and 3 different compression modes.

monarch debonair is what I have on my evo... works great even for a fatty like me. I can fit a full size water bottle.. much better than on my enduro with crane creek ctd

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 20:39 Quote
I love my Monarch rc3+ debonair on my 2016 650b stumpy. I can barely clear a water bottle on my medium sized frame.

Posted: Feb 9, 2017 at 5:19 Quote
Anyone know availability ETA and pricing on the Ohlins STX 22?

Posted: Feb 11, 2017 at 20:37 Quote
Dvo said they were going to make a version of their shock for the stumpy

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013918
Mobile Version of Website