Dh tyre on enduro bike

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 7, 2016 at 15:27 Quote
I have been riding quite a lot of downhill on my capra and i am struggling to get enough grip.. My plan was to run a high rollers II DH at the front and move my mavic crossmax 2.4 tyre to the rear. Would this work? and would it be ok on XC trails, if I am not to concerned about how fast I can ride them? Or should I buy another tyre for trail riding?

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 at 22:05 Quote
Only you can answer that question. Nobody else knows where you ride, how hard, seasonal conditions, what tires you currently use, etc.
DH tires can be a little heavy for trail rides, but some terrain calls for burly tires. Once again add up your needs, weigh the benefits vs. drawbacks and do it.

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 at 22:46 Quote
Its going to work just fine.

I run a high roller 2 front and ardent rear on my trail bike.

The tire compound is just as important to consider. I tend to like running a softer compound in the front than the rear.... or 3C all around.

you can also try running lower pressures in your tires.... but that can be a dangerous dance if you're running tubes... bring a spare/patch Wink

Posted: Aug 7, 2016 at 23:06 Quote
I use Maxxis DHF, and DHR II on my Enduro bike. Both are the 3c Exo model. The only true DH tyre they make is the wire bead model. Any tyre without the wire bead would be fine on xc/trail riding.

Posted: Aug 8, 2016 at 8:29 Quote
When it's more wet in my forest (autumn,winter,early spring) i'm going with shorty on front because when it's raining for few days roots are showing and dirt is geting sticky and my HR2 won't clean that fast but like i said it need to be alot of mud.

Posted: Aug 8, 2016 at 8:32 Quote
I also run Maxxis Minion 3c Exo DHF, and DHR II on my Tracer. Ran Sun Peaks and Kamloops Bike Rank without any grip problems.

Posted: Aug 8, 2016 at 9:46 Quote
Minion dhf front and dhr rear

Posted: Aug 8, 2016 at 13:52 Quote
othert wrote:
I have been riding quite a lot of downhill on my capra and i am struggling to get enough grip.. My plan was to run a high rollers II DH at the front and move my mavic crossmax 2.4 tyre to the rear. Would this work? and would it be ok on XC trails, if I am not to concerned about how fast I can ride them? Or should I buy another tyre for trail riding?

I run a Shorty Dh on the front occasionally and just stick to a normal HR Il Exo on the rear. It doesn't take long to get used to the weight and the rolling speed isn't that bad with just one on the front.

I would ditch the Mavic Charge altogether. I used to swear by them because of the damping but I think the tyre drops grip levels after just a few rides. Also the casings are very soft and require high pressure to keep stable.

Posted: Aug 8, 2016 at 14:49 Quote
Cheers for your help guys, I think I will buy a dhr2 exo for the rear, and keep switching the charge and downhill tyre for the front, depending on the trail.

Posted: Aug 9, 2016 at 7:47 Quote
I run Maxxis 2.5 Minoin DHF in front and Maxxis Ikon 2.35 in rear. Best set up I've had for AM/trail riding

Posted: Aug 10, 2016 at 7:33 Quote
othert wrote:
Cheers for your help guys, I think I will buy a dhr2 exo for the rear, and keep switching the charge and downhill tyre for the front, depending on the trail.

Yeah DHR or HR is tbh most universal tyre for back.I personaly have HR/Shorty on front and DHR/SS on back and i can roll in all weather type on my forests.

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 13:33 Quote
Maxxis dhr2 folding with 3c is the dogs bollocks. Avoid the dhr1 as it rolls so so slow!

Posted: May 20, 2017 at 23:19 Quote
Hey guys,
I was wondering if you can even run DH casings on enduro bikes I just tried to put one on and no way I was getting it on the rim it was insanely hard can it be done.

O+ FL
Posted: May 21, 2017 at 21:15 Quote
finndog87 wrote:
Hey guys,
I was wondering if you can even run DH casings on enduro bikes I just tried to put one on and no way I was getting it on the rim it was insanely hard can it be done.

Yes you can. A DH casing/wire bead is going to be a lot stiffer and thicker and will require more effort to get it on but theoretically some long as it is the same wheel size it should fit. That being said, there are some tires that wont play nice with some rims. I could not get my WTB's on my Oozys. After having two other people and 6 tire levers in action I gave up because I figured I would have to cut them off if I had any problems! I have has Maxxis, Schwalbe and Conti go on those rims just fine!

Good options for an aggressive front tire- Minion DHF/R, WTB Convict or Vigilante, Conti Baron/Kaiser Projekt, Schwalbe Magic Mary, E13 TRS.

Posted: May 21, 2017 at 22:04 Quote
I can also back this up. I've run DH tires with no issues.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014910
Mobile Version of Website