In need of new brakes for DH and flowtrack

PB Forum :: Downhill
In need of new brakes for DH and flowtrack
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 12, 2016 at 19:53 Quote
Hi,

I recently restarted mountain biking and haven't been in the game for at least 8 years. I bought a new bike in my budget but after some park days, I think I will need to upgrade my brakes soon. I currently have Shimano BR-M445 disc brakes.

I'm around 100kilos geared up and I think the brakes I have right now cannot handle the abuse of a more heavy rider. After 2-3 runs, they start to loose power and they become more on/off with no modulation. They are freshly bleeded.

I want a good stopping power when needed, but I still want to be able modulate the power when I just need to slow down a bit.

I was looking at the Shimano Zee, but someone told me to look at the SLXs since they are really cheaper.

I ride a mix of freeride/flowtrack and technical. The runs are around 3-4 minutes each where I ride, but I will spend a week in Whistler later this summer if that changes something for the brakes I need to look at.

Thanks

Posted: Jul 13, 2016 at 1:38 Quote
At 100 kilos get the Zees, your hands will thank you.

FL
Posted: Jul 13, 2016 at 18:44 Quote
I just put SLX's on my big bike and they took whistler this past weekend great and are amazing for the money, but I am a pretty lightweight rider and if you could afford it go for the zees.

Posted: Jul 14, 2016 at 11:20 Quote
Thanks for answering.

I will probably try to get some Zees but are there any other brakes I should consider in the price range of the Zees or even less?

Abd for now I will continue to ride with the one that came on my Voltage but I will change them before my trip.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 17, 2016 at 21:50 Quote
Maxq171 wrote:
Thanks for answering.

I will probably try to get some Zees but are there any other brakes I should consider in the price range of the Zees or even less?

Abd for now I will continue to ride with the one that came on my Voltage but I will change them before my trip.

Zee is the best value for powerful (4 piston) brakes. I weigh about 225 and the Zee's are great (and cheap).

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009198
Mobile Version of Website